Pit bull kills owner

Ron_TN

You just never know with dogs. They are still animals. My fiance and I have talked this over and if we ever have kids they will never be left alone with our dogs and we have 2 of the sweetest dogs you can imagine. 

I would trust my dog alone with kids more than ANY human I know.

Here's the evil beast with my kids.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_4617_zps5fa28856.jpg.html]IMG_4617_zps5fa28856.jpg[/URL]

• Like 4

From personal experience, I was like five years old, and was visiting family.  I was clearly told whatever I do, do not run from the doberman dogs.  When I got out of the car with my mother, and we had some distance to walk from the driveway to where our family was standing outside, I heard dogs barking, and the dogs were running in my direction.  What do I do, I panic and run.  These adult dogs were in full sprint barking very loudly and I kept running and running, and they treed me on top of a truck cab.  These dogs were (no joke) within a few feet of me, and it was very traumatic to me

When you run from them - particularly young children - it kicks in their instincts to bring down game. That's hard for a 5 year old to understand.

Other than bat-crap crazy animals, dogs generally are what they are taught to be. Breed characteristics are a generally identified trait. I've seen a pit that was an incredibly big baby obcessed with his tennis ball. He was so obcessed that he'd try to drink water with the ball in his mouth. All he cared about was you throwing the ball for him. Little dogs can be the meanest of the bunch, and just because they are little they get away with a lot more than they should. We have two Rat Terriers and a Rottweiler, and guess which one has bitten our line-in 5-year old granddaughter? I trust the Rotty more than the other two dogs with the children. He's content with being loved, but I would not advise coming into the house, or behind the fence, without someone in the famly having introduced you first.

Edited by SWJewellTN
  • Like 2

Rodriguez emphasized that they had never had problems with the dog in the past. However, in a police report, she told responding officers she had warned Cahill to euthanize the dog because it was violent and unpredictable.

“I don’t want people to think bad of pit bulls,” Rodriguez told WGN. “It was a freak accident
. He loved those dogs.”

Sounds like the only "freak" in this situation was the owners. One paid for his stupidity with his life. This is like carrying a 1911 cocked with the safety off, and then calling it an "accident" when someone gets shot.

Deaths by Pit Bulls speak for themselves. Don't own a dog that you can't control if it turns on you or someone else.
  • Like 1

I think most folks that own Pit Bulls don't ever consider what they were originally bred for and that was to fight to the death in a pit for competition and gambling. Those Pit Bulls from back in the beginning are the same blood lines that about 99.9% of them at some level still have. Yea, you may have a Pit that is 25th+ generation from their beginning but somewhere deep in that dog is it's true breeding and you never know when or if it might show up. The other dog folks have failed to mention is the Doberman. It is another dog that was cross bred by the Germans back in the early days to be a mean vicious dog used by military for tracking and guard use. They are also a dog that was bred for a specific reason and they cannot be trusted. The Germans did this because they could not get this type of reaction out of the German Shepherds they had hope to achieve. It was a lot more difficult to make the Shepherds to be as aggressive as they wanted thus came the Doberman..............jmho   More and more these days your finding law enforcement beginning to use large generalized mutts for training and having great success with them.

You obviously do not know anything about Dobermans.

• Like 5

I can't help but laugh at the Doberman characterizations.  I guess maybe pitbull owners feel the same way, but my experience with the breed has been anything but what Hollywood paints them as.  I'm sure you can train them to be vicious guard dogs by abusing them and keeping them away from any sort of friendly human contact, but the breed has the sinister nickname "Velcro Dogs" because they tend to be very clingy and needy of affection.  The one that presently shares our house with us is most happy when he's laying on the floor and has a drooling toddler crawling all over him, using his ears as reins and his snout as something to smack and slap with five fat little fingers.

He wouldn't know how to bite you if you showed him.

My female is the exact same way. Hell, she is deathly afraid of a baby gate we have because if fell over once and made a loud noise.

• Like 4
I have owned three Dobermans in my life, my last one past a year and a half ago. I was a responsible dog owner, had control of my dog , and controlled who was around him at all times. I have little patience or sympathy for those that do not. The worst are those that allow their dogs to run free off their property. We shouldn't need laws to make them control their dogs, but obviously we do.

Any dog can bite, but unless someone is breaking into your home or attacking you; it is your responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen and your liability if it does.
  • Like 3
  • Administrator

My female is the exact same way. Hell, she is deathly afraid of a baby gate we have because if fell over once and made a loud noise.

I've witnessed ours run for his life, unsuccessfully on the hardwood floors for lack of traction I might add, on more than one occasion when a cabinet door was shut too loudly or a pot or pan fell onto the floor.  It's like watching a giraffe try to breakdance on a frozen pond.

• Like 4
A dog is a dog. I've been bitten by Labs before, on several occasions. I also have a scar on my eyelid as proof to one of the bites. Like others have said you never know what they're going to do but how they're raised has a lot to do with it. My opinion at least.
  • Like 2

Had a friend that was attacked by a St Bernard. Knocked on neighbors door when neighbor opened the door the dog went for his throat, but the dogs mouth happened to be up high enough on his face and jaw that he couldn't close its mouth, or would have probably severed his jugular vein. Teeth did penetrate through his jaw. Dogs are like bulls, never turn your back on an agressive one. My friend had been around this dog several times. Guess dogs can snap and go crazy just like people do.

A dog is a dog. I've been bitten by Labs before, on several occasions. I also have a scar on my eyelid as proof to one of the bites. Like others have said you never know what they're going to do but how they're raised has a lot to do with it. My opinion at least.

That is the first time ever i've heard of a Lab biting a person.

I'm sure he's a great dog. But labs have bitten a lot of kids. Any dog can bite. That's the only point I was trying to make.

•  

Under the right circumstances, I might hurt someone. I can assure you this dog, however, will not bite a human being; especially a child.

I have never owned a pit, but have been around them often enough to know a few things about them which goes for most large breeds. First, don't show fear or aggression, like any pack animal they may respond as an alpha to put you in your place. If they are your dog(s) you must always be the alpha, no matter what. While I never like to hurt any dog, sometimes a smack on the nose or backside is warranted. Not for the pain, which should be slight, but for the shock and admonishment. The largest dogs I have owned were rottweilers, and all have been the biggest babies around the family. My son, who was just crawling at the time would be hell on Duke my last rotty, but all Duke would do is sit or lay accross him. But I never left them alone, its just not wise, as even siblings get in fights. I think large breeds get a bad rap, mostly due to irresponsible owners. And due to their size, they cause more damage faster.
  • Like 2

That is the first time ever i've heard of a Lab biting a person.

Under the right circumstances, I might hurt someone. I can assure you this dog, however, will not bite a human being; especially a child.

Because of the sheer number of Labs out there it's actually pretty common. That being said, they are rarely deadly like the other breeds.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2010/10/29/dangerous-dogs.html#slide29

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2013.pdf

Edited by Erik88

Because of the sheer number of Labs out there it's actually pretty common. That being said, they are rarely deadly like the other breeds.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2010/10/29/dangerous-dogs.html#slide29

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2013.pdf

Interesting stuff. My opinion was based solely on personal experience and not any formal study data.

By breed, the only dogs that were not improperly trained/cared for that I've had trouble with were Chows and Chihuahas, If a Chihuaha weighed 100 pounds, you wouldn't be able to leave your house. They'd terrorize the country.

Edited by gregintenn
My opinion basically echos others here that it has everything to do with upbringing and ownership. We have two Pit Rottweiler mixes, a Staffordshire and a couple other mutts. They would all rather snuggle than bite. If you have large breed dogs you must be a responsible owner with complete control of your dogs. Maintaining you are the leader is part of that. I also believe dogs can be like humans and some are just off. I think if you look into these incidents further there will be clues as to why it happened. It happens more with pits because of morons trying to make them more aggressive instead of actually working with and loving their dog. I've been around large dogs all my life. Been bitten by several other people's dogs. Worst was a neglected mutt. I truly believe it's 99% owners fault and the dogs are just dogs.
  • Like 4

Pits have been bred to be what they are now. It's a shame.  

I have one and ride the fence on the matter.  I side with the typical PB lover in that, they ARE very misunderstood.  I don't side with PB lovers in that they are NOT always the lovable sweetheart.  Pit Bulls are a 'Might Makes Right' dog.  Works out fine for me, I feel the same way.

If you're the kind of person who asks your dog to do something, pits are not for you.  

If you have ANY issue asserting your will and dominance, pits are not for you.

MY pit will do ANYTHING I tell him to, inasmuch as he has the ability to understand.  I love him and would fight over him any day.  I do NOT ask him to do anything, I TELL him.  I've been accused of being abusive because when I tell him to do something, I sound something akin to John Kreese.  BUT, he minds, he respects me and he gets frequent belly rubs and crock pot deer ribs and neck meat, I ain't eatin' it but he loves it.  

We have a simple routine and he has it memorized.  I let him out of the shop in mornings.  He hangs out outside (fenced in yard) for the day and comes back in at night.  He waits for me every morning and every evening.  I can actually go through every ritual he and I have without some much as a word.  I say all this but....I don't trust him.  Not me mind you, others.  I will bite him on the nose and dare him to give me a dirty look, but I don't trust him around others.  He hates EVERYONE but me and my wife.  I don't wanna sound hippy but it ain't his fault.  He didn't ask to be the way he is.  Fortunately for him, he got rescued while he was young and I gave him a good home and kept him outta trouble.  

kovesensei250jpg_zps50fc4669.jpg

• Like 2

I swear that dog is smiling for the camera! :)

Sure he is. For some reason, he loves posing for photos. I don't pretend to believe he knows what's happening, but there's something about it he likes.

Anything for attention I guess.

Edited by gregintenn

Saw a cool show on Netflix/NatGeo regarding the science of dogs. They form very unique chemical bonds with their humans and vice versa.

One study revealed when you are loving on your dog, both you and your dog are releasing oxytocin which is known as the binding hormone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin

The bond can be very defined as with Caster's dog or as broad as with a "TV perfect" dog.

A hard truth is they are still animals which can and will behave erratically based on situational influences.

Please don't smile at a strange / unknown dogs! Bearing your teeth in a human smile is threatening to most critters.

I have been a pit owner /breeder and lover for 25 years.

These dogs need to be socialized  like every other dog breed. 

If done properly , you cannot ask for a better pet and protector.  BUT.. chain them up.. never take them anywhere and dont teach them the basic/advanced commands.. They are and can be dangerous, in the hands of people who dont care about the breed except how it makes them look. And that goes for any breed.. 

The crap they are breeding now.. called Bullies.. are a sick version of the old bloodlines and dont even resemble anything a pit used to look like.We own a female who I would trust with anyone.. absolutly.. would I put her alone with her on the ground and leave my grandbaby  with her? no way.. ever.. because she is a dog and she has preydrive.. like any other dog. She is the sweetest dog in the world. her only fault is that she loves to sit on people and sing to them.. ..Now Gus on the other hand is a bit hestitant with others, and i am sure if we let him,. he would eat someone .. he is a good boy but way worse that any other dog we ever owned.. and he is  very well socialized. 

Accident and maulings happen because of  the people who own them and have no clue how to raise a dog.. much less a Pit bull.

And those statistics are wrong because not all dog bites get reported...

• Like 3