Exercise / Physical Conditioning

Guest Todd@CIS

Guest Todd@CIS
I'm supposed to be starting in BJJ very soon myself if things come together and one of the local instructors starts teaching at a school close to my residence. I'm pretty pumped about it.

Keep me posted, please.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm supposed to be starting in BJJ very soon myself if things come together and one of the local instructors starts teaching at a school close to my residence. I'm pretty pumped about it.

Where/who you thinking about taking up training w/ David?

I'm wanting to get back into BJJ myself.

I trained @ Nashville Mixed Martial arts back when Luiz Palhares (6th Degree Black Belt from the Rickson Gracie Camp, and 3X Pan American Champion) was the instructor. I hear Nashville MMA has changed a lot in the past few years, but (aside from their cheesy advertising campaigns & lousy training contracts) is still a top notch school and a facility.

• Administrator
Keep me posted, please.

Will do. FWIW, the instructor's pedigree is pretty substantial. I believe he studied one step beneath one of the Gracies if not directly beneath them. We're trying to get him set up with a school here in Smyrna for classes at least once a week. :rolleyes:

Guest Halfpint

Just updating my exercise regimen . . .

I do Crossfit at the recruiting office as often as I can make it to pool PT, and do a 3-station crossfit workout at night every night. I write down stations and pick three at random, basically.

I also started doing a gym-based workout, four stations, for an hour to hour and a half a night, at least five times a week. I never let myself miss two days back to back, I usually take Friday and Sunday off.

--Run a half mile, 3:30 to 4:00 pace.

--100 crunches

--10 pullups

--10 pushups

And my IST scores have improved accordingly. :rolleyes:

Well today started Day 1 for me. I joined a gym right between both my jobs, but a fair distance from my apartment. I did this so I have to pass by it everyday I work. I plan on doing a mixed full body workout 5 days a week.

Some things have really hit me lately and I'm developing an entire new outlook. I want to be in better shape and not only crafting my body, but my mind as well.

Guest justme

before my mother became sick with leukemia I would do a 4 mile walk/road march with an 80lb rucksack 4 times a week followed by lifting weights and a 3-5 mile jog--averaging 8 minutes/mile every other day along with a few other special things that I do which I won't go into....

Guest Biggun

I started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu just a few weeks ago. Right now I am focusing on building endurance, so a few times a week I just do the same drills that we are doing in class...I might mix it up with some burpees. I love weightlifting, and plan on getting back into that in few weeks. The next step will be medicine ball workouts that look brutal!

Guest mustangdave

Finally cracked the 250lb mark...at 248lbs...rowing machine (5K) twice a week after work, and 25-30 lengths of the pool on saturday mornings at the Smyrna YMCA...followed by a 20 minute sit in the sauna. I started at 280lbs....slow steady weight loss...moderation in portions (eat less)...and consistancy

I've been a member of a gym for a few years - haven't been in almost a year. About 2 weeks ago, I went back in and started hitting the elliptical pretty hard. That first night - I did 30 minutes @ about 5mph.

Slacked off a few days, next was 45 miniutes.

Last night, I did 30 min. on the elliptical, 15 min on the treadmill, then another hour on the elliptical - no breaks. I think it was a bit over 7 miles total.

This morning I did another 30min/2.5miles on the elliptical before work.

My biggest problem right now is intermittent foot pain after about 20-30 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill. I've tried a variety of shoes - I think I'm going to head to Fleet Feet in Brentwood this afternoon and see if I can get measured and find something that fits.

I was a sprinter and wrestler in HS... graduated 6'2" tall and 150 lbs :down: Currently the same height, but weighing in at 230 some 15 years later. I'd love to get down to about 200lbs, but to be honest - I'm not worried about weight any more, I just want to be fit and HEALTHY. I figure weight will work itself out if I focus on health.

Oh, and I'd love to run a marathon some day - I just don't know if I can pull it off. Maybe I'll start with a 5k and see how bad that is.

• 1 month later...
Guest pjblurton
Oh, and I'd love to run a marathon some day - I just don't know if I can pull it off. Maybe I'll start with a 5k and see how bad that is.

My first 5K (in 19yrs) is this Friday, The Firecracker 5k to benefit St. Jude. I started my weight loss Dec 1, 2008 and have lost 50lbs so far.

I did a test run of the course today and ran a 22:34.59!

Now... that was on the sidewalk and the race will be in the street so that will add a little to the distance. Just hope the crowd doesn't slow me down too much.

This was the last of three goals that I had set back in Dec. I've been running for the last two weeks at 3:00pm trying to get used to the heat, the race is at 7pm so I don't think it will be an issue.

I'm here to tell you guys, you can do it once you set your mind to it and make the decision to stay dedicated. Yeah, I have a beer from time to time. Hell, This weekend I had a bunch... But have a few and run extra hard the next day or give up that second helping at the dinner table.

Calories in - Calories out!

Guest FiddleDog

Burpees are great if you don't have access to a full range gym...and even if you do. The strength training is exceptional. It won't get you huge, but it will get you strong.

I am a lapsed triathlete, but still run about 20mi, bike about 40mi, and swim about 15k a week. I used to bike a lot more than I do now, but only do a one ride a week. The roads just aren't safe. Although bikes have every right to be there, it's hard to argue with 2 tons of steel that thinks they don't. Anyone in the Knoxville area running the pilot 5k on Friday night?

For those that were following my P90X reviews, I've slacked off, but restarted from phase 1 this week.

I got to week 5-1/2 or 6 but life happened and I fell off track. It's a great program, it just takes A LOT of discipline. I lost about 15 pounds, and gained noticeable muscle. Even though I slacked off the workouts, I haven't deviated from the nutrition plan. I've learned A LOT about nutrition in the past few weeks. Diets don't work, nutrition plans and lifestyle changes do.

I'd recommend it to anyone, just know that you should be in decent shape if you want good results. If you're already in above average shape, I'd expect you to see AWESOME results (considering what it did for me. You'll notice more changes in the way you feel and the way your clothes fit than you will at the scale.

I used to bike a lot more than I do now, but only do a one ride a week. The roads just aren't safe.

I hear ya, man. My bike has a motor, and drivers still scare the crap out of me :D

Swimming rocks. I was once a regional champ in the 500y freestyle, and I'd love to be in that kind of shape again... I wish I had the funds to finance a pool of my own. The convenience of a swim workout (or more accurately, lack thereof) is the only thing holding me off.

I REALLY want to do a triathlon before I die.

Guest DefensiveGuy

A good post to start what i think is my first post. Hi All!. Been hiking for about 5 months, love it. Wife and I recently bought bicycles to ride around the neighborhood after workdays, etc. Bought a kayak, sometimes just paddle around the local state parks and sometimes fish from it. Work can be physically demanding at times walking all over the building (Plant Maintenance), climbing ladders, etc. Physical numbers good recently, my BP and Chol use to be a tad high but lost weight and got those down.

Will like these activities even better when i can carry! (except work, its posted)

• 1 month later...

I've been doing BJJ for 8 years, sometimes I let the MMA guys beat me up at the gym and a lot of running. For you guy's that want a goal, try Jailbreak Triathlon in Columbia. Canoeing, mountain biking, and running. You compete in pairs, theres 4 teams from my unit that will be participating. Also Muddy Buddy in May, fun for the whole family. Theres actually a lot of events that happen around our area. These events are cheap, and you meet a lot of cool people.

Swimming has totally changed my outlook on exercise. I do run once a week for a couple of miles, I do lift weights twice a week as well but NOTHING works for me betetr than swimming laps. Even 20 minutes, 3-4 times a week is enough.