2015 NRA show

Ray Z

I haven't seen anybody start a new thread about this so I will. We're looking at what to do and where to stay in Nashville. So, here goes

• Where to stay that won't cost an arm and a leg. Downtown is $200-$300 a night. Bonnie has checked as far out as 17 miles from downtown and to get a room for under 100 a night means that we would have to share the room with 6 and 8 legged creatures, according to the reviews.
• What to do when we're not at the NRA show. It took us a day and a half to go through the show when we went to Houston. We want to go somewhere nice for a late dinner and maybe to a show. The NRA show rates right up there with filling out income tax with her, so I've got to come up with some stuff for us to do too.

Come on guys, there is a bunch of you that live at or near Nashville. Give it up.

1. Have you checked out VRBO? There are some neat places that can be fairly inexpensive. You're far enough out in booking dates that even with a convention - there are places available.

(NOTE ON VRBO: Check the area, look for info that it's a safe neighborhood, read reviews on the spot/owners. I've never had an issue, but be shrewd) Also, don't overlook some of the places that are a short drive from Nashville. You can get some nice, secluded spots where it feels like a getaway-great resting place after you're done with downtown's madness.

2. Have you been to the Opry? Do it. It'll be at the Opry house, so there's that. For dinners - there's lots of great options downtown, get done conventioning, then have a nice dinner and head back to your getaway. There's some neat history downtown, if you're into that. You can take one of your half-days and walk/drive to some awesome places downtown. For dining, please to be checking out this thread

1. Peg Leg Porkers for bbq
2. The Pharmacy for burgers
3. Kien Giang for Vietnamese food
4. Thai Phooket - never had a bad meal, never been great
5. Loveless Cafe and Monell's for southern food

Walk around second and Broadway, many beautiful sights.

<$100/night in Nashville will mean moving a good ways out, or having a lower standard of rooms.

Just to get some perspective, would you consider a standard Hampton Inn/Fairfield Inn to be a nice place, about what you're looking for, or a dive where you'd only stay if you had no other choice?

I dont know you, but that is literally my exact list of some of my favorite places in town...it's scary how accurate it is haha

Just be aware that The Pharmacy and Loveless prohibit carry. I don't know about the others.

Peg Leg Porker is not posted and it's delicious.

M.L Rose is comparable in the burger department to The Pharmacy and I'm pretty sure it's not posted. A Nashville institution for burgers is Gabby's which is not posted. Good thing too because it's in a lousy part of town.

• Like 1

When I was working in Brentwood during the week, I was staying at the Embassy Suites (Cool Springs) there.  Since I was there so much it was $99 a night but if you call ahead you can usually get a room for $129-139.  Considering you get free breakfast and a free drinks and snacks in the evening, it isn't bad.  Also as someone mentioned, Hampton Inn in the same area was $89-109  a night.

Depending on which direction you are coming from Mt. Juliet or Lebanon has good prices if you get a room early. 

If you are coming from the north side North Nashville hotels are not bad. They get bad reviews because of the location but anyone that is armed should not worry about that. 

I think you mean Hattie B's.

I wouldn't stay on North Nashville for anything. Up around Goodletsville there may be something, but nothing in the Trinity Lane/Metro Center areas are anywhere close to being on my places to stay. Maxwell House is an OK property, but for the rates I'd rather go to the airport or Opryland areas and have a few more dining choices and a lower risk of being a statistic.

Personally, I don't see the point in staying in Murfreesboro. It's a lousy commute up on Friday morning if you come in on Thursday. Even without traffic it's 30 minutes. The airport or Brentwood hotels put you 10 minutes from downtown. Opryland is just 15. I don't generally recommend the Opryland area. there's not that much to do out there, but it fits the bill if you're just looking for a place to stay that's significantly cheaper than downtown.

I rank the areas as follows in order of preference for visiting Nashville:

Downtown

West End/Vanderbilt

The Gulch

Brentwood

Airport

Opryland

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
Brentwood has 8-10 hotels at the Old Hickory Blvd exit and in/around Maryland Farms. I think that this far out rates would be ok. The area is very safe, and you are about 10" into downtown straight up I65. You may even get to meet me and buy one of my guns:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
I an going to be on vacation this week. (The week of the show). I may take a detour up from guntersville before coming home. Only down side is that ill be towing the boat. Or, I could leave home a day early, drop the boat home and then drive from JC to Nashville. Either way ill probably attended. Edited by TacoBubba

<$100/night in Nashville will mean moving a good ways out, or having a lower standard of rooms.

Just to get some perspective, would you consider a standard Hampton Inn/Fairfield Inn to be a nice place, about what you're looking for, or a dive where you'd only stay if you had no other choice?
[We stayed at Hampton Inns several times in the past. No complaints.

There's only one budget-friendly hotel downtown and it's booked up during the NRA convention. The next best thing would be a toss-up between The Gulch and West End/Vanderbilt. You'll have more choices of hotels in West End, but The Gulch is a little closer to downtown.

There's only one hotel that I know of in The Gulch and that's a new Fairfield Inn. That's one of the hottest areas of Nashville right now for boutique shops and restaurants. Peg Leg Porker is close by as is the bluegrass venue Station Inn. I don't know if the Fairfield has a shuttle or not. There's a free bus shuttle run by the city called the Music City Circuit. The green line runs from the Gulch to downtown. A cab would be a bout $5 or so each way.

There are a lot of hotels in the West End/Vanderbilt area and many have free shuttles. Some will still charge for parking just like the downtown hotels, but some don't, so be sure to call and ask.

After that you're going to be looking in the suburbs. I'd take Brentwood over the Aiport. You'll have a few more dining options and it's a better neighborhood. Either is going to put you about 10 minutes from downtown. Parking downtown is plentiful and generally cheap compared to other cities. A popular favorite spot is the library garage. It maxes out at $10/day or $5 after 5pm and all day on weekends. That's where I always park. It's #77 on this map: http://www.parkitdowntown.com/maps/interactive-map

Edited by monkeylizard

Just be aware that The Pharmacy and Loveless prohibit carry. I don't know about the others.

I was at loveless last week sticker on the door was gone, it seems to be no longer posted. I was with family but will verify politely with the manager when I go next.

• Like 1

As far as what to do in Nashville away from the show, that depends on your interests. Some of the top attractions are (all are downtown excpet Belle Meade and The Hermitage):

• The hony tonks on Broadway. No cover charge. Bring some singles to tip the bands.
  • The Country Music Hall of Fame, including RCA Studio B and Hatch Show Print
  • Backstage tour of The Ryman
  • Tour of the State Capitol and grounds (free)
  • Tennessee State Museum (free) and it's neighbor the Tennessee War Museum (also free)
  • Bicentennial Mall State Park and the neighboring Nashville Farmer's Market
  • The Hermitage, home of President Andrew Jackson
  • Belle Meade Plantation (a nicer home and tour than The Hermitage, but it's not the home of a POTUS)
  • The Frist Center (art museum)
  • The Johnny Cash muesum is new and getting some good reviews over on TripAdvisor. If you're fan, it may be worth the stop.

A few off the beaten path ones are:

• The Arcade - A small shopping area. Entrances are on 4th and 5th Ave between Church and Union streets. Country singer Buddy Jewell owns a donut shop there (peace love and little donuts) and the Peanut Shop is awesome for great peanuts and old fashioned candies.
  • The Hermitage Hotel - It's the crown jewel of Nashville. Go in and check out the lobby, then go downstairs to the right of the restaurant to the restrooms. The men's room is an art deco masterpiece. Ladies go in all the time just to check it out too, so make sure the coast is clear, then take your wife in. It's about as cool as a restroom can be. There's a mirror to the left of the shoe shine stand that used to move. al Capone would hide behind it when the feds would come looking for him. It's now fixed in place.
  • War Memorial Plaza - Home to the state's official war memorials. The entrance to the state war museum is in the SW corner of the plaza.
  • If you enjoy such things, there's a fantastic laser tag place on 2nd Ave called Laser Quest. It's next to the Old Spaghetti Factory
  • Tour the Corsair whiskey distillery
  • Tour any of several breweries (Jackalope, Fat Bottom, and Yazoo are all popular)
Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

It's super faded, but still there. Both on the restaurant and at the gift shop.

I remember it being super faded along with a bunch of other stickers on the door, LAST WEEK all of the stickers other than the no smoking sticker were GONE. It might be they have seen the light, it might be that they are seeking a replacement or moved the posting location but I did not see the old faded sticker on my way out the door.