Anyone know anything about North Georgia North of Atlanta?

Ladyhay

We are considering, heavily, a move from West TN to North of Atlanta- Cumming/Gainsville areas.

We have two small children and are moving for 1) schools 2) childcare 3) hospitals (I am a nurse) 4) bass fishing (Lanier). Not gonna say that's in order :) ha!

Anyone know anything about the area/general feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I edited the title TNtiger thank you!! Edited by Ladyhay
I have a couple friends that lived in Buford. She was an Assistand DA in the county there and didn't have to travel into town for work. He on the other hand had to go inside the 285 for work and ended up working 6-3 to avoid the awful traffic.

The area is nice and growing. Gainesville is pretty much a suburb now of Atlanta.

If it makes since for your family I would consider it, if I wasn't required to drive into downtown Atlanta on a daily basis

I have a couple friends that lived in Buford. She was an Assistand DA in the county there and didn't have to travel into town for work. He on the other hand had to go inside the 285 for work and ended up working 6-3 to avoid the awful traffic.

The area is nice and growing. Gainesville is pretty much a suburb now of Atlanta.

If it makes since for your family I would consider it, if I wasn't required to drive into downtown Atlanta on a daily basis

No- that is pretty much a requirement- that we do not have to drive into Atlanta...nearly ever.

I lived in Buford for 4 years and my mom still lives there. I would first make sure that you live close to work. If you move to Gainsville make sure your job is north of Buford. I will not move back only because of the traffic. We lived in Buford and my wifes job was in Johns creek 15 miles away. It NEVER took less than an hour to get to or from work. On most days it was a 2 hour trip. So every day she left 2 hours early and just killed time doing other things if she was lucky enough to make it under 2hours. I was fortunate that we live within 5miles of work and it only took me 30 mins to get to work. We now have kids and I cant imagine spending all that time in a car away from the kids. The housing almost drew us back but my mom advised us against it. She told us that the traffic has gotten worse in the northern area. We were going to move to Auburn, we found a 6 bedroom 5000sq/ft house for under 200k, it would have been great for this family of 6. We looked at our commute to potential jobs and it was just to much of a commute.

As a side not- we went to braves games a lot and it was a 9-10hr event 5 hours was spent in a car. we spent more time in a car than at the game, but we were newly married with no kids and did not mind sitting in a car that long.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 1

I've been through that area a few times recently.  I'm astonished by how much it's grown... it is just an Atlanta suburb now.  But as others have stated, I'd never survive in that traffic. 

I lived in both Cumming and Gainesville. My father in law still lives off of Cleveland HWY on Lake Lanier by the Georgia Highway Patrol Station. What do you need to know?

FYI, the closer you are to Gainesville the more Mexican it becomes...just throwing that out there. They are developing a huge hispanic population.

I'll actually be in GA this weekend for a birthday dinner at Papadeaux's in Alpharetta but I'm staying in Gainesville.

Edited by tennesseetiger
  • Like 1
Oh wow, the time in the car. One reason we want to move. I drive 2 hrs to work and 55 minutes to take the children to preschool.

TN Tiger, do you happen to know anything about the nurse practitioner market up there? I am applying to schools now. Ideally I would like hospital work.
So I need to 1) live on or near the lake 2) live within a reasonable commute to both a hospital and 3) an awesome school for my children. Any ideas?

It is imperative to me to think of this without my husbands help. Ha! Sounds soooo bad. I don't mean it that way- honestly. But he travels and is not available for large portions at a time. So I ideally I need everything close-ish. Schools, work, home...has to be near the water. We are river rats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Ladyhay

Atlanta native here.  Don't do it.  That place is unsustainable. 

This.  That place is going to dry up without our water and they ain't getting it.

I've been to Atlanta enough to know I'll never plan on getting anywhere close to it again.

Edited by Garufa
  • Admin Team

This.  That place is going to dry up without our water and they ain't getting it.

Garufa's right about the water, and that's probably worth mentioning since you stated an interest in Lanier. 

I've got a boat in my driveway right now that used to be on Lanier.  Lanier is the main water source for Atlanta, and they're consuming at an massive rate. My dad got tired of not being able to put the boat into the water without backing off the ramp and going another 60 feet into the mud.  Atlanta's consumption of water isn't going down, and there's going to come a day pretty soon when Lanier just isn't accessible the casual boater without some new ramps/infrastructure.

Add to it the safety factor of having so many people on the lake on any given weekend, and you can keep Lanier.

Oh wow, the time in the car. One reason we want to move. I drive 2 hrs to work and 55 minutes to take the children to preschool.

TN Tiger, do you happen to know anything about the nurse practitioner market up there? I am applying to schools now. Ideally I would like hospital work.
So I need to 1) live on or near the lake 2) live within a reasonable commute to both a hospital and 3) an awesome school for my children. Any ideas?

It is imperative to me to think of this without my husbands help. Ha! Sounds soooo bad. I don't mean it that way- honestly. But he travels and is not available for large portions at a time. So I ideally I need everything close-ish. Schools, work, home...has to be near the water. We are river rats.

One of my wife's best friends works at Northeast Medical Center in Gainesville as a nurse and she graduated from Brenau University which is also in Gainesville.

That hospital is one of the best in GA so I would start there when it comes to a job...North Hall County has the best schools in that area unless you want to live further south and dive into Gwinnett County which I wouldn't recommend because its bursting at the seems with people right now. I actually graduated High School in Gwinnett County, but I wouldnt recommend moving there unless you like traffic lol

Sounds like you guys need to start looking at neighborhoods off of HWY 129 "Cleveland HWY" and Browns Bridge Road in Gainesville. That will put you on or around the lake very easily. That whole area is surrounded by water...I think I fished that lake probably 20-25 times last year. I still spend a lot of time in that neck of the woods because of my mother and father in law.

Edited by tennesseetiger

We are considering, heavily, a move from West TN to North of Atlanta- Cumming/Gainsville areas.

We have two small children and are moving for 1) schools 2) childcare 3) hospitals (I am a nurse) 4) bass fishing (Lanier). Not gonna say that's in order :) ha!

Anyone know anything about the area/general feedback?

I lived there in the mid 90s. 

You can't really divide it ... Atlanta is Atlanta and its one giant thing. 

The negatives:

- there is a LOT of violent crime there.  We had a place at ga-tech to mark each shooting... it was in the 50s most quarters (what we could hear in our dorm rooms only).  

- Traffic, period

- expensive housing

- income taxes -- rather steep, with city and state both....

- traffic

the pros..

ga school system is considered good, so long as you are not in the ghetto anyway

grady is possibly the best gunshot hospital in the south, and probably top ten east coast.  That being about all they treat... nonstop..   If you are interested in this specific bit of nursing, it might be interesting.  It has other good hospitals as well, but I don't recall much, I rarely get sick.

childcare --- no idea, but I am sure you can get it if you have the funds... its assured that a large city has this in many forms.

stuff to do --- tons.  You won't lack for somewhere to go on the weekend if you like to go out.

probably higher salary, but the cost of living and taxes, I can't tell you if moving is an actual quality of life upgrade or not, but be wary of the high expenses there.

public services, including transportation, subway and busses and such, more -- standard city services, etc.

all in all, what more to say... its a gigantic city with all the good and bad stuff that goes with a gigantic city...

I lived there in the mid 90s. 

You can't really divide it ... Atlanta is Atlanta and its one giant thing. 

The negatives:

- there is a LOT of violent crime there.  We had a place at ga-tech to mark each shooting... it was in the 50s most quarters (what we could hear in our dorm rooms only).  

- Traffic, period

- expensive housing

- income taxes -- rather steep, with city and state both....

- traffic

the pros..

ga school system is considered good, so long as you are not in the ghetto anyway

grady is possibly the best gunshot hospital in the south, and probably top ten east coast.  That being about all they treat... nonstop..   If you are interested in this specific bit of nursing, it might be interesting.  It has other good hospitals as well, but I don't recall much, I rarely get sick.

childcare --- no idea, but I am sure you can get it if you have the funds... its assured that a large city has this in many forms.

stuff to do --- tons.  You won't lack for somewhere to go on the weekend if you like to go out.

probably higher salary, but the cost of living and taxes, I can't tell you if moving is an actual quality of life upgrade or not, but be wary of the high expenses there.

public services, including transportation, subway and busses and such, more -- standard city services, etc.

all in all, what more to say... its a gigantic city with all the good and bad stuff that goes with a gigantic city...

That really only applies to downtown Atlanta and stuff inside of the Perimeter...the area that she's looking at are far enough North that it doesnt really apply. She'll literally be closer to the North Carolina Smokey Mountains than Atlanta more than likely...

Her thread should be called "North GA" instead of North Atlanta based on where she's looking lol she'll be 50 miles from the NC border...

Edited by tennesseetiger

That really only applies to downtown Atlanta and stuff inside of the Perimeter...the area that she's looking at are far enough North that it doesnt really apply. She'll literally be closer to the North Carolina Smokey Mountains than Atlanta more than likely...

Her thread should be called "North GA" instead of North Atlanta based on where she's looking lol she'll be 50 miles from the NC border...

Oh.  If you are out of the city, really out of it, its completely different for all of that except the state income tax.  But the suburbs are still expensive, as everyone in the state had the same idea (move outside, work inside) and those areas are hot demand, etc.   Some aggravating distance from the city (too far to drive to work) it becomes pretty much like TN in most respects.  The smokeys/NC boarder is very pretty, but theres no interstate over there.... or at least the part I am thinking of (?).   Can be awkward to go *anywhere*.

Edited by Jonnin

Oh.  If you are out of the city, really out of it, its completely different for all of that except the state income tax.  But the suburbs are still expensive, as everyone in the state had the same idea (move outside, work inside) and those areas are hot demand, etc.   Some aggravating distance from the city (too far to drive to work) it becomes pretty much like TN in most respects.  The smokeys/NC boarder is very pretty, but theres no interstate over there.... or at least the part I am thinking of (?).   Can be awkward to go *anywhere*.

Funny you mention the awkward part because the officials in that area have been talking about building a loop to connect I-75, GA 400, and I-985 for a LONG time but it'll never happen...too many farms and rural areas dont want it and I dont blame them. Everytime they build a new loop or new interstate Atlanta spreads towards it and thats not something anybody wants to happen.

TO EACH HIS OWN......but I was born in TN and have lived in GA 2 times. Last time was for 10 years. I hated the state income taxes (they still owe me over $1200 from 11 years ago and I had a check processed by the state of GA as proof it was paid and I never got the money back), the price for car tags and boat trailer tags, lawn mower trailer tags, gas is always higher than TN as well as all of my insurance. Moving back to TN was like a $15 an hour raise...LOL

A herd of Clydesdale horses couldn't drag me back to GA.

• Like 2

if you are looking for north georgia i would look at rome ga.  great area, lots of medical worker are need there.  several large lakes close by to fish.  cheap housing and good schools.  lots of good people too.  i go to the atlanta metro area several times a week.  i would not more there for ten times the pay.  school are bad, traffic is worst, mexicans have taken over most of the area along with other trash. look at the local atlanta metro area governments to see what you are facing.  watch the local atlanta news to see the crap.  this is even in the area that are outside of the belt way (285).    you need to look at the areas that are close to tn and n car areas.   ga has a state tax too.  if you are looking for a great town in tn take a look at chattanooga.  we are not that much out of control as compared to other major tennesse cities.