Exercise / Physical Conditioning

Guest Todd@CIS

Sorry....day #7 you can rest or do the stretch dvd. So it is 6 days of a hard workout, then 7th day is rest or stretch.

John

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Be sure to keep us posted on your results. :eek:

I'll join in on my progress once my DVDs arrive. I've already got everything else I'll need.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest db99wj
Received my DVDs for P90X today. I plan to start on Monday, as I want my rest/light day to be on Sundays.

I'll keep you guys posted on my opinions of the system.

Please keep us posted on this system, I saw it one night....late! Looked intense, not some get fit easy scheme. It works your ass off....literally!

I've been running and exercising, and eating right, lost about 23-25lbs. Ran my second 5k this past weekend, lost over 3 inches in my waste (tight 34 down to a lose 32, and went down 3 belt links.)

I've lost my weight, I want to tone up the old body now. IE abs. and upper body, my legs are fine with the running.

Guest pjblurton
Ran my second 5k this past weekend

Which ones did you run? I signed up for the Firecracker 5k on July 3rd. I figured it would take me that long to get to the point where I wouldn't embarrass myself.:rofl:

Guest db99wj

It was the Cardinal 5K at St. Louis Catholic Church. This is our 4th annual race, so it is a pretty new race.

I have heard the Firecracker 5k is a fun one, pretty big. Wanted to run that one but something always comes up. We are going to be down at Gulf Shores this year.

Are you running treadmill or on the road. There is a difference, also, which this shouldn't be a problem by then, the heat. You need to be acclimated to it pretty good. The one I ran last week was Sunday afternoon, mid 80's and sunny. It was tough on a lot of people.

Good luck and dont' worry about embarrassing yourself. Your goal is to finish your first one.

How far are you running at this point?

Guest pjblurton

I run twice a week (weather permitting) around our complex @ work. It's gated and fairly secure. 2 laps = 3.2mi.

I run twice a week on a treadmill 3.5 miles @ 7mph.

Then twice a week on the eliptical, 30 minutes @ 10mph.

There is definitely a difference between eliptical, treadmill and road work. I am trying to work it up to 5k on the street 4 times a week. I've got my time down to 27 min. I would like to get it down to 23-24 by July 3rd.

I know the heat is going to be a booger, the race is at 7pm and others I have talked to have said it was hotter than hades... I think if I can run it 4 times a week by then, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the kind words and support.

Guest db99wj
I run twice a week (weather permitting) around our complex @ work. It's gated and fairly secure. 2 laps = 3.2mi.

I run twice a week on a treadmill 3.5 miles @ 7mph.

Then twice a week on the eliptical, 30 minutes @ 10mph.

There is definitely a difference between eliptical, treadmill and road work. I am trying to work it up to 5k on the street 4 times a week. I've got my time down to 27 min. I would like to get it down to 23-24 by July 3rd.

I know the heat is going to be a booger, the race is at 7pm and others I have talked to have said it was hotter than hades... I think if I can run it 4 times a week by then, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the kind words and support.

Dude, you could run one right now! You will probably run a little faster in a race, you will pace with other runners that are faster than you and it will help with your time. You are at 27 minutes, is that on the road? That's great. My time is right at 27 minutes on a normal road run most days. Some days a little longer. I have two issues, I have a little patella pain that I have a brace for on one knee, and I don't run consistent enough due to time. My kids are both playing softball/baseball, and I will be able to hopefully run a little more during the week. We just bought a treadmill and I have started running on that during the week or on rainy days like today.

Don't worry about where you place in your age group. You are in the worst group of runners that you could possibly be in for placement, the 36 to 40 year olds, there is a bunch of machines in that group. I am in that group too. The race last week, I ran with my wife, this one was her first 5k since high school (15 years ago), she started running in January. I ran with her at her pace. We finished about 31:15. The way I felt I could have gotten 27 minutes I think. I felt great. The winner in the 35 to 39 yr old group ran it in 20: 18! He is a friend of mine, he runs marathons...see, machines.

The thing I have been told you have to watch in the bigger races is getting caught up in the crowd at the start. Some races do a time starts in groups, you estimate your time, and you start in a similiar group so that everyone is not in a huge crowd.

My first race, last October (St. Francis Octoberfest) I ran it in 28:26. The winner ran it in 21:06. THat course has hills! I hate hills! We all started at once, I was in the middle, and had to slow up, go around and dodge other people. It at least took 30 seconds to a minute off my time.

If you go to racesonline.com, you can see all the races and results on there. I just looked and those guys are amazing, here are the top 10 in our age group at the firecracker 5k last year,

1 Scott Mcneil 9 9 38 16:33 5:21 Germantown TN

2 Mark Temme 30 29 39 18:23 5:56 Memphis TN

3 Michael Barnes 47 44 39 19:08 6:11 Arlington TN

4 Leo Warmuth 55 52 38 19:23 6:16 Rossville TN

5 Gregory Mazzaferro 60 57 35 19:34 6:19 Memphis TN

6 Scott Peatross 61 58 38 19:35 6:19 Memphis TN

7 Glenn Weatherly 71 67 39 19:56 6:26 Somerville TN

8 Justin Keeton 78 73 35 20:07 6:30 Memphis TN

9 Ben Shaw 79 74 36 20:07 6:30 Memphis TN

10 Jim Mirda 93 85 39 20:45 6:42 Cordova TN

The over all winner of that race was 25 yrs old and ran it in 15:45!!!

With all that said, I run for me, not placement, because I can't and won't be able to run a 20 minute 5k. I would like to get to around 24 minutes though.

Oh, well, all this talk, makes me want to go run....again, I already ran 3.1 miles today!

Guest pjblurton

yeah, 27 min is on the road here around the neighborhood (relatively flat). A buddy of mine did the firecracker last year right at 22min. He is going to run with me this time and help with my pace.

I'm not worried about placing. I know that's not going to happen. My competitive nature keeps pushing me to run harder against me...

Guest db99wj
yeah, 27 min is on the road here around the neighborhood (relatively flat). A buddy of mine did the firecracker last year right at 22min. He is going to run with me this time and help with my pace.

I'm not worried about placing. I know that's not going to happen. My competitive nature keeps pushing me to run harder against me...

I know what you mean. I ran yesterday (3.1) and today (3.1), averaged 29 minutes. Just an easy not pushing real hard run. I would like to get that down to 27 even or a little lower, than I could push myself in a race. If I keep my running consistently, I am sure I can get there. Just got to do it.

Guest pjblurton

2.) Tony Horton is kind of a douche.

That was pretty much the impression that I got from the infomercial...

Ok, so I did "Plyometrics" on Tuesday, and I still hurt. It was an awesome workout. Last night was "Shoulders and Arms", which seemed like a great full arm workout, but wasn't nearly as demanding as Plyometrics. The "Ab Ripper X" portion is the worst thing ever. EVER! I mean, it's a good workout, and it's only 15 minutes long but it's 350-some odd ab movements, and it's HIGHLY challenging. I can't do every movement in it yet.

Guest db99wj
Ok, so I did "Plyometrics" on Tuesday, and I still hurt. It was an awesome workout. Last night was "Shoulders and Arms", which seemed like a great full arm workout, but wasn't nearly as demanding as Plyometrics. The "Ab Ripper X" portion is the worst thing ever. EVER! I mean, it's a good workout, and it's only 15 minutes long but it's 350-some odd ab movements, and it's HIGHLY challenging. I can't do every movement in it yet.

I have been told the core exercises are pretty extreme for beginners, that to be careful and don't hurt yourself!

I finished Week 1 of P90X on Sunday, so I thought I'd post my thoughts on it thus far.

Even after just 1 week, I'm already seeing results. Nothing completely drastic, but I can definitely feel my entire body toning up, and my pants are loosening up noticeably. P90X has proved an excellent full body workout. The strength training exercises are done in circuit form, at a pretty fast pace, which really gets your heart going.

I feel the most challenging workouts are "Chest & Back" (LOTS of Pull Ups and Push Ups), and "Plyometrics", which is a form of jump training used to develop explosive power in muscles. It's a lot of Jump Squats and Lunges!

I'll probably update my experiences w/ the program every week or two. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Guest db99wj
I finished Week 1 of P90X on Sunday, so I thought I'd post my thoughts on it thus far.

Even after just 1 week, I'm already seeing results. Nothing completely drastic, but I can definitely feel my entire body toning up, and my pants are loosening up noticeably. P90X has proved an excellent full body workout. The strength training exercises are done in circuit form, at a pretty fast pace, which really gets your heart going.

I feel the most challenging workouts are "Chest & Back" (LOTS of Pull Ups and Push Ups), and "Plyometrics", which is a form of jump training used to develop explosive power in muscles. It's a lot of Jump Squats and Lunges!

I'll probably update my experiences w/ the program every week or two. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Cool. Keep us updated.

• Administrator

I obtained a copy of the P90X program last week and am probably going to start it this next Monday. There was a point in my life when I was in really good shape. That point was about 15 years ago. I fully expect this program to kick my ass and make me regret every Hostess cupcake enjoyed since then. :D

@Poak -- What are you using for your pullups? Pullup bar or resistance bands?

When I was thinking about going into the military those 15 years ago, one of the things the recruiting center really worked me to death on was pullups. I'm almost overjoyed at the idea of going down that road (re: pullups) again. :biglol:

@Poak -- What are you using for your pullups? Pullup bar or resistance bands?

I'm using a door mounted pull up bar from wally world. I think it's called the "Iron Gym"... I use it both as a pull up bar, and a push up bar (to increase ROM).

They suggest the bands ONLY if you are completely physically incapable of pull ups, or are unable to obtain any sort of apparatus to do so. Since I am currently unable to do set after set of pull ups, I use their "chair method" (which they demonstrate in the Intro DVD). Basically, I do as many as I can, and when I need a little help I put the tip of one foot on a chair placed in front of me, and use that to stabilize and relieve the least amount of weight possible to still obtain proper form. The farther away the chair, the more difficult. I found it to be a great technique for increasing reps.

I highly suggest following the nutrition plan that goes alongside the workouts. It's more of a meal plan than a diet, really. Lots of fresh veggies, meat and fish. Minimal carbs and refined sugars.

You'll notice in their dvds, they really push the P90X branded "Recovery Drink" and protein bars. Personally, I think you're better off buying EAS Whey Protein (5lb bag for $29.99 @ Costco) or Body Fortress (2lb tub for 14.99 @ Wally World), then buying a workout recovery supplement that suits you from GNC or Vitamin World. And of course Protein Bars can be found aplenty at virtually any grocer. The trick is finding ones that don't taste like glue and bark. :popcorn:

Guest db99wj

That reminds, me, I have a friend that has it, said he would let me use it. Need to get a pull up bar.

My deal is that I am at a good weight, I need to get better in shape on the strength side of things. I can run, I can run 4 miles without any difficulty breathing, my lungs are good, it's the body that hurts like hell!

I weight train at the Signal Mountain Athletic club 3 times weekly (about 45 minutes - 1 hour normally), and have trained in Bando and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about 11 years now (which will absolutely whip your rear end as far as aerobic endurance training).

David, It's top notch stuff. Most of the fights in the real world end up on the ground (unless you're a very proficient striker) , might as well be able to take full advantage of the situation. Even as a novice, it should allow you to tie someone up long enough to draw your weapon, if the situation calls for it. Bando is more or less an "underground" fighting style, as there can be no official Bando Dojos according to the ABA charter. It's a very proficient fight form.

http://www.americanbandoassociation.com/

Edited by Good_Steward