OK, tell me about firing Kahr CM or PM9

graycrait

Looking at an earlier thread got me to looking at the specs of the CM and PM 9.  That and some fella even mentioned trading me a PM9 for one of my pistols.  I was wondering how they handled in fast self defense shooting.  I don't see them as all afternoon fun range toys.

I owned a CW9 when they first came out and I must have been underwhelmed because I do not still have it.  However, in lieu of waiting for Glock to come out with a smallish single stack 9mm, which may never happen, I was wondering about these little Kahr 9mms. At 14oz they must be handful to shoot especially fast one handed.  I used to own LC9s with Galloway trigger guts, Diamondback DB9 and Keltec PF9s.  The Diamondback and PF9 were hard to hold shooting fast one handed weak hand.  With a better recoil spring and the Galloway guts the LC9 worked well but someone needed mine worse than I did so traded it.  

Can a fella get quick decent follow up shots with the little Kahr using a one handed grip or does muzzle flip significantly slow followups? 

As KahrMan said, 2-handed is no problem, but I'm not as fast with accurate follow-up shots one-handed with my PM9 as I am with a larger gun like a G19, which itself is a little slower for me than the heavier Beretta M9. The muzzle climb does come in to play a little more with these smaller guns, but it's managebale with practice.

Edited by monkeylizard

I can do a Keltec 32 well one-handed weak hand and a G19 too, but the little 9's I have had previously were hard to handle one-handed left-hand.  I have this suspicion and have received formal training that if I need a "hideout" gun to save my bacon then other things have likely gone wrong too, so although I can use a two-handed strong hand grip in a modified weaver stance passably well I'm not counting on it.  I'm figuring left handed one handed from the fetal position might be likely.

Recoil of the little Kahr is surprisingly low even with +p defensive stuff. Mine also has a very long throat and will run 147grn stuff just as smooth as anything else. Easy answer is can YOU shoot one handed with it? I say yes, with practice.
  • Like 1

My question is what's your distance on a one handed self defense shot. 3 yards maybe?

I can hit center of mas one handed with no problem at 3 yards with my PM 40

But the OP's question is how far off the mark you are for a 2nd shot. I honestly don't think it's much different with my PM9 than it is with a G26, but it's noticeably more than with the brick that is the Beretta M9. I think it's manageable with some practice. I need to do more off-handed shooting with it. I'm just so uncoordinated with my off hand that it's not much fun to do it, so I don't. I know that's a bad reason, but it is what it is.

I used to have

a pm40. the trigger was odd,( being used to glocks) very long very smooth butt verry light. i traded it off because i just didnt feel comfortable carrying it chambered.

maybe i was just too used to glocks.

It was without a doubt the most accurate pocket pistol ive ever shot, way more than my G27

Sorry i know you were asking about the 9s

As far as double taps, mine was the 40 so probably a little more snap but not any more muzzle rise than a glock

Decent enough ergonomics, nice sights and a pretty good trigger....overall feels and handles better than a PF9 or LC9 and looks way better than a Shield. Overall though I rate the XDs9 a bit better which kind of surprises me due to the K guns slightly better profile. Bottom line, if you want one get it, you'll always be able to trade or sell it later.

Recoil of the little Kahr is surprisingly low even with +p defensive stuff. Mine also has a very long throat and will run 147grn stuff just as smooth as anything else. Easy answer is can YOU shoot one handed with it? I say yes, with practice.

I can say my Ruger LCP in .380 was much harder to get back on target than the PM9.

Yep, agree.  It's sort of voodoo how little recoil and muzzle flip my PM9 has for such a small heater.

I too find the LCP to have a much more pronounced bite than the Kahr. Have also shot the Kel-Tech 3AT and both the KT 9mm models, and the Kahr is significantly tamer than any of those three.

I'd say it feels very much the same as shooting the Shield, but of course smaller.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest livefreeordie1

Kahrs patent on the offset feed ramp allows them to lower the bore axis enough that you can feel the difference.  I've been very pleased with my CM and CT9, 100% reliable.  90% of what they eat are my handloads, for what that's worth.

Guest DrNick1986

My experience does not exactly fit as I was carrying/firing the CM40 as opposed to a 9. 

The 40 definitely had some kick to it - enough to make it undesirable for a full day range gun - but not enough to make the gun undesirable to carry or shoot. 

Double taps (or triple or more) with a two handed, standard grip were fairly easy and accurate. I did do some one handed drill on occasion (when I was at a range that was more open to running drills) and certainly the accuracy/grouping dipped from the 2 handed grip but shots were still on target and even were still in what I would call 'critical zones'. 

I bet it would be even easier/better with the less kicking 9. 

I have never shot a pm9/cm9, but I have read tons of great things about them over the years; people really like them. I was extremely disappointed in a CW45 and then again in a CW380. Some of the stuff I couldn't see being any different on a cm9 like the sharp corners and overall cheap feel.

No small frame gun is going to be as easy to shoot as a full size 'range' gun. I have a CM9 and it is fine for SD. But my EDC choice is a M&P shield. Very fast point and shoot gun, and very reliable.

I see that you own and carry a shield. I would argue that my Shield comes pretty damn close to behaving like a full size gun. I went through some shoot houses and stress courses as law enforcement that I would not hesitat to go through with a Shield expecting to receive the same score.

I have a PM9 and a CM40.  I had a Shield 9 in the past.  I put a Hogue slip on sleeve on mine and MUCH prefer them over the Shield.  I have also had a Shield 40 in the past.  I reworked the sear in my Shield 9 but it still wasn't the equal of my Kahrs.

I have never shot a pm9/cm9, but I have read tons of great things about them over the years; people really like them. I was extremely disappointed in a CW45 and then again in a CW380. Some of the stuff I couldn't see being any different on a cm9 like the sharp corners and overall cheap feel.

I see that you own and carry a shield. I would argue that my Shield comes pretty damn close to behaving like a full size gun. I went through some shoot houses and stress courses as law enforcement that I would not hesitat to go through with a Shield expecting to receive the same score.

Not sure what your other issues with them were but the PM models have a much better finish and are more rounded than the cheaper CW models. The PM models also have better engraving on the slide, a better barrel, better sights, etc. The CW models were made to be competitive in the pricing market but for true Kahr quality, step up to the PM models and see what Kahr really is, a big difference IMO.

I have owned a P380 and a PM40 and loved both and highly regret selling the 380. I truly do plan to get a PM9 soon, hopefully the one in the classifieds if I can get the money together.

You may want to consider the MK9 instead. Obviously a little more weight, but it handles the recoil much better. I really like mine, but haven't practiced using one hand either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MK9 owner here, if you don't mind the extra weight, it's a dream to shoot and carry. I like the Kahr trigger, very smooth.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine handles better after adding the Pearce mag extensions. The grip is very narrow, .9 in IIRC hence you get some twist/torque. I have had mine for years.

It's about the smallest 9mm I would want to carry although for me it's too heavy for the pocket. I just picked up an IWB holster that accommodates the Crimson Trace laser.

P5030003.jpg

P6280005.jpg

image.jpg1_zps65bjvata.jpg

Edited by DAdams

I recently bought a CW9 and like it much more than the KT PF09.

I shot the department qual with it and did not drop any points.

The qual is strong and support hand firing with single and standard grip. 

I have to bury my trigger finger 2 the second joint to get a straight back press.  

recoil is not unpleseant even during rapid firing.

Another MK9 owner here. As stated above its a little heavier (not great for pocket carry) but it shoots great, to include one handed. It has functioned 100% so far with a round count of about 1,300. About 250 of that was misc defense loads. I just recently shot some 147grn "NATO" through it and probably will never buy them again. Even with the weight of the MK9 they rocked my world a bit more than I would want in any situation.