Need some advice

Our house has a large area under the front porch. All walls are poured block, the floor is concrete and the ceiling is concrete over metal form steel. I had hoped to use it for long term storage and a storm shelter. The problem is that when the weather is cold moisture condenses on the ceiling and it rains inside. I thought about having it spray foamed, but they want $1,000 minimum to do the job. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the rain?
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

seal it outside and in and then dry it out?

Jonnin gave ya the answer... If the floor is concrete, the back and sidewalls are block, and the ceiling is concrete over steel decking; i would look at enclosing the open side with a tarp or a wall of some sort; and then get some electricity to it so it can be heated a bit... That little bit of heat will stop the condensation... All ya need to do is keep the temperature inside above the dew point of the air outside; and a bit of heat will do that very well...

leroy Edited by leroy
The area is 8' x 40' x 10' high. The floor is concrete with a vapor barrier, the walls are about 80% below grade and are waterproofed the same as the rest of the basement walls. The ceiling is 4-5" of concrete over corrugated steel (core form I think it's called) and is under the roof of the house. There is no opening to the outside,only a doorway to a unfinished part of the basement. I'm pretty sure the water is not leaking in from outside but is condensing when the ceiling is cold. When it's above about 40 degrees outside, no problem. I tried running a small heater, but it didn't help or made it worse.
All that moisture is getting in there somehow, figuring out how is the hard part. If there's enough moisture for it to condensate, there's too much for it to be a viable long term storage area. Id guess the moisture is coming from the unfinished part of the basement. Any way to seal that off?

I will try a dehumidifier. I will have to get a door on that area first. When I said unfinished basement, it just doesn't have sheet rock but is actually part of the house. No dirt floor or openings to outside.

I will try a dehumidifier. I will have to get a door on that area first. When I said unfinished basement, it just doesn't have sheet rock but is actually part of the house. No dirt floor or openings to outside.

In that case, hmmmm....

Are there any other wet/damp areas in the basement? Damp walls, puddles in the corners, water stains anywhere?

Edit... Water is condensing on that ceiling area because it's the coldest surface. What's between the ceiling and the porch above? Is it open or could it be sealed off somehow to keep the cold outside air away from it? Edited by peejman

Water is in the air, cant "fix" that, the roof is a tea glass in the summer, it is gona sweat.

You are gona have to get some kind of insulation on it or it will sweat.

Keeping the cold up (in this case) is your only option, well heat the whole basement is another.

Well there is another way, but costly, remove the concert above the steel, lay a 1 inch insulation board, re-pour the concert.

Edited by RED333
The ceiling is the porch. It's really the only concrete that is exposed on the outside and the inside. No wet areas anywhere else. I talked to our contractor today. He thinks just putting a good tight door on the room will keep the warm air from the house out and let the area under the porch get cool enough that I won't get condensation. I still think some kind of insulation is needed.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.