Tonneau covers? your thoughts?

Wyldk2

Since my last reply on this thread we have updated our truck. I did like the hard undercover one that was on the Dodge, but it had its limitations. As other have said if you load, haul or move tall stuff its a not one for you. While removing and reinstalling isn't too painful, it wasn't the easiest to do alone. We have since gotten a 2016 Chevy 2500 and installed a 5th wheel hitch. As such the one piece hard cover wouldnt cut it. We went with the fold up cover from Truck Gear by Linex. I am overall happy with it as it locks (as long as your tailgate locks) and is easy to fold and secure. With that said there are limitations with it also. The Undercover tonneau had something like a 500 lbs weight limit placed on top, which meant I could stand on it and walk. The fold up one we have now would not hold up to even my 10 year old son walking on. LOL 

Edited by buck1032
On 1/6/2015 at 9:03 PM, Wyldk2 said:

I'm basically wanting a tonneau cover for reducing the drag coefficient. And I don't mind it at all folding up so i can't see out of the back of the bed. My Can-am obstructs my view anyways, the only time the Tonneau cover will be folded so i cant see is when i'm hauling the ATV.

A hard shell, ( while nice) is not feasable for my utility. I don't plan o keeping anything real valuable back there unless I'm on trips( but then I've installed a heavy duty cable lock and my tailgate locks).

I'm still keeping an eye out. Looked on craigslist for a deal but i see only either stuff that is broken or won't fit my ford. So I'm still looking.

Going to be hard to go look as i was told today to look forward to 6-7 days a week working 11 hours a day. So maybe I won't have to wait until tax time to get the tonneau cover i need. Lol

Thanks for thehelp guys, keep it coming.  And i don'tmind the hijacking of the thread as long as we keep it to truck bed accessories. Thanks,

I have a ARE on a  F-250 diesel and I never seen one iota of increase in fuel mileage, Cover on or cover off.  Even on long distance-1000 plus. A full grown truck has little aerodynamics  ARE is a great cover as long as you have few plans to carry much more than a big yeti chest full of beer.  Yes it takes two to remove.  Even with a 30 foot goose neck flat bed trailer or a 29 foot 5th wheel travel trailer I like the ability to fully secure.  Sure it can be broken into but so can the cab.  I always suggest peeps buy what fits there lifestyle not what fit someone else's.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 10:23 AM, wileecoyote said:

I have a Tundra with 6.5' bed. I did literally hundreds of hours of research on covers and inspected nearly every type and brand out there. I eventually settled on the BAKFLIP and it was by far the best decision I ever made. I have since installed the same cover on 3 different trucks, all work excellent. My favorite features include:

Easily installs in about 60 minutes without drilling or permanently modifying your truck.

Hard cover locks closed for security, and you can sit on the folded portion or set gear on top of it.

Watertight, has built in concealed drain rails to catch any leaks and keep the water out of your bed.

Can flip open 1, 2, 3, or 4 sections at a time and ride at highway speed in any of these conditions.

Can be removed and replaced by a single person in less than 5 minutes without tools.

Holds up well over time, and still looks like new after 7 years in the hot southern summer sun, ice cold northern winter snow, and many tornado rain storms.

When folded all the way open (4 sections) it will block part of your rear window view, but you can still see out of your rear view mirror along the top edge, and this doesn't matter to me because if I ever have it all the way open I'm usually hauling large freight that would block my rear window view anyway. If I ever needed it to be completely open without partially blocking the rear window view, I would just remove it which is easily done by hand and no tools in 2 minutes, but in all my years of hauling and driving over 200,000 miles I've never needed to do this.

I was going to share my experiences but wileecoyote has already summed up the Bakflip covers perfectly.  Very satisfied with mine too.

• 1 year later...

I just got the Extang Encore that folds open from the tailgate or from the cab where you unlock it with your truck key to open. After folding back to the cab, it can easily come off by unhooking on each side and then lift up. Got it at Hunter's Custom Automotive in East Nashville on Trinity Lane close to Ellington Pkw. Free installation.

I'd strongly recommend one that rolls up, slides, or whatever, as opposed to the one piece fiberglass covers that raise up like a trunk lid. These are waterproof. They are also dustproof; as far as letting any get OUT of the bed. Also, whatever you want out of the bed ain't hard to find....it's in the middle, right up against the cab.

I like a deep tool box. If I needed any more cover than that, I'd probably get an SUV.

Edited by gregintenn