Small tractor options

Ugly

In the market for a small tractor. I need a low center of gravity due to steep property, a bucket and probably a back hoe and probably a  box blade.

I'll be using it for general yard stuff, keeping the drive smooth and the occasional footer dig.

I know Kubota has a good product, how about Mahindra, John Deer or ?

Also will the hydro trans be susceptible to slipping like a zero turn mower can? Should i get a direct drive?

I'm also looking for durability, ownership by the company of their product and I appreciate any and all advice!

Having spent 25 years as an equiptment mechanic, I've worked on many different tractors. For your needs I'd recommend New Holland with Kubota a very close second. The only reason I give New Holland the edge is because they're generally easier to work on and parts are easier to get. You might also consider Case. 

For me one deciding factors would be the quality and location of the nearest dealer. Can they get me the parts I need when I need them? Are they easy to deal with or a bunch of jerks who don't care? You'd be surprised how much these things matter. 

BTW: Deere would be at the bottom of my list. They ain't nowhere near what they once were. 

• Like 1

When you say a small tractor, how small are we talking about? 

New Holland's small tractors are built by a Chinese company called LS. Exact same machine, right down to the paint. Not saying they're bad, but the ones with NH stickers cost a whole lot more than the ones with LS stickers. 

Kubota and Deer are the two biggest names in small lawn/ garden tractors right now. Price and quality will be pretty close between the two, in my opinion Deere has a few more creature comforts and adaptability. If you want a backhoe on a Kubota, it must be ordered that way from the factory, while it can be added later on the Deere. JD's 1 series have really been a big hit with the drive over, auto connect mower decks and the fact that you can have the back hoe on or off in about 5 minutes. 

Personally I would avoid Mahindra and Kioti. Parts support is poor at best. 

Like Grayfox, I've made a career out of working on equipment. If I were shopping for a small tractor right now, Deere and Kubota would be at the top of my list mechanically, but the dealership makes all the difference in the world. You may never need them to work on it, but eventually you'll need parts. If you're shopping for brand new, find out if the warranty covers transport to and from their shop or on-site calls. Deere's corporate warranty does not, but some dealers will provide free warranty transportation for their customers. 

the size of a tractor that you need is the hardest thing to do.  when you think you have the right size i would then go up one or two more sizes for the right size.  there is no "too big of tractor" for work around your place.  i got three tractors on the farm.  big one, ford 4910 that i use for the hay baler and hay cutter.  next to big one is a ford 3910 for most of the general heavy work around the place, it has a front end loader.  then the small one, a 20 hp 4x4 yanmar that gets more time than the other two.  all my tractors are gear driven, not hydro.  i like the ford tractors that were made in the 1980 to 1990. these were the last of the true ford tractors.  after this they were new holland/ford.   they to me seem to be the best heavy duty tractor going.  parts are easy to get.  easy to work on yourself.  strong and are easy of fuel.  you will see that you will pay more for the big name tractors.  i would look at used one first before you leap to a new one.  one of the best deals going is a yanmar.  several good dealers around, alabama has one.  but do your home work before buying one.  yanmar was the tractor builder for john deer for over 20 plus years.  they did the whole tractor for john deer.  they took their red yanmar tractor and paint it green for john deer.  even today yanmar stills builds the engine for john deer.  well they did until several years ago.  good luck on finding the right size/brand of tractor.  

I own a Kubota and I can recommend the brand. Yanmar is tough too and usually a little better on the price. The BX series Kubota would have a low center of gravity and plenty of power. And a big plus for Kubota is that there is a forum, Orange Tractor Talk, where you can go to get good info on the brand.

This won't help for your specific questions, but we have a 42 horsepower Kubota and has been fantastic.  The compact size is great for maneuverability, but nothing happens real quickly with it at least on our property.  Its working for our needs, and can continue to, but at some point we will get a larger tractor to pull larger implements.  We have 425 acres and it does perfectly for our .25-4.5 acre fields.  We have a 30 acre field as well and right now just have it leased out to a farmer.  We won't touch it w/ our 42 horsepower since we don't live out there and have all day.

I would like to further reiterate what grayfox said above....having the dealer/repair center nearby and the quality of their customer service really does matter.  

Thanks for the input folks! All good stuff!
I too am a mechanic and nothing irritates me more than a company not standing by their machine or carrying parts.

The main reason I am thinking of staying small is because of the steep property.

I would like an L (kubota) size tractor but think I'd get better climbing capability with a bx size.

I'm a fan of used because of the price and will see who else besides Kubota is close by
In my life I have spent a lot of time driving and using tractors owned by other people. As far as stuff made sense 1990 and on, Kubotas have always impressed me. My family owned a Bobcat and I thought it was a great machine; it gave us very little trouble. The New Holland and Case stuff was nowhere near te machines as my Bobcat I don't know anything about Bobcat tractors though. We had a family friend that sold Yanmar tractors and spoke well of them. I just can't recommend a Deere after using a few of them.

Also will the hydro trans be susceptible to slipping like a zero turn mower can? Should i get a direct drive?

The JD zero turns have independent belt driven hydrostats. The subcompact(1025r or 1026r) and compact(2000 and 3000 series) are shaft driven.

The JD zero turns have independent belt driven hydrostats. The subcompact(1025r or 1026r) and compact(2000 and 3000 series) are shaft driven.

I've got an Exmark zero turn and have had one of the hyd pumps slip while on a steep slope. It was not very enjoyable to lose control. The weight of a tractor would make the situation worse. Edited by Still Ugly

The L series is nice but I know I'll push the limit with the incline, I think a B series will still meet the needs. I won't need it for bush hogging but maybe a finish mower to get the spots the zero turn can't make it.