Exercise / Physical Conditioning

Guest Todd@CIS

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hornet Handler
To those that have done P90X...what are your impressions?

I had little problems with Phase 1. Phase 2 was OMFG! Went back to Phase 1 for 2 weeks then life went to hell. Traveling working odd hours and stuff. So I haven't gotten back on the horse yet. The diet is cool though. Still on that part. lol

Guest Todd@CIS

Last night I did my SledgeHammer training as referenced in post #6.

I hadn't done it in awhile due to a nagging elbow injury.

I hit an old semi truck tire w/ rim weighted down with a bag of kitty litter.

After a warmup...

25 swings on each side. Rest 1 min when you reach 100 swings.

Repeat the 100 swing circuits as appropriate to your level of fitness.

Asskicker.

And yes, my neighbors think I'm a lunatic.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Todd@CIS
I had little problems with Phase 1. Phase 2 was OMFG! Went back to Phase 1 for 2 weeks then life went to hell. Traveling working odd hours and stuff. So I haven't gotten back on the horse yet. The diet is cool though. Still on that part. lol

Thanks!

Guest Mugster
Last night I did my SledgeHammer training as referenced in post #6.

I hadn't done it in awhile due to a nagging elbow injury.

I hit an old semi truck tire w/ rim weighted down with a bag of kitty litter.

After a warmup...

25 swings on each side. Rest 1 min when you reach 100 swings.

Repeat the 100 swing circuits as appropriate to your level of fitness.

Asskicker.

And yes, my neighbors think I'm a lunatic.

Humping down the road with a PVC pipe across your shoulders filled full of concrete will get you labeled a fruitloop too.

What you need is a wood stove. Cut your firewood by hand with an axe and a maul, sledgehammer and wedges. We used to do that all summer in addition to lifting for football. Course, we needed the wood too. But we brutalized alot of pretty good teams with hitting.

I tell ya, a circuit with 60% max on the dead lift, pullups, and 60% max on the benchpress is good crap if you have the equipment. Keep the sets short and control your heartrate. Throw in a lap around the block every 2-3 set cycles...I can't take it more than about 30-45 minutes. Circuit training rules.

Sometimes, I'll do squats/bench/abs in a circuit too, but i like doing something for back, and I can't with bars on both the bench and the squatrack. The squats/bench/sledgehammer thing might work. Or no equipment, slegehammer/no weight squats/pushups.

• 2 weeks later...

I travel often and have never done well staying with a routine on the road. I decided to find some things I could do in the hotel room.

Hindu Squats - It is my understanding that Shoot Fighters in Japan can do 500 in one set! These will kick your butt...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSVpo4mzNI[/ame] The only thing I do different is go low enough to let my knuckles swipe the ground.

I am about to start this program...

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html It will fit anyone's fitness level

I will let you know how it goes!

Mick

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread to see how peoples training was coming.

I slacked off big time, but I've been going strong on weight training for almost a month now.

I've decided I want to give P90X a shot, so has anyone here that has tried it reaped it's rewards yet?

Anybody tried out CrosFit?

Guest Hornet Handler

P90X is awsome if you have the time to stick to it.

Crossfit is intence also. But I found you need more equipment/space to do it.

Crossfit is intence also. But I found you need more equipment/space to do it.

That's the reason I'm looking to get into P90X. There is a group or two in Nashville that does Crossfit, but I can't really make it work with my schedule currently.

What is a good idea of the time constraints of P90X? I've figured 1-1.5hrs a day.

Honestly? I'm a big fat guy who hates exercising just for exercise sake. Lately I've been working on building my endurance by taking my dog for longer and longer walks, using the treadmill while I watch TV, and taking the stairs at work more often. I can't climb all the way to 13 from ground, but I'm now getting off the elevator on 7 and climbing the rest of the way at least once or twice a day.

Guest jackdog

Tread climber 5 days a week 30. dumb bells 20 min a day 3days. Stretching and flexibility training 7 days a week 10 to 15 min. The flex training as really helped the old bones joints and muscles a lot. I have freer movement know than I did 3 years ago.

Oh yeah I've gained about 25 yards on my driver as well. Still need to work harder on my diet.

Edited by jackdog
Guest mustangdave

3 times a week at the YMCA...swim 20-24 lengths of the lap pool, 5K on the rowing machine...what I do depends on what time I go after work and if the lap pool is available...usually I'll row M-W...followed by the dry sauna. Sat I do dry sauna then hit the pool for the 20-24 lengths then back in the sauna...If I'm really feeling ambitious I'll add in the pull up/dip machine. I also have a kalistendics routine I picked up years ago from my SEAL friends it intensity has been modified as I've gotten...:D...older. My wife and i also take out the Mt bikes every now and then. As you see its a lot of low impact stuff...the navy and morning PT reeked havoc on my knees...so far one knee has been scoped.

Guest pjblurton

I remember when this thread started. I didn't post to it 'cause I wasn't doing anything. At all...

I was 5' 8" and 230lbs at the time.

Well, I'm still 5'8" and haven't found an exercise that fixes that. But I have worked my way up to the following routine, and follow it religiously. Every week, without fail.

Mon / Wed / Fri - 30min on the elliptical @ 10+mph.

Then Circuit training:

3 sets of 12 reps - pull ups

3 sets of 12 reps - dips

3 sets of 12 reps - tricep pushdowns

3 sets of 12 reps - barbell curls

3 sets of 12 reps - 12lb medicine ball routine

Tue / Thu - 30min on the elliptical @ 10+mph.

Then Circuit training:

3 sets of 12 reps - seated rows

3 sets of 12 reps - leg curls (quads)

3 sets of 12 reps - leg lifts (hams)

3 sets of 12 reps - bench press

3 sets of 12 reps - 12lb medicine ball routine

Saturday - 5k (3.1mi) 'round the hood.

Sunday is the lords day, and we rest...

I do all of the circuit training with an emphasis on speed and not weight. I do three sets of everything with less than 15 seconds rest between each set to keep the cardio up. I keep the weight just heavy enough that I hit concentric failure at the last two reps of the last set.

The medicine ball routine is basically touching my left foot with the medicine ball and then streching up and to the right towards the ceiling, 12 times. Then right foot left ceiling, 12 times. Then between both feet center ceiling, 12 times. Then holding the ball at the chest and chest pass the ball toward the ceiling, 12 times. No breaks at all between sets. Believe me, this will kick your ass!

Everything is working out well so far. Since Dec 1, I have lost 39lbs. My % body fat has dropped from 32% to 18%. I am no longer on blood pressure meds with an unmedicated 118/81 BP. I feel beter than I have felt in 15 years.

I have 11 lbs to go to reach my goal of 50lbs and I will not stop until I get there. (and I ain't goin' back) After I lose 50, I may tweek things here or there but hope to get the % body fat to 10% and keep it there.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else has going on.

Edited by pjblurton
Guest pjblurton
I've seen the ads for the px90 program and would like to learn from others if this program is worth the bucks.

I've seen 'em on Craigslist for 25-45 bucks...

Guest Hornet Handler
That's the reason I'm looking to get into P90X. There is a group or two in Nashville that does Crossfit, but I can't really make it work with my schedule currently.

What is a good idea of the time constraints of P90X? I've figured 1-1.5hrs a day.

That's it 1-1.5 hrs a day. Every day.

Some lady that works with my wife and her husband are doing P90x they swear by it. I'm really thinking hard about picking it up.

Right now I'm hitting the gym hard on Mondays and then doing weights, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc around the house the other days.

Guest pjblurton
I shopped around craigslist too, no one that had it wanted to do a FTF, paypal and then they shipped... gotta be a scam.

Most likely if that is the case...

Started P90-X last week. I am a total fatty, and it is tough, but not impossible. It does require about 1 to 1.5 hrs 6 days a week. Your last day, you can rest or do the stretch dvd.

Edited by Angus

I'm trying to get back into shape.

I lift heavy weights for 1 hour at lunch 5 days per week.

I do 50 minutes on the elliptical in the morning 4 days per week, (I don't do it after the legs work-out on Thursdays).

For you younger bucks, it's much easier to maintain your shape than to try and get it back in your late 40's!

Does that mean on the 6th day, then take the 7th day off, or you can choose to stretch OR take the day off for the 7th day?

Sorry....day #7 you can rest or do the stretch dvd. So it is 6 days of a hard workout, then 7th day is rest or stretch.

John