Pit bull kills owner

Ron_TN

I hate to reveal too much personal information about myself on these kinds of sites, but I will say that I've got a chihuahua mix that is easily one of the most loved dogs in Nashville. I've had him for 7 years or so. He's got 3 legs and is quite possibly the friendliest dog you will ever meet.

He was a street dog for about a year and a half of his life and was found hit by a car. He had heart worms and didn't have a chance in hell of making it out of the operating room, but they took a chance and nursed him back to life. I picked up the bill for the treatment($1,000 is a lot when I was in college).

The only marketable skill I have besides my job in music is working with animals, something I've done my entire life from volunteering as a kid at humane society shelters all the way up to my Nashville beginnings working at grooming facilities to make ends meet while building my music career.

Dogs, very much like people, tend to surprise by destroying the stereotypes that define them.
  • Like 2

I hate to reveal too much personal information about myself on these kinds of sites, but I will say that I've got a chihuahua mix that is easily one of the most loved dogs in Nashville. I've had him for 7 years or so. He's got 3 legs and is quite possibly the friendliest dog you will ever meet.

He was a street dog for about a year and a half of his life and was found hit by a car. He had heart worms and didn't have a chance in hell of making it out of the operating room, but they took a chance and nursed him back to life. I picked up the bill for the treatment($1,000 is a lot when I was in college).

The only marketable skill I have besides my job in music is working with animals, something I've done my entire life from volunteering as a kid at humane society shelters all the way up to my Nashville beginnings working at grooming facilities to make ends meet while building my music career.

Dogs, very much like people, tend to surprise by destroying the stereotypes that define them.

good man, may karma bless you

Edited by NRA
  • Like 1

I've been around enough mean-spirited Chihuahuas in my life to be reasonably sure that the Spanish used to deploy them in packs of 12 to 24 as weapons, hurled across the top of castle walls via trebuchet.  Like little needle-toothedcluster bombs.

We have two dobies and two chihuahuas. The dobies are very protective of our house, but the smallest chihuahua is the one most likely to bite, lol. My dobies are laying on the couch with me asleep watching tv...they love me (and I them) more than
N any dogs I've ever had!

Newsflash!

Add Pomeranians to the killer list.  We had one bite a 67 year old lady today.

I grew up with Labs (and both were great dogs), but the three breeds I would own today are Weimaraners (obviously), Dobermans, and Great Danes.

For some reason, I just love these breeds.

Edited by TN-popo

There is a tendency among us to think of dog ownership and gun ownership in these cases to be comparable things.  The difference is that guns cannot simply "get a mind" to kill someone unless someone interacts with them.  If there were to be invented a robotic gun that--at times, free from any user input, just jumped up and blew an innocent person away, I don't think there would be any of us arguing that 99% of the time robot guns are fine. 

I truly respect those of you who raise pit-bulls to be gentle animals, however I believe you could work equal miracles with much less aggressive and dangerous breeds.  

If pit-bulls cannot be gassed into extinction, at the very least, they should be governed as other dangerous animals are when it comes to ownership as pets.  I would be equally leery of someone who insisted on keeping lions and tigers as pets.  I love lions and tigers, but they belong behind bars when not in the wild, and certainly not in living-rooms.

One last point, I keep reading the statement, "I wouldn't leave children around them".  This was an adult that was killed.  House cats can asphyxiate babies while snuggling up them.  Don't leave your babies alone with any animal that can make physical contact with them.  This was an adult that was killed by a monster, which was trusted--as was the case in so many of these cases.

Edited by atlas3025
"If pit-bulls cannot be gassed into extinction"

Hopefully I don't come off as a jerk, but I've had several dogs and the one that currently has my families heart is an American Pitt-Bull Terrier. Just worked out that way, they were once beloved and like other dominant dogs, were war heroes. People played god and created them, I'd be wary about playing god deciding to eliminate them......

• Like 4

In the late 70's I was fortunate enough to acquire a female Pit Bull that came from a kennel in Illinois that raised fighting stock.  We raised the dog inside and it was a very good pet.  When I got this pup there were 3 or 4 other Pit Bull dogs in town but in the next few years back yard breeders flooded the market with dogs.  Inbreeding is part of the problems today with the breed.  The kennel that raised the fighting dogs would kill any dog or pup that showed aggression toward a human.  It was not tolerated by the owners or handlers to allow the dogs to be aggressive toward other people.  This female we owned lived approximately 12 years and died with cancer.  She was the best pet I ever owned and was very loyal to her family.  The owners of PIt bulls and other breeds considered viscious must register the dogs in town now.  So sad..... :(

Edited by deadeye111
Inbreeding is a massive problem in all breeds. That's why we should spay/neuter, adopt from shelters, and give dogs that otherwise wouldn't have love a place they can call their forever home.

Dogs biggest source of problems are human beings. Humanity playing God and altering the natural progression of dog breeds causes so many problems.

I wish breeders and puppy mills would go out of business, but there are just too many people that walk into awful pet stores and fall in love with animals completely unaware of the conditions they are born into. We've all ignorantly supported these businesses before. My family is guilty of it, and the dogs I had growing up had health problems due to breeding practices.

As for pure breeds, there are countless rescues dedicated to specific breeds.

This is something I'm really passionate about, and I get tired of people using dogs and other animals for selfish reasons. As smart and refined as humans are, we are also selfish, arrogant, and disgusting in some of our practices.
  • Like 4

I think all the hate pit bulls get is pretty lame. I know one of the posters is a cop, but honestly you're not gonna get a call to a house about a friendly pit bull that snuggled his human. You're only going to get the bad calls. Of course it's going to taint your perception.

All I am doing is drawing on my experience from a 20 year cop career.  The majority of dog bite calls we receive involve a Pit.

Now, if you want to make the case for bad owners, inbreeding, etc., I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you...to a point.

However, I still say that some breeds are inherently more aggressive / dangerous than others.

I don't really have an agenda here.

Regards

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1

You're only going to get the bad calls. Of course it's going to taint your perception.

I totally agree.

This statement covers my whole profession and is the reason some cops get so jaded.

People don't call us when they're having a great day...

It still doesn't change the fact that most of our bite calls involve a Pit, so I'm really not understanding your logic.

Edited by TN-popo

My dogs have only been attacked once, while in their own fenced yard.  It was a PB.  It's now a dead PB.

In my experience, fewer people would get bitten if they'd obey a few simple rules: 

1) Don't approach a strange dog until it's gotten used to you and accepts your presence.  Some dogs don't want you around - accept that.

2) NEVER surprise or scare a dog - even your own dog.

Just my humble opinion.

About 35 years ago, about the time I was researching Rottweilers, I was told a story by an associate. A fellow with a Dobie had been clamped down on in the buttcheek by his 7-8 yr old dog. This was a dog that was a constant companion and trusted completely in various situations.  They had to put the dog down and found in an autopsy that the dog had a large brain tumor. This is NOT an indictment of Dobies.

Rather a case for the fact that anything can happen when animals are involved.

I can see where LEO like TN-popo get their perception of the breed. As do others as well. Im willing to bet most of his calls were not to the most classy individual residents. The inbreeding, drugs, and abuse have taken a toll on the breed. When I see dogs like the victims I have to wonder about steroids and other drugs. They are quite rampant with the thug owners of this breed. An example my two Pit Rottweiler mixes are under 85lbs and don't have heads on them like a gorilla. My Staffordshire is only 40lbs also without a gorilla head. It's a shame what has been done to this breed in the last 75yrs.
  • Like 1

I can see where LEO like TN-popo get their perception of the breed. As do others as well. Im willing to bet most of his calls were not to the most classy individual residents. The inbreeding, drugs, and abuse have taken a toll on the breed. When I see dogs like the victims I have to wonder about steroids and other drugs. They are quite rampant with the thug owners of this breed. An example my two Pit Rottweiler mixes are under 85lbs and don't have heads on them like a gorilla. My Staffordshire is only 40lbs also without a gorilla head. It's a shame what has been done to this breed in the last 75yrs.

A good friend of mine in Huntsville has a group that are basically "save the breed" types and they try to take in dogs that are either not fit to be around people or the ones that have been jacked up for fighting etc...its sad to see some of the stuff he stumbles upon. He's also a professional trainer.

My dogs have only been attacked once, while in their own fenced yard.  It was a PB.  It's now a dead PB.

In my experience, fewer people would get bitten if they'd obey a few simple rules: 

1) Don't approach a strange dog until it's gotten used to you and accepts your presence.  Some dogs don't want you around - accept that.

2) NEVER surprise or scare a dog - even your own dog.

Just my humble opinion.

You're making it sound like it's the victims fault if they are bit. The majority of mauling incidents I've seen on the news happen when people are walking down the street minding their own business.

like this poor bastard,

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cane-corso-dogs-maul-death-mich-jogger-owner-face-charges-article-1.1880415

Edited by Erik88

You're making it sound like it's the victims fault if they are bit. The majority of mauling incidents I've seen on the news happen when people are walking down the street minding their own business.

like this poor bastard,

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cane-corso-dogs-maul-death-mich-jogger-owner-face-charges-article-1.1880415

Both times I was charged by pit bulls I was on my own property or a family members property and neither one of us owned the dogs that charged.

Sometimes a biting incident IS the victim's fault.  If you walk up behind a strange dog while it's eating and startle it, whose fault is it if you get bit?  Any dog will bite under the right circumstances.  All I'm saying is that if people used a little more caution around dogs, there would be fewer bitings.

I'm not saying that maulings are the victim's fault.

• Like 1

like this poor bastard,

Example of bad owners. Dogs should be controlled at all times. Ours are always fenced. There were multiple reports on these dogs before biting people.