Single-shot Stevens project: Feasible, worthwhile?

ckirk8

I haven't been able to make it to the range, and I've filled that void by finding purchases I "need" to make and thinking over other firearms-related projects. I'd like to have some feedback on my latest stroke of genius.

I have three Stevens 94 12-gauge shotguns that I inherited from my uncle and grandfather. At least one has a 32" barrel, and the other two are at least 30" — probably 32" too. I believe they are fixed full choke barrels.

I have no idea what sort of firing condition these are in (my grandfather busted a trigger guard on one), but if they're safe, I was thinking I could use two for parts (if needed) and maybe cut one of the barrels down to 20" to 22" and have it cut for choke tubes to make it more versatile to use turkey hunting or whatever. I'm just looking for a way to change three wall hangers into a handy little shotgun. Maybe cut another down to minimum legal length for ultimate maneuverability.

Is there any merit to my ramblings? Is it even possible for these old barrels to be cut down and choke tubes added? Any idea on what it might cost? I don't want to put a lot of money into these or ruin them, and I thought this might be a way to get some utility out of the shotguns that belonged to my relatives. Also, is checking whether these are safe to fire a gunsmith-only task, or can anyone with shotgunning experience tell me whether they'll blow up in my face?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Are they 2-3/4 or 3" chambers? I have two 94s and have thought about doing pretty much the same thing to one of them. It looks like most all of the specialty turkey loads are 3 or 3-1/2" now and both of mine are 2-3/4. The outside diameter of the barrel needs to be .850 to be threaded for screw-in chokes. Both of mine pattern good at 30-40 yards so I decided for this season at least to keep them like they are and see how they do if ol' Tom sticks his head out. The one local gunsmith that I know of that threads them charges more for that than I paid for the gun. Sumtoy customs down in GA has the best prices on threading barrels.

Are they 2-3/4 or 3" chambers? I have two 94s and have thought about doing pretty much the same thing to one of them. It looks like most all of the specialty turkey loads are 3 or 3-1/2" now and both of mine are 2-3/4. The outside diameter of the barrel needs to be .850 to be threaded for screw-in chokes. Both of mine pattern good at 30-40 yards so I decided for this season at least to keep them like they are and see how they do if ol' Tom sticks his head out. The one local gunsmith that I know of that threads them charges more for that than I paid for the gun. Sumtoy customs down in GA has the best prices on threading barrels.

You're right that they're 2-3/4" chambers. I'd realized that about a week after I posted. As much as I'd like to "repurpose" the heirlooms, it's probably more practical to buy a shorter barrel for my Wingmaster.