So, we've gone UT around here.

• Administrator

Unbeknownst to many in Tennessee, the color orange is in fact not a property of the University of Tennessee Volunteers and frequently enjoys use as a color for items to which attention is desired to be drawn.

Also, I'm not a Vols fan.  :)

• Like 7

I never gave the Vol Mania much thought. I guess I rooted for them as a Tennessee team mostly.

Then I got another job in 1978. All went well until just before fall and early practice began. That was the beginning of my torture.

I found my self working between my plant supervisor and my general manager offices.

Come into the plant door and next office was my supervisor,then my walk-thru cubby/closet to the office manager and on to the general manager.

See. I'm caught between them. 5 days a week. All day long. I can't get away form them. I'm truly stuck between a rock and a hard place.

You see, I found out that I was in a nest of Tennessee Vol fanatics. It was HELL.

All I heard, day in and out; was armchair quarterbacking at it's worst!

This coach needs to go! That play was great/stupid/not done right. On and on. The whole litany of the usual comments.

But I survived. 10 years of it. 10 long, long years.

I almost began to hate them...maybe I'm over it now.

You obviously haven't ran into a large lot of fans of ANY type. There are rude fans of every team in the nation, means nothing for the rest of us.

I find Vandy fans to be a fairly congenial lot. :D

(We're good losers. Plenty of practice. :shake: )

• Like 3

You just described any home team on any given Saturday.

I'm not a vols fan btw...but i've had nothing but good experiences in Knoxville. Now Tuscaloosa on the other hand...whoa...

Correction...You have just described any team fans on any Saturday.

I was a band geek for a few years.  I've had drinks, ice, cups, and various other trash thrown at me (or in my general direction anyway).  I've heard language that would make Gunnery Sergeant Hartman proud.  There's always more than a few complete and total assholes in every stadium.  They know they'll get in trouble if they do that to the players, but the band?  No one cares about the band.

I do not understand our fascination with sports. Most Americans couldn't tell you who our current Speaker of the House is but by God they can name every Football team.

It's called entertainment. People will always be drawn more to entertainment than politics. ESPN or CSPAN? No brainier.

It's more than that though. It's really become an obsession for many.  

I wont disagree with that...I can give two really prime examples that happened just last week.

1.) After Alabama lost to Ohio State fans went to twitter with death threats and said that the QB for Alabama should commit suicide.
2.) After FSU lost in the Rose Bowl to Oregon the fans in Tallahassee keyed and slashed the tires of players cars while they were on a plane back to FSU.

Craziness...