Ok small rant about gun myths

Spots

Hey monkey, is that a picture of mr. Tune in Nashville. It looks like him and he teachs to hold pistols at an angle to reduce front site shake. He also teaches that all polymer frame guns are junk. Needless to say I was not impressed with his class at all.

I'm not sure what hold he teaches now, but I have in fact practiced holding the pistol at a slight cant (45 degrees or less) when shooting one-handed. It is a bit stronger and helps with recovery. And at close range, accuracy is just as good.

I need to find out who this Mr Tune is... should be an interesting read.

Just Google him. My favorite nugget is from a Chattanooga Times Free Press article back in 2011 from when a Georgia PD trainee shot himself in the leg at an unrelated range. They had contacted Mr. Tune for some additional info on range safety. Don't know why they'd call someone in Nashville, but here it is: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/news/story/2011/oct/01/police-trainee-shoots-self-in-leg/60412/

Buford Tune, owner of the Academy of Personal Protection and Security in Nashville, said in 20 years of instructing he's only seen one injury on the range, but he acknowledged they happen. He is not connected with the firing range in Calhoun or the police training program.

"Accidents will happen with a gun, with a car or anything else," said Tune, who said he was once accidentally shot through the hand. "When it does happen you learn from your mistakes."

He conveniently left out that he was the one who put that bullet through his hand and (IIRC) it happened just a couple of weeks before this article....Doh!

Edited by monkeylizard

I chuckled a bit then I realized he is the worst kind of gun owner, he wants everyone else to give up their guns. Over the years he has told me some pretty awful things. When he said HP's were designed to maim children he said he would NEVER order them. I later went in with a UPC for subsonic HP 22 ammunition and he said he would not order any. He also said no one should be allowed to own ARs and that military ammunition should not be sold because it is designed to KILL children. I have caught 5.56 ammunition being hidden and when confronted the worker said the manager told them to hide it. He routinely hides HP ammunition as well but I guess he puts it out when he has to hide "more dangerous" ammunition in its place. He said gun owners should only be allowed to own a bolt action rifle. He has also recommended the best pellet rifle for a customer to kill his neighbors dog. The customer was looking at airsoft guns to scare dogs off his property but the manager said he did not want to use the airsoft and showed him a pellet rifle he uses to kill coyotes. The manager said it would kill a dog just as good. I have spoke to management about him several times about all this and they do not care at all. I have even spoke to the regional manager and he blew it off as well.

Somebody really needs to tell that clown to his face what an idiot he really is and has no qualification giving stupid opinions and advice about guns and ammo, more people should complain to the managment, inform them they will no longer shop there while he's working and tell all their friends about him and not to shop there. Sounds like he doesn't need to be in any kind of customer service position of any kind, no telling what he would tell people if he worked in hardware or auto etc. I've seen those kind of bozos, they really tic me off. If you tell managment he's giving advice about how to kill a neighbors dog and you promise you will publisize that as much as you can they may do something then.

Wy wife and I took his class in '98. He really is something.

Didn't know he lost some fingers. He shoot'em off?

Of course not, the Glock he was press checking did. Just further proves how dangerous Glock's or any polymer semi-auto is  ... if you ask him.;)

• Like 1

This real life example is related to the idea of "racking a shotgun to scare an intruder".

An in-law was entering one of his low rent vacated rental properties. He thought he heard a sound that he suspected might be an intruder inside the property. He went back to his vehicle to retrieve a revolver. As he came through the front door he purposely cocked the revolvers' hammer "hoping it would be heard by any possible intruder"! Then he immediately accidentally touched off a round just inside the doorway!

He recently purchased a small Ruger .380. He is carrying it on his person daily but has yet to clean, lube, and has never test fired the pistol!!! ... When I have protested and preached about this folly he just shrugs it off. SOME FOLKS DO NOT HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE! This level of firearm ignorance combined with hard headedness is an lethal event waiting to happen.

This is what gets me. I have known more than one person to carry a new gun right out of the box. I never add a new family member to the carry rotation without at least 200 rounds through it. I just purchased a Shield 9 and am at about 450 with it and it has fed everything I have given it. I even offered (more like demanded) to take the guys gun out and run at least a box through it to ensure it ran smooth and cleaned it for him. He let me and offered to pay for the ammo but I declined. I think it was a Taurus "Millinium"

This is what gets me. I have known more than one person to carry a new gun right out of the box. I never add a new family member to the carry rotation without at least 200 rounds through it. I just purchased a Shield 9 and am at about 450 with it and it has fed everything I have given it. I even offered (more like demanded) to take the guys gun out and run at least a box through it to ensure it ran smooth and cleaned it for him. He let me and offered to pay for the ammo but I declined. I think it was a Taurus "Millinium"

I wouldn't carry any gun without getting very comfortable on the range with it first and knowing the gun.  Especially something really small like a .380.  I swore that I'd never own a Taurus but I relented and bought a TCP and love it.  That said mine did not function well out of the box, it took a lot of polishing and tweaking to get it to run right.  When I got it it was for all practical purposes a single shot, if you got anything else out of it you were just lucky.  Carry a single shot .380?  No thanks.

• Like 2

Of course not, the Glock he was press checking did. Just further proves how dangerous Glock's or any polymer semi-auto is  ... if you ask him. ;)

Alot of things wrong with that. How did he get his fingers in front of the muzzle press checking it? Also, how did the TRIGGER GET PULLED press checking a Glock? Sounds like his method of press checking is alot more dangerous than that ol polymer Glock.

Aaahhhh,, good old Buford. He was the instructor way back in the 90's when I worked in security. I have to chuckle everytime I see or hear about him. We got to hear the speach about the polymer guns and the one about how he would not let anyone in his classes qualify with an H&K because there is now way anyone  could fully understand how to use their trigger. lol I am sitting here laughing thinking about it.