Our fur friends.

Here is a friend I had to have put down in 2010 after he suffered several heart attacks and suffered from an enlarged heart 3 times normal size. His name was Buttons and was actually my wife's dog till she passed away in 1997. I took care of him after she passed. He tolerated Kasey but Kasey also knew he was the boss and never pushed that issue. He had a real bluff in on her since he only had 4 teeth and when he would growl at her she would hunker down and slowly move away from him. Because of his red eyes many of my friends called him a Devil Dog.......lol . He was 15 when he died.

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Douglas%20Lake%20Trip/Buttons_zps5whka5iy.jpg.html]Buttons_zps5whka5iy.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Douglas%20Lake%20Trip/Butons3_zpsth3b7flf.jpg.html]Butons3_zpsth3b7flf.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Douglas%20Lake%20Trip/buttons2_zpsvsuudz8s.jpg.html]buttons2_zpsvsuudz8s.jpg[/URL]

• Like 2
8091ddeba26a69a4a03e4c3e7af3a7de.jpg

This lazy bum is Tobie. Adopted him from a feller here in Clarksville because his other Huskies did not particularly like him. He is a sweetheart, loves people and attached to me like a Glock.

He just had the tendency of crapping in the bed of my truck [emoji107] but is the friendliest dog I ever had.

I got him because the Husky puppy I got for my wife (fiance at the time) died within two weeks of getting him. He died the day after Christmas, two days before our wedding.
c6987e50291670f4bead21b9c5268393.jpg

However Tobie is all we have hoped for. He takes care of the wife. Likes beer. Fetches dropped brass. Has two different eye colors and he may or may not have jumped with me into the Back 40 of Ft Campbell to occupy a Retrans site....
80ae248e1129f3b76afd0e2d1e5af43a.jpg

Behind The Scenes at "Fire Base F--K It"
991e16700ac18d58c442b398434220a2.jpg

This thread deserves a pin!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk Edited by CommsNBombs
  • Like 2

We raised APBTs for a while. Won't find a better dog providing it is properly socialized. A APBT locked away without outside contact is an accident waiting to happen. Socialize, socialize and more socialization will prevent any issues especially fear biters. And if you do get a APBT realize they are not the 80+ pound monstrosities you are seeing. A good confirmation APBT will be hard to tell from the average hunting dog if the ears are not clipped. BTW, I prefer my dogs to be as they were born so no docked tails or ears. When we raised them we stayed with old school blood lines where a male would weight a max of 60 pounds and a female weighs 50. I had a dog that was 100% APBT with old school blood lines that weighed 30 pounds. And the best part is because it doesn't look like the bigger dogs you can pass the smaller ones off as not APBTs in case you live in an area with a breed specific ban.

American Bulldogs are great dogs. Even more loving and loyal than most APBTs but less intense. They are great dogs and not as active as a typical APBT. There are two separate breads within the ABs as well. One is a Scott type which looks like a giant APBT. The other is a Johnson type and it looks like a giant English bulldog. Both have the same basic body but one has the bulldog looking face and the other has less of a pushed in face. You can expect the average Scott type to weigh 90-110 pounds and the Johnson type to be up to about 120 pounds. The Johnson type is just a little bulkier than the Scott.

As far as Gus goes. We were looking for an Alapaha and had spoke to several breeders. One became available from someone else and my wife bought Gus. Knowing then what we know now we should have went with a different breeder. She is a backyard breeder in the best sense of the title. She breeds dogs based solely on looks and has several monstrosities that she claims are Alapahas but they do not look like any Alapaha I have ever seen. She was nothing more than a "bully" breeder. But with that being said Gus is a good dog but definitely has some genetic issues. She wanted to retain breeding rights but after seeing some of the issues with Gus we refused to allow him to be bred and had him fixed. He has a crank tail, a genetic problem that disqualifies him as an Alapaha, he is allergic to chicken, which is common on bully breeds, and some other minor genetic abnormalities but nothing serious. He does not meet confirmation but we do not care because he is Gus and only Gus can be Gus. Gus is what the call a brown merle.

Here is a video of a gray merle Alapaha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v12KPiPtuMI

If anyone wants an Alapaha I can put you in touch with reputable breeders. Also be aware there are breeders out there that have started registering ANYTHING as ANYTHING so long as you pay the fees. We joke that they will register your trailer if you pay for it.

There also seems to be a BIG disparity between breed standards depending on whose standard you are reading.

And here are some more "furry friends" of ours. Both are Dumbo rats because of the ears on the sides of their heads. Never thought of rats as pets but they are actually really smart, fun to watch and grow so fast.

I present Willard:
12074767_10205988176558348_2722146466243

And Teddy:
12185054_10206111758047808_4620452924902

• Like 1

I raised a baby Ferret back years ago and they are incredible creatures to watch. I kept him until he was about 3 years old and it was funny when I would turn him out in the house and everyone would pick their bare feet up in the air to prevent a toe getting bit. After Grand babies began showing up I had to move him on to some friends of mine and they kept him till he died of old age at about age 10.............. :up:

• Like 2

Nope, just trying to a way to forget about life for a while.

While I think I understand your thinking...my wife came in and saw the pictures of your pets. She was not as impressed with your choice. lol

Nothing negative meant by it. She just shuddered and made a comment about how I was spending my evening time looking at rats.

The lady has put up with me for almost 40 years...so I have to cut her some slack on comments about my friends and their hobbies. lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I just had to put the 3rd, and last one, down last week.  They all went within about 8 months of each other.

It's part of pet ownership and they had great lives...but it still sucks.   :(

Damn.  We're going through this right now too, Todd.  After the Dobie had to be put down a month ago due to kidney disease, our last Boston (and the best dog of the whole bunch - hands down) is literally dying of what we figure is a broken heart.  She has all but stopped eating and refuses to, barfs up anything she does eat, and is slowly getting to the point where she won't drink.  The vet said that they couldn't find anything wrong with her, but she's wasting away.

We've been trying to get the local GSD rescue to return emails as we're highly interested in adopting one of their dogs, but these people just have gone completely radio-silent on us.  It's really aggravating.

Regardless, we may have to make the hard decision this weekend to go ahead and put the Boston down.  She's hardly got any strength left at this point.

• Like 1

Damn. We're going through this right now too, Todd. After the Dobie had to be put down a month ago due to kidney disease, our last Boston (and the best dog of the whole bunch - hands down) is literally dying of what we figure is a broken heart. She has all but stopped eating and refuses to, barfs up anything she does eat, and is slowly getting to the point where she won't drink. The vet said that they couldn't find anything wrong with her, but she's wasting away.

We've been trying to get the local GSD rescue to return emails as we're highly interested in adopting one of their dogs, but these people just have gone completely radio-silent on us. It's really aggravating.

Regardless, we may have to make the hard decision this weekend to go ahead and put the Boston down. She's hardly got any strength left at this point.

David, have you ever considered a Dutch Shepard? I know some people who might be able to help you. I'm going to visit them tomorrow. She's repairing a broken chicken leg. She is huge in GSD, DS, BM. She might be able to help you. Just let me know and I'll do my damnedest to help.
  • Administrator

David, have you ever considered a Dutch Shepard? I know some people who might be able to help you. I'm going to visit them tomorrow. She's repairing a broken chicken leg. She is huge in GSD, DS, BM. She might be able to help you. Just let me know and I'll do my damnedest to help.

First I have heard of that breed but I'd definitely be open to it!

Let me talk to her tomorrow and then I will PM you if she can help. Also look up Anatolian Shepards. More of a livestock guard dog, but if you have property, they make excellent guard dogs. I know of 4 pups available for adoption too. They have a 5 month old girl who's as sweet as can be.

Dutchies are intelligent, high energy and loyal dogs. More active (generally) than GSDs but not as nuts as Mals.

Of course, I'm a fan of rescues over buying from dog breeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Dutchies are intelligent, high energy and loyal dogs. More active (generally) than GSDs but not as nuts as Mals.

Of course, I'm a fan of rescues over buying from dog breeders.

The woman I am talking about does nothing but rescue. She's a former vet tech too. However she does breed and train as well for LE.

The woman I am talking about does nothing but rescue. She's a former vet tech too. However she does breed and train as well for LE.

That's good to hear. Are the rescues retired/untrainable working dogs?

That's good to hear. Are the rescues retired/untrainable working dogs?

Some, and then some are just from people who don't do their research on a breed before buying it. You know, the "SMRT" people. She does training, doggy daycare and all sorts of stuff. She has 2 EB's there for training right now that I have to resist the urge to "borrow". LOL