How important to you is an accessory rail on a handgun?

TGO David

Importance of Accessory Rails  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How important to you is an accessory rail on a handgun?

• Administrator

As the title asks, how important to you is an accessory rail on a handgun?  Vote in the attached poll.

Lately I've looked at a lot of 1911's in gun shops and am frankly amazed at how many stores simply don't have railed 1911's in stock.  It seems like the typical exception to this is for them to have a GSR (Granite) series railed SIG 1911 in the cabinet, but the GSR slide profile is such that the firearm is incompatible with any holster not specifically designed for it.

Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, Heckler & Kock (USP and newer) and most every other striker fired or modern hammer fired handguns all have rails.  I think the fact that so many 1911s are made without them is because some of the 1911 owner demographic are still just purists and see no need for them, and because so many holsters made for 1911's were made before the rail became common.

Anyway... vote.  :)

Like it for a home gun for a light , but I carry most home pistols. They may big .45's but if I carry them I also don't mind grabbing them in the middle of the night because I handle them all day. I would never holster a light or other railed accessory. Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1

I think you need a 4th option- neither like nor dislike.  Rails, or lack thereof, on a pistol won't factor into the decision if I buy a pistol or not.

I do concur with your thinking the lack of them on most 1911's are for the purist crowd.

• Like 6

I think you need a 4th option- neither like nor dislike.  Rails, or lack thereof, on a pistol won't factor into the decision if I buy a pistol or not.

I do concur with your thinking the lack of them on most 1911's are for the purist crowd.

This. I don't care if it's there or not. I don't use it, but I won't skip a gun just because it has one.

• Admin Team
If I'm carrying on my side, it's riding with a light. Period. Full stop.

The Raven Phantom LC series carries it tight enough that it's not adding extra bulk. The added weight out front seems to help a bit with muzzle flip, but I don't put too much emphasis on that because so does a good grip. But, if you need the light, it's going to be a deal breaker without it.

Come by and grab the G19 or the old Warrior. Spend some time with them at the range and you won't go back.

Pocket pistols are great, but if I'm going full size, I'm going with an X300.
  • Like 2

I've been pondering modifying one of my sigs to remove the rails, b/c I already have several similar railed frames of the same model gun and I think it would make it easier to re-holster in some of my holsters for carry. That said i have neither bought nor refused to buy due to a rail on a pistol, but I occasionally wish I could find the guns sans rail that didn't cost more.

Yep, I would vote for "just don't care". If it's there, fine. If it isn't, fine. I don't intend to mount anything on it regardless, so I don't see it as nice to have. I really, 100% couldn't care less if it's there or not. 

I only have one handgun with a rail, and it lives in the safe. Not because of the rail, but because I choose to carry a different style. Wouldn't make a dime's worth of difference to me if the rail was there or not. 

Edited by 56FordGuy

well....never really thought about it, but I guess if I'm purchasing a handgun, it's because I want that particular handgun for some reason/purpose.  Whether or not it has a rail either will or won't be important depending on the reason/purpose.   If I wanted a particular 1911, I wouldn't pass on a it because it didn't have rails.  If I want an HD handgun with a light, it probably won't be a 1911. 

In a perfect world, i guess the option would be there.  ??

I don't care would seem to equate to nice to have.

Admittedly, I don't have, nor want any light/laser on my pistols, so for me it's just not important, and I wouldn't even call it nice to have.  I really don't care either way, but as you pointed out, a lot of pistols are made with them, so they're just there.  It wasn't even much of a thought before this thread.

Two of mine have rails, one was put on there by glock after a recall.  Don't have any practical purpose for me, I have lasers on a couple of my guns but have tritium sites on all my carry guns which I practice with almost exclusively. I kind of like the look of a gun with a light but I won't buy one, I think the dark works in my favor.

Another "don't care" here. At this point I have enough pistols with and without to cover any perceived needs. I don't think the presence or absence of a rail has ever been a part of my decision to purchase a gun. I think I have three semis without a rail, and the rest of them have it.

This year I plan to add a 1911 to the family, and the models I have narrowed it down to do not have rails. I don't view my purchase of a 1911 to be a fighting gun, but a range toy and just another piece to add to the collection. Every should have at least one or ten, right?
  • Like 1

!st thing I ever learned during our Academy shooting classes was a light is something to aim and shoot at. 

We were also taught when going around a corder you stick your arm out straight holding the light and glance

around the corner without showing your silhouette or body. 

The last thing I want to put on my gun is a target.

Edited by Lowpower
I voted nice to have only because it's what fit best.

For me it depends on the gun. If it's a pocket gun or something I'm going to carry IWB, I don't want a rail, it's just in the way and I'll never use it. Or if I'm buying that gun based on its looks or in its original form it didn't have a rail, such as some 1911s.

But, if it's going to be carried OWB or have a potential "tactical"use, it needs a rail.

Some guns look better without a rail and some look better with one, like I said, it all depends on that specific gun and it's intended purpose.
I don't think having a rail with light is bad, but for me I don't want one. I'm kind of in the 1911 purist crowd too. Mainly because it's just what I'm used to using and training with. I also carry a Glock without one too. As for home defense I feel the dark is to my advantage. I don't have any friends or family that might be wondering in during the night. Also the dog hoard will give ample warning time.

Doesn't a light also conflict with "don't point your gun at something you don't want to destroy"? If you need your light to identify, you don't know what it is. You basically have to assume that whatever that noise was, it's fair game. Which may be valid 98% of the time...

Voted "nice to have" as options are generally good.

But so far, only have one thang on any of my handguns, and that's a Crimson Trace light on the XD that generally lives neath the mattress, and that doesn't use the rail.

- OS

I'm with the "take or leave it" group. Its not something I specificly want, but I won't turn down a nice gun because of it. 

As for 1911s with rails, I generally prefer them without the rail.  I have a number of 1911s and only two have rails. One is a limited edition that only came that way and the other was bought for the specific purpose of being a house gun. That one does have a light on it. 

Some years back I took a Low Light shooting class. The instructor kept emphasizing two points over and over.

1. White light attracts incoming fire.

2. Incoming fire has the right of way. 

Edited by Grayfox54

I don't like them.  I am a Sig connoisseur, but I will go out of my way to avoid the rail, though I have one in my collection with a rail.  I do not have any use for the rail, and I think they are ugly, and could snag on my holster.