New pistol dilemma. Could use some help.

Guest themanpcl

Guest themanpcl

My dilemma is that I have a Glock 21 (purchased new in 2000) that I cannot have fun with at the range. Aside from the ammo expense vs my S&W 910, the Smith is just more fun to shoot. I have trouble with the grip on the 21 because I do not have gorilla hands and so my accuracy suffers. I think I want to sell the Glock 21 and get a 9mm that fits my hand better and I would enjoy shooting more. I am not sure what the Glock would bring and need to shoot a few different models to determine what I want to buy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Some that are completely different are the CZ as mentioned and 1911 type pistols. The 1911 types have a completely different trigger system and thinner grip.

I have a Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 FS Tactical that is a pleasure to shoot with a nice trigger for around $450.

• Like 2
I've had the same grip problem on my G21. I am still debating on selling or trading it, I think the am I price for the firepower is fine. I won't talk different caliber unless you would consider a G23, absolutely fantastic pistol, it kicks more than the 21 (I think) but 40 ammo is cheaper.
So I recommend the 23.
If you like Glock a 34 or 17 gen 4's would be a good choice. Both have different back strap's that you can put on them or just shoot without them. If you don't like glocks and want a range gun in general the sky is the limit. I would recommend you go to a range that has rentals and try different guns until you find something you like. Your gun may be worth IMO somewhere around $400.00 to $450.00 on a sale depending on condition and around $300.00 on a trade at a LGS if it is in excellent condition.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Like 1
If it's an angle thing, the M&P and XD's have more of a vertical grip(1911-ish) and a smaller grip circumference. I gave up on my g17 as it never fit my hand, I can shoot the XDm well but nothing like a 1911. Seems like a trip to the LGS for some hands on is in your future. Edited by Jct1911

Once you go CZ you'll never go back.

This.  For a general off the shelf gun, CZ's feel the best for me.   I have a pretty expensive race gun and 1911 and the CZ still wins in pure grip comfort. 

Edited by Hozzie

I just bought a G 41 that are only available in Gen 4 and it does feel better in the hand ( without any of the added back straps ) than the Gen 3 model 21 I have but it is still big. The 21 you have should have good value if you sell it to an individual . I would go to a gun shop that has a large selection and hold as many as possible before buying one.  I do not have a Gen 4 in the full size Glock

9 mm /40 /357 size guns to compare to the 21 but they are quite a bit smaller in feel and I believe the Gen 4 is even a little bit smaller ( again , without the added back strap ) than the Gen 3 in the grip area .  

Guest DrNick1986

If you are wanting to move away from the Glock family I would recommend testing out some Springfield XD series guns. I love the way XD's feel and fire. 

However, ultimately I think the best thing to do is to go to your local gun store (or local range if that is an option) and hold (and if at the range, shoot) several different guns. You will eventually find something that feels made for you and that's the gun you will want! 

Best of luck, let us know what you end up with! 

What is your intended purpose for the gun? If you just want something fun on the range and don't intend to carry it then I would go with something like the CZ75. I like my Glocks but I don't get a hard on every time I go to the range.

What is your intended purpose for the gun? If you just want something fun on the range and don't intend to carry it then I would go with something like the CZ75. I like my Glocks but I don't get a hard on every time I go to the range.

You just caused me a choking fit with that line!  And I'm really not sure how to respond.ol

Got thing it would be difficult to lock clear and make safe the firing line

Glad I could entertain fells. :)

I'm serious though. I trust my life to my Glocks but for purely range fun they are pretty boring. I'd much rather have a 1911 or something else.

Can't really totally agree with you on that. But close. My G24 and G34 are fun for me. But for all out range fun...I got to have a nice revolver.

38/357/44. It doesn't matter. I just like shooting the wheelies.

Oh, yeah I will consider a 1911 at times as well. lol

My dilemma is that I have a Glock 21 (purchased new in 2000) that I cannot have fun with at the range. Aside from the ammo expense vs my S&W 910, the Smith is just more fun to shoot. I have trouble with the grip on the 21 because I do not have gorilla hands and so my accuracy suffers. I think I want to sell the Glock 21 and get a 9mm that fits my hand better and I would enjoy shooting more. I am not sure what the Glock would bring and need to shoot a few different models to determine what I want to buy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Just one - see if you can find a used Gen3 G17, serial numbers in the H-M range, get a decent set of sights and a few extra mags for it, and enjoy.

Guest mechanically

A sample set of one here.

But, I've seen more Glocks malfunction at my IDPA matches than I've ever had happen with my CZ's. Yes, my CZs have had some trigger work done by myself in most cases, but I've never worked on magazines, feed ramps, rails, etc. So, I wouldn't say I've given them a "reliability" tune, just tinkering with the bits my fingers interact with.

And, I'm sure there have been Glocks at those same matches that ran 100%. I've merely seen enough Glock malfunctions to feel that they aren't magical.

I find my CZs to not only be 100% reliable, but also extremely well-suited to being shot accurately. (And, I don't shoot SA; all mine are decockers, and I shot first round DA.)

Thus, CZs aren't only a range toy for me.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Edited by mechanically