critique my crimp

I am new to reloading and wanted to know how this crimp looks to those who know better than myself. These are .38 special, 125 grain Berry's bullets with 5 grains of Unique powder. They were done with a Lee crimp die on a Lyman Crusher press. (Thanks Greg_Mid_TN!)

IMG_20150112_110936263.jpg

IMG_20150112_110919730.jpg

I don't believe the plated Berry's bullets have a crimping groove. I wonder if you didn't cut into the plating. That couldn't be good. Your crimp looks right for a jacketed bullet with a cannelure. With the plated bullets, I'd only crimp enough to remove the bell you created for loading the bullet.

• Like 1

i have reloaded those, but only as bunny fart loads for my 642.. When I did, I seldom bothered to crimp at all. I would take the completed cartridge and put the bullet face down on a hard surface and try to push it in further. If the bullet did not move back, then I felt I had all the crimp I needed. If you're shooting hot loads and want to avoid set back, you might want more of a crimp than I used. my $.02. 

Edited by MphsTiger1981

Hey Terry!

That's a little aggressive for a straight wall case and a bullet with no cannelure. Most of the time I use a slight crimp so that I can still see the outer edge of the end of the case. Should be more than enough for all but the hottest .357 loads.

G.

Probably way over crimped.  Very little crimp is actually needed unless it's a stout recoiling gun.  

Unless of course you're running some really slow powder and then it can aid ignition but most 38/357 run fine on Bullseye or something about as fast and do not need a super strong crimp.

As with any reloading YMMV 

I'd say it's way to tight. I use Lee factory crimp dies when I use a crimp generally but most of the times that I've used a seating/crimp die to get the crimp I set it to take the bell out of the case and just a touch more which is generally more than enough. Good to have you on board!

See the large groove you've squeezed into the bullet? I can't imagine that would do anything for accuracy. I'd also be concerned about the plating separating. Think what if the back half of the plating comes off tha bullet and gets lodged in the barrel. What'll happen on the next shot?

If you want a good, firm crimp, get bullets with a crimp groove or cannelure.

You might want to look at one of your JHP's and note there is not a huge cut where you crimped it.

Try backing out the crimp die until it holds the bullet and you cannot pull it out using your fingers.

Then give the die a 1/4 turn in and lock it there.  

If you want to confirm that's good then just pull the bullet and you will see it holds without cutting into the jacket. 

Do you have a hammer puller or collet bullet puller? If not please buy one!
I do not see berry's showing a crimp groove on their web site so I will agree with others. Back off the crimp. a very light indentation you can feel with fingernail is more than enough crimp for those loads.

Look through a few of my old posts in reloading forum and see if the links still work for some helpful info. Edited by ohell

Thanks for the reply's. I was afraid they might be slightly overcrimped, the bullets don't have a groove. I will back off the die a little next time. These will be shot in a .357 magnum.

Hi, It is more than a slight overcrimp.They are extremely overcrimped I have the Berrys in 158 gr ,357 shooting through a 686 S&w cal and went through the same growing  pains as you.

You only need to crimp to hold the bullet from falling out of the case(from recoil).

First i only bell the the case just enough to start the bullet and when i seat the bullet the pressure is enough not to crimp(i know people that do not crimp) and if they fit through a case gage or you can use you barrel as a substitute they are ready

Like stated above if you can take the dummy cartridge and push it against the loading table and the bullet does not move you have enough crimp.

Secondly i do crimp and when i set up the seating height i only add a 1/8 - 14 turn for the crimp at most (I have Hornady dies and they do seating and crimping at the same station)

They Lee factory crimp dies should be a piece of cake.When you crimp try crimping dummy bullets at 1/8 turn 1/4 turn 1/2 turn until you go 360 degrees as examples and you can see the progress of the operation.Use the one that does not move and fits your barrel

I load on Redding big boss and their T-7 press 

Good luck

Edited by wolverine

Do you use the taper crimp die on your bullets with a cannelure too?

No ,I do not, just use the hornady roll crimp for cannelures, but that is just me..Taper crimps are actually made for auto pistols or bullets like Berrys without cannalure.

You will eventually develop a style that you will like over other crimping styles and this comes with time. Cannelure bullets are somtimes difficult when the cases are not all

trimmed to a specific length.

Sorry about the link. I am a member there as well. I joined just too see the pix

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-469815.html

Edited by wolverine
  • 2 weeks later...