Thoughts on buying a used truck

My son is looking for a reliable used truck. He'd like an extended cab and 4wd. As many as you see on the road, there sure isn't a big selection of them for sale.

He'd like to find one for less than 10k. All we've seen are either junk, or have new prices and high miles.

We keep an eye out on craigslit and golsn.

Do you have any other suggestions of places to look for one? This is starting to get frustrating.

This is the worst time of year to buy a truck. The potential for winter weather always drives up the price and people are hesitant to get rid of their old reliable truck this time of year. If you can wait till late spring or summer you would likely find a much better deal.

For a 10k budget, XCab + 4WD with reasonable miles / condition will be an exercise in patience.

Since cash for clunkers, a lot of those mid 90s through mid 2000 full size, low gas mileage trucks  / SUVs went to the crusher.

What about an older truck and spend what was saved for cool paint job, wheels/ tires, new interior, engine and tranny upgrade...

It really depends on if you are willing to possibly work on one maybe sooner than later. I actually purchased one today for under 10k.  When I was growing up my grandparents and parents wouldn't buy anything with over 30-40k miles on it and always preached that. I am to the point in my life now that I don't want to always have car payments. Not putting anyone down that can afford it at all but I don't let higher miles scare me.

I just bought a 2004 silverado in decent shape (few dings and scratches) that drives and runs great. It's a single cab long bed 4x4. It has 145k on it. I also recently purchased a Camry with 160k on it that runs like a top also for under 10k. The problem with that price range is that you generally don't get a good vehicle for under 5k so there are both junk and good trucks at that price range. Just go with your gut when you drive it and take your time looking it over. If you see or feel a problem take some time to research it online. With the internet and youtube more than likely someone has a fix for it that may be simple. You can use the small problems when bargaining and spend a few dollars and hours fixing the small problem while getting to know the ins and outs of the truck as well.

You will probably have to deal with the smaller lots to find these trucks as well.

I just bought a 02 GMC Sierra z71 4x4 ext can. Paid around 12k for it with 140k miles on it.

It's hard to find low mileage trucks period anymore, everyone drives the snot out of their vehicles, not to mention they don't care for them either. However, it seems the newer vehicles do last longer than they used to so higher miles isn't as bad as it used to be

When I say low mileage, 150k or 160k doesn't make me bat an eye, as long as the vehicle appears to have been well maintained.

He has a truck now, It uses a lot of oil, but is otherwise reliable, safe to drive, and runs like a top.

He doesn't have as much patience as I do, and I'm growing tired of him describing to me EVERY new truck posting on Craigslist in real time. :rofl:

I wouldn't mind finding another engine for his, but the heater blend door doesn't work either. I'd rather change engines than try to fix that.

Do you have any other suggestions of places to look for one? This is starting to get frustrating.

Could try eBay.  Might be a listing that's close by.

Do you know someone that's a car dealer? (Maybe someone on here?)  They could look for a good pickup at the next auction.

I was in a similar boat a few years ago, but my budget was $8,000 cash. 

I wanted a CLEAN full-size truck with a automatic V8, extended cab, power windows and locks, A/C, and less than 100K miles. The mileage was the biggest issue. People don't stay home anymore. You're lucky to find a 3-4 year old truck with less than 100K miles on it, and you'll still pay $30,000 for it.

After visiting several dealerships with $8,000 cash in hand, it didn't take me long to realize the saying "money talks" doesn't work that well when trying to buy a used truck. I figured I'd be able to walk into any dealership and buy a truck with a $9,000 - $10,000 sticker price for my $8,000 cash. Boy was I wrong. They weren't budging.

I spent 3 months searching Craigslist, Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, etc. I even went directly to several dealers. I finally found what I was looking for at Paul's Trading Station in Mt. Juliet, but they wanted $9200. I found it on Cars.com or Autotrader.com. I can't remember which one. The truck was an '02 F-150 with everything I wanted, and it only had 90,000 miles on it.

After running into so many dealers who weren't willing to negotiate quite as much as I had hoped, I didn't think the guys at Paul's Trading Station would be much different. I went ahead and sent them an email anyway. They responded to the email, letting me know that they couldn't accept $8,000 for the truck. I continued my search. 

Roughly 4 or 5 days later, the salesman from PTS called me on the phone and asked if I was still looking for a truck. after informing him that I was, he asked me to come look at the truck. Knowing he was just trying to get me on the lot so he could talk me into buying it for their asking price, I told him $8,000 was my limit, and I didn't feel like wasting my time or his. He finally talked me into checking it out. 

The truck was exactly what I was looking for, so the wheelin' and dealin' began. When it was all said and done, I got the truck for $8,200. I was extremely happy, and they still made $1000 on the deal. They showed me the paperwork from the auction where it was purchased, and the receipts for new tires and a battery. I've never felt better about a vehicle purchase. If they have what I'm looking for when it's time for me to buy another truck, they will be my first stop.

It doesn't seem like a lot of places will haggle anymore.  I went to Rick McGill's Toyota in Alcoa looking for a used Tacoma about a year ago, first and last trip in that place.  They offered me $500 for my '97 Avalon in trade.  Now my Avalon wasn't like new I'm not going to lie, but I sold it on Craigslist a few days later for $1300 in an hour.  Anyways, when the salesman offered me $500 for my car I didn't blink, I just asked him what he could do on the price of the Tacoma for me.  Without hesitation he said, and I quote "We don't negotiate the price on used Tacomas, we get asking price for them."  That was the point at which we were done talking.  I wound up buying a truck off of a small lot, if you can find a small lot with good people running it you will be in good shape. 

It doesn't seem like a lot of places will haggle anymore. I went to Rick McGill's Toyota in Alcoa looking for a used Tacoma about a year ago, first and last trip in that place. They offered me $500 for my '97 Avalon in trade. Now my Avalon wasn't like new I'm not going to lie, but I sold it on Craigslist a few days later for $1300 in an hour. Anyways, when the salesman offered me $500 for my car I didn't blink, I just asked him what he could do on the price of the Tacoma for me. Without hesitation he said, and I quote "We don't negotiate the price on used Tacomas, we get asking price for them." That was the point at which we were done talking. I wound up buying a truck off of a small lot, if you can find a small lot with good people running it you will be in good shape.

Rick McGills low balled me big time on a trade as well. The vehicle I wanted was at a fair price and they offered me $1500 for a $6000 car. All I said was "really?" and got up to walk out. He talked me back into his office and I told him all I wanted was a fair deal, his offer was insulting and it's gonna cost him $1000. I would have taken $5000 for that car but now it's $6000 and not a penny less. I got my $6000.

Last time I passed through Lafayette, there was a small lot across from Walmart with a red flatbed diesel Ford 4x4 regular cab, 92-97 body style. May still be there. 

Used prices have gotten crazy, so much so that I've seriously considered selling my 2001 F-350 Powerstroke and buying something newer. When 1/2 ton trucks are bringing almost what I paid for a 2 ton 4x4, it's hard not to ignore the prospect...

Could try eBay.  Might be a listing that's close by.

Do you know someone that's a car dealer? (Maybe someone on here?)  They could look for a good pickup at the next auction.

Check with magiccarpetrides. He's a member here. We haven't heard from him in a while, but I know when he was active he sold vehicles to several members and a couple of friendly non-members.

I know he's in the K'town area, and for some reason I want to say Loudon.

EDIT Well his profile page lists Knoxville, but that covers a lot of territory.

Send him a pm, can't hurt to ask. He's a nice guy.

Edited by hipower

I knew what I wanted and I searched http://autotrader.com/. 

It took me a while but I found a really good 4x4 Sport Trac.  It is a old 03, however it was taken care of.  Drives like a dream.  I have had it a year now and still very happy.  I got it for 8k.   Ones I found at 5k, were all junk.  Also I figured I paid about an extra 2000 just for 4 wheel drive as I found 2 wheel drives cheaper in pretty good shape.  The one I got was by fair the nicest I looked at, including the 2 wheel drive models.  The deals are out there, but you have to find them and don't be afraid to walk away if it isn't right.

My take, good quality used vehicles are hard to find.  People are just keeping them longer, because of better quality and replacements are just too high.  I read not too long ago, that car lots are in need of good used vehicles, and there is a national shortage.  I understand "used" cars is what makes the gravy, vs. "new" cars.  I think I recall "new" cars fetch about a ~4% margin, whereas used vehicles fetch on average ~20-30% margin.   If accurate, that is a bitter pill to swallow knowing someone is making $2-$3Grand on a $10K vehicle. 

As for me, if I were in the market for "used", I would certainly try to buy from an individual vs. a car lot. 

Edited by Runco

Rick McGills low balled me big time on a trade as well. The vehicle I wanted was at a fair price and they offered me $1500 for a $6000 car. All I said was "really?" and got up to walk out. He talked me back into his office and I told him all I wanted was a fair deal, his offer was insulting and it's gonna cost him $1000. I would have taken $5000 for that car but now it's $6000 and not a penny less. I got my $6000

Keep this in mind and do your research...  If I'm not mistaken...  When they take in junker trades like I had they donate them to a charity and get a $2000 tax write off.  If you call them out on this it can work to your benefit.  I had a friend use this trick with what really was a car worth maybe $500 on a good day, at Rick McGill's, trading for a new Tacoma of all things.

I'll have a 4wd extended cab gmc canyon for sale in the spring :). Not getting it until then though

We could probably wait you out. :cool:

I know a man who's offered my son first dibs on his very nice Toyota Tacoma at a fair price. Problem is, that was about 6 months ago, and he'll not give a clue as to when he'll be ready to sell it.

We could probably wait you out. :cool:

I know a man who's offered my son first dibs on his very nice Toyota Tacoma at a fair price. Problem is, that was about 6 months ago, and he'll not give a clue as to when he'll be ready to sell it.

It's a great truck, I'm thinking that we may just get a 2wd truck to replace it and trade our benz in for a 4wd car cause we never drive off-road, the 4wd is really just in case of snow.

It's a great truck, I'm thinking that we may just get a 2wd truck to replace it and trade our benz in for a 4wd car cause we never drive off-road, the 4wd is really just in case of snow.

No need to wait for spring to do that, :cool: