Exercise / Physical Conditioning

Guest Todd@CIS

Guest Todd@CIS

I thought it would be interesting to see what folks do for exercise.

I think "gun people" sometimes forget that a gun doesn't solve all physical altercations. In the past I've started a H2H defense thread, now I'm curious about PT routines.

Since I hate to run and am interested in "functional strength training", I usually do something from here...

www.crossfit.com

PS. I don't want to turn this into a numbers or bragging thread, just what you do.

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been neglecting exercise pretty heavily for a few months now, but in the height of my fitness, I was running 3mi 3 times a week, swimming 3-5k yrds 2 times a week, and weight training 2-4 times a week.

I've been heavily interested in starting a crossfit routine, as the pace, intensity, and relatively short workouts are highly appealing to me. Not to mention the fact that many crossfitters have achieved great results.

Even though my last job entailed beau coup physical effort, and not many folks my age could even do it (FedEx Ground contractor), it wasn't crap for cardio, and after about 4 months of retirement goofing off (and not even walking many golf courses) I found myself after a checkup with all the bad signs of inactivity....

Since I have squirrely back and some other aches I need to look into, I just started (fast) walking, about 3.75 mi/hour...have done over 300 miles since Aug. 18. While I hope to be adding some other regimens soon, just walking alone, getting the pumper up to 110-120 sustained pulse has dropped 20 lbs, gotten overall cholesterol/triglicerides/sugar, etc all back into the accepted levels. Haven't changed diet at all (I'm pretty much low carber, although not a total Nazi about it). Only treat I've really given up for a while is ice cream (about the only pure sugar I ate anyway).

Hasn't done much for upper body strength, though. Really need to swim, overall best non-impact thing to do, looking into finding more convenient way to do it...worst thing about the walking is that it's time consuming, 2-3 hours at a time, and if I weren't retired wouldn't have time to do it, really.

So, for an old fart, it's pretty amazing what just this one form of exercise has accomplished in only a couple months.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Todd@CIS
Oh yeah,I lay block and brick all day as well.Sometimes that is my only exercise.:death:

Probably tougher than the rest...functional strength training.

I have to be careful because sometimes I just ride around in the car all day and eat like crap. I'm pretty happy with my exercise habits, but it's my diet that hurts me. At 240, I need to lose about 10-20lbs (being 6'03" just hides it well).

Sometimes I do this, too.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/inmag10.htm

Head to toe, this is an asskicker and all you need is a slegehammer and a tire w/ rim (I throw a bag of kitty litter in the center of mine to keep it anchored).

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest nraforlife

3 times a week - 20 minutes on treadmill 10 min on elipical 15 minutes on bike and then free weights. 3 times a week - every other day, 2+ miles of walking. No sugar drinks.....

I run, started back in July. Hated running ever since I was in the Army. Somewhat enjoying it at the moment. Ran my first 5k earlier this month, 28:26 I was 4th out of 10 in my age group and 86th overall out of 280. Very happy, my goal was to finish, under 30 minutes, and not last in my age group. Done.

Crossfit is crazy. My BIL does it and it is very intense. I've looked at it, thought about it, but working on my cardio and heart health first (my family sucks at the heart health thing). Looking to start adding in strenght training soon.

Guest canynracer

pushups, situps pull ups...some weights, about to start running (I gotta quit smoking)

I imagine I am going to go through hell if the Sheriff reserves take me, academy 6 months...

Guest Todd@CIS

The nice thing about CrossFit is that you can tailor it to your current physical condition.

Some workouts I can't do or they aren't appropriate for my needs.

I've been training MMA with a small gym in Mount Juliet for about 3 months. Awesome cardio workout and learning some new things at the same time. I've been trying to get at least 2-3 classes a week. Running and weight lifting was getting boring.

• Administrator

Free weights every morning. Typically dumbells. I rotate through different major muscle groups, but I do curls, reverse curls and hammer curls every day no matter what. On the days that I am focusing on arms specifically I use heavier weights. On the other days I use lighter weights for those.

Crunches every morning. Sometimes in the evening as well. The Doberman and I will be getting our butts out for walks in the evenings now that he's healed up from his surgery.

I'm going to give this Cross Fit thing a look. I prefer to only run if I'm making my way to cover. :death:

Guest Mugster

I lift every morning, freeweights. I do a triple split, chest/shoulders&back/legs, so it only takes me 15-20 minutes to get one piece done, and i cover everything in 3 days. Then I run from between a mile to 3 miles depending on how quick (bout 10 miles a week). Run some quick 20-40 yard bursts when done. Stretch. Take a couple days off every 14 days. Occasionally I'll circuit train, but i need 2 days of recovery. I run a 5k every once in awhile for fun. I don't really have time to train for anything further.

(off and on):

5K about three times a week (in the 'hood, not on a treadmill)

homemade crossfit-style workout including hitting bag/jumprope/pushups about twice a week (not as intense as a true crossfit though)

bicycle now and then

I did walk about 5 miles a day at work, but have been in an office setting for about 7 months now, and am up to ~185, which is not a good number for me. I have a fondness for milkshakes and chocolate chip cookies that I am trying to overcome. I'm also trying to be disciplined enough to go to bed early enough to get up early enough to work out or run before getting to work at 7 am, but I often stay up too late on the internet. Go figure.

(off and on):

5K about three times a week (in the 'hood, not on a treadmill)

homemade crossfit-style workout including hitting bag/jumprope/pushups about twice a week (not as intense as a true crossfit though)

bicycle now and then

I did walk about 5 miles a day at work, but have been in an office setting for about 7 months now, and am up to ~185, which is not a good number for me. I have a fondness for milkshakes and chocolate chip cookies that I am trying to overcome. I'm also trying to be disciplined enough to go to bed early enough to get up early enough to work out or run before getting to work at 7 am, but I often stay up too late on the internet. Go figure.

Did you know the milkshakes or malts, I love chocolate malts, at Perkins has 4 scoops of ice cream! Dang they are delicious! Milkshakes and losing weight don't mix.

Just by doing the cardio that I have done, about 10 miles a week, getting ready to move that up to 12-15 I hope, I have lost about 10lbs, I feel better, sleep better, I can stand longer without my feet or legs hurting. It is amazing how much it helps. Just got to do it.

I got a milkshake at Burger King every day last week. This week has been much better, though.

About five years ago, I decided to drink a glass of water instead of the coke that I would have had. NO BS, I lost 8 lbs in two weeks. Went from 180 down to 172. Only problem now is, I don't drink that much coke. :rock:

For all you runners, walkers or people that want to, go here and it can help you plot your course. you start recording and double click your points, you have to do straight lines thought it will not follow curves in the road, it will tell you where the 1 mile, 2 mile etc marks are. Neat tool.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ Map is from google maps.

Guest canynracer
I got a milkshake at Burger King every day last week. This week has been much better, though.

About five years ago, I decided to drink a glass of water instead of the coke that I would have had. NO BS, I lost 8 lbs in two weeks. Went from 180 down to 172. Only problem now is, I don't drink that much coke. :rock:

me too...I drink water and sweet tea...mostly water...and its not "real" sweet tea, its at Kroger, red label, no caffine, no sugar...but its sweet..go figure...anyway, I cut the cokes, and dropped weight instantly.

I like to do at least 24 bottles worth of 12oz curls a week :rock:. I used to be really into lifting, 5 days a week, until I hurt my back. Now its all body weight training and cardio on my bike, and stretching.