Ok small rant about gun myths

Spots

Let's see, my personal "favorites" include but certainly are not limited too:

1.Anything with a scope on it being called a sniper rifle.
2. Being asked which rifles are "automatic".
3. "The AR 15 fires a round so powerful it has no legitimate sporting use."
4. "The AK47 fires a round so powerful it has no legitimate sporting use."
5. Any comparison of the 7.62x39 to the 5.56x45 beyond both being small intermediate cartridges.
6. Pretty much any sheepdog reference. People aren't dogs. Not everyone who chooses not to carry is a "sheep".
7. That someone's nephews friends father had a smatter of LE or military experience which automatically making them an authority on all things firearms.
8.High round count used Glocks are worth more than new ones because they have extra magazines and are proven reliable.
  • Like 5

When stationed at Ft Bragg, I lived in a mobile home park.  My fenced in yard happened to be a perfect shortcut from a back street to Bragg Blvd.......

Oh Crap!  :stare:

That was your yard that we used as a shortcut to get to The Bottoms Up strip club!!!!!!!!! 

Sorry about that......

When someone swears that some gun info is absolutely true because a cop told them.

Example:  "My neighbors cousin is a cop, and he said that it is illegal to have more than 3 rounds loaded int any gun."

Nothing against cops all of them that I personally know are great guys.  But they are not all gun guys, they just happen to carry one everyday.  I carry all kinds of stuff around everyday like hammers, ratchet straps, shovels, and motor oil yet I do not consider myself an authority "subject matter expert" on these things, they are just tools that I use to get my job done.  I will note that I've never heard this bologna come from the mouth of a cop, some of the cops I know are VERY well informed about guns because they have a personal interest, like us, instead it always starts with the "I know a cop..."

Other people who are "gun experts."  I have an uncle that is a real A hole.  He was telling me something about his buddy that is a "gun expert" (like it's a professional title) telling him that a Taurus Judge was absolutely the best home defense weapon a person could buy.  He would listen to nothing that I said because I'm not a gun expert.  I have nothing against the Judges and similar weapons but it's not what I would grab for a bump in the night.  Just to poke the bear...  Ever shot a squirrel with a .410 and had to shoot it again?

• Like 1

I was in Walmart and watched a guy have the clerk hand him every shotgun. He would rack them violently with his head sort of cocked and his buddy asked him what he was doing. The guy said he was figuring out which gun racked the loudest because that is how you scare away an intruder. I laughed pretty hard at that one and the clerk just shook her head.

Had the sporting goods manager at Walmart say hollow point ammunition was designed to maim children.

In the military I heard this one more times than I can count. If a 50 BMG passes within a few feet of you it will suck the oxygen out of your lungs and kill you. We even had one "instructor" tell us to shoot it with our mouths open otherwise the concussion from the muzzle blast would kill us.

I have heard every conceivable 45 ACP story there is. They say that a grazing shot will rip your leg off. I always laugh and tell them no it doesn't. When they want to argue I show them the scar from where a 45 ACP went through my leg to which they always respond it must have been a dud.

Had a gunsmith tell a customer the 17 HMR will vaporize a groundhog and the only thing left would be the teeth.

Had a guy swear subsonic ammunition was better than supersonic against an intruder with body armor. He said supersonic would just pass through the bad buy without killing him while the subsonic ammunition would hit the vest and dump all its energy there. He said when the subsonic ammunition would hit it would break every bone in their chest and kill them instantly by stopping their heart.

Had a range RSO tell me the LC on surplus ammunition stands for Lenoir City and that is why it is so good. He looked a bit confused when I told him it meant Lake City.

I have heard all kinds of silencer myths too. I have been told they make the gun inaccurate, they do not. They reduce the velocity but in actuality they increase velocity. The bullet is less effective when fired out of a silencer. Funny how all those are the effects of having a silencer on a popular game. Another one is they are dangerous because they make a gun so quiet you can't tell if you have shot it which is utter BS.

• Like 1

I was in Walmart and watched a guy have the clerk hand him every shotgun. He would rack them violently with his head sort of cocked and his buddy asked him what he was doing. The guy said he was figuring out which gun racked the loudest because that is how you scare away an intruder. I laughed pretty hard at that one and the clerk just shook her head.

Had the sporting goods manager at Walmart say hollow point ammunition was designed to maim children.

In the military I heard this one more times than I can count. If a 50 BMG passes within a few feet of you it will suck the oxygen out of your lungs and kill you. We even had one "instructor" tell us to shoot it with our mouths open otherwise the concussion from the muzzle blast would kill us.

I have heard every conceivable 45 ACP story there is. They say that a grazing shot will rip your leg off. I always laugh and tell them no it doesn't. When they want to argue I show them the scar from where a 45 ACP went through my leg to which they always respond it must have been a dud.

Had a gunsmith tell a customer the 17 HMR will vaporize a groundhog and the only thing left would be the teeth.

Had a guy swear subsonic ammunition was better than supersonic against an intruder with body armor. He said supersonic would just pass through the bad buy without killing him while the subsonic ammunition would hit the vest and dump all its energy there. He said when the subsonic ammunition would hit it would break every bone in their chest and kill them instantly by stopping their heart.

Had a range RSO tell me the LC on surplus ammunition stands for Lenoir City and that is why it is so good. He looked a bit confused when I told him it meant Lake City.

I have heard all kinds of silencer myths too. I have been told they make the gun inaccurate, they do not. They reduce the velocity but in actuality they increase velocity. The bullet is less effective when fired out of a silencer. Funny how all those are the effects of having a silencer on a popular game. Another one is they are dangerous because they make a gun so quiet you can't tell if you have shot it which is utter BS.

Not sure how I would have responded to that one...

When someone swears that some gun info is absolutely true because a cop told them.

Example:  "My neighbors cousin is a cop, and he said that it is illegal to have more than 3 rounds loaded int any gun."

Nothing against cops all of them that I personally know are great guys.  But they are not all gun guys, they just happen to carry one everyday.  I carry all kinds of stuff around everyday like hammers, ratchet straps, shovels, and motor oil yet I do not consider myself an authority "subject matter expert" on these things, they are just tools that I use to get my job done.  I will note that I've never heard this bologna come from the mouth of a cop, some of the cops I know are VERY well informed about guns because they have a personal interest, like us, instead it always starts with the "I know a cop..."

Agreed. I've known 2 patrol officers and a Postal Investigator(required to carry) that knew little about the firearms they carried and just shot them when required to qualify periodically.

I wonder if the instructor was maybe having a bit of fun with the new guys. I sure hope that a couple of other instructors were standing over to the side watching and laughing when the trainees shot with their mouths open.

• Like 1

Agreed. I've known 2 patrol officers and a Postal Investigator(required to carry) that knew little about the firearms they carried and just shot them when required to qualify periodically.

Back in the day that described most LEO's. In the late 80's and early 90's most departments had their officers qualify once per year, and that's the only shooting the officers did all year long. Don't know how it is today.

I wonder if the instructor was maybe having a bit of fun with the new guys. I sure hope that a couple of other instructors were standing over to the side watching and laughing when the trainees shot with their mouths open.

Ya, it sounds like someone that's seen The Guns of Navarone.

That ain't too far off. 

Buddy of mine shot one with a 17 from about 50'. 

One of us had to go over & pick the thing up to carry it off.  It wasn't him.....  he was too busy yakking up lunch.

Back in the day that described most LEO's. In the late 80's and early 90's most departments had their officers qualify once per year, and that's the only shooting the officers did all year long. Don't know how it is today.

Yes, this was in the mid 80's. All lived in Franklin. Great guys, but minimal concern over the weapons they carried which could potentially save their or someone elses life.

Other people who are "gun experts."  I have an uncle that is a real A hole.  He was telling me something about his buddy that is a "gun expert" (like it's a professional title) telling him that a Taurus Judge was absolutely the best home defense weapon a person could buy.  He would listen to nothing that I said because I'm not a gun expert.  I have nothing against the Judges and similar weapons but it's not what I would grab for a bump in the night.  Just to poke the bear...  Ever shot a squirrel with a .410 and had to shoot it again?

I would hope that a LEO would be educated on gun laws, also firearms in general. Not just their duty weapons.

I don't have any desire to buy a Judge, to me it would be mainly a novelity, I would rather have something more usefull but nothing wrong with wanting one, I have a few guns that are not exactly practical for much anything but fun. Actually I would think that Rossi Circuit Judge carbine would make a better HD weapon but i'll stick with my 870 for now.

One thing that aggravates me and i've had to tell a couple of people not to do it is when they are looking at my UNLOADED revolver and they do the ol Lucca Brassi wrist flip to close the cylinder because they think it's cool, another Hollywood method of handling firearms. It's hard to imagine that damaging a revolver, I hope they are not that fragile but I still don't like it even though it's a Ruger and we all know you just can't break a Ruger.  :)

Not sure how I would have responded to that one...

I chuckled a bit then I realized he is the worst kind of gun owner, he wants everyone else to give up their guns. Over the years he has told me some pretty awful things. When he said HP's were designed to maim children he said he would NEVER order them. I later went in with a UPC for subsonic HP 22 ammunition and he said he would not order any. He also said no one should be allowed to own ARs and that military ammunition should not be sold because it is designed to KILL children. I have caught 5.56 ammunition being hidden and when confronted the worker said the manager told them to hide it. He routinely hides HP ammunition as well but I guess he puts it out when he has to hide "more dangerous" ammunition in its place. He said gun owners should only be allowed to own a bolt action rifle. He has also recommended the best pellet rifle for a customer to kill his neighbors dog. The customer was looking at airsoft guns to scare dogs off his property but the manager said he did not want to use the airsoft and showed him a pellet rifle he uses to kill coyotes. The manager said it would kill a dog just as good. I have spoke to management about him several times about all this and they do not care at all. I have even spoke to the regional manager and he blew it off as well.

It wasn't a bunch of trainees. Everybody from E-6's on down got the briefing about mouth open shooting.

This real life example is related to the idea of "racking a shotgun to scare an intruder".

An in-law was entering one of his low rent vacated rental properties. He thought he heard a sound that he suspected might be an intruder inside the property. He went back to his vehicle to retrieve a revolver. As he came through the front door he purposely cocked the revolvers' hammer "hoping it would be heard by any possible intruder"! Then he immediately accidentally touched off a round just inside the doorway!

He recently purchased a small Ruger .380. He is carrying it on his person daily but has yet to clean, lube, and has never test fired the pistol!!! ... When I have protested and preached about this folly he just shrugs it off. SOME FOLKS DO NOT HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE! This level of firearm ignorance combined with hard headedness is an lethal event waiting to happen.

I chuckled a bit then I realized he is the worst kind of gun owner, he wants everyone else to give up their guns. Over the years he has told me some pretty awful things. When he said HP's were designed to maim children he said he would NEVER order them. I later went in with a UPC for subsonic HP 22 ammunition and he said he would not order any. He also said no one should be allowed to own ARs and that military ammunition should not be sold because it is designed to KILL children. I have caught 5.56 ammunition being hidden and when confronted the worker said the manager told them to hide it. He routinely hides HP ammunition as well but I guess he puts it out when he has to hide "more dangerous" ammunition in its place. He said gun owners should only be allowed to own a bolt action rifle. He has also recommended the best pellet rifle for a customer to kill his neighbors dog. The customer was looking at airsoft guns to scare dogs off his property but the manager said he did not want to use the airsoft and showed him a pellet rifle he uses to kill coyotes. The manager said it would kill a dog just as good. I have spoke to management about him several times about all this and they do not care at all. I have even spoke to the regional manager and he blew it off as well.

Well, it's WalMart so I'm not surprised. Be it the mouth gaping mop jockey or the lack of management concern, all a bunch of crap. It's reasons like this I refuse to shop there anymore.

Hey monkey, is that a picture of mr. Tune in Nashville. It looks like him and he teachs to hold pistols at an angle to reduce front site shake. He also teaches that all polymer frame guns are junk. Needless to say I was not impressed with his class at all.