revolver V/S semiauto

john455

Ok, here's my thing. I am now and have always been a revolver man, but somehow I have managed to raise a son that is a total semi auto fan. His main argument with me is the amount of ammo a semi can carry v/s the revolver, and I say if I can't get the job done with 6 shots from my 357 mag I need to give up! So as my first post on here I figured I would bring it to you all and ask you to post your opinion on REVOLVER v/s semi auto!!! BTW I own a S&W 38 and a Rossi 357 mag, and yes I did break down and buy an Canik 55 C100 9mm but only because I caught it at a going out of business sale at a local small gun store and got it for the unbelievable price of $110.00 new in the box. My son Stephen owns a S&W M&P 40, and a Ruger 9mm.

I like the confidencee that I have in the reliability of a revolver. I like the extra ammo capacity and lower felt recoil of an autoloader. I have two semi autos for every revolver that i own. Still my bedside gun is a .357 Ruger GP100 and my carry gun is an S&W .38 Special Model 38. I shoot mainly 1911's and Glocks, but still if my life ever depended on it working, I would feel better with a revolver.

I believe at one point and time revolvers were superior due to their reliability just the same as telegraphs were the best communication because there wasn't many other options. With the vast number of reliable semi autos made today, I believe that point is moot. I don't like revolvers for self defense because it's almost physically impossible to reload under stress. But many would say that's a moot point as well. I also carry a semi auto for capacity. There won't always only be one attacker

Carry what you shoot well and practice with it often. I'll carry a semi auto Edited by KKing
  • Like 1
I'll answer this way. If you can shoot a revolver better, don't have problems loading, unloading, cleaning, getting ammo, etc.then a revolver is right for you. If cannot load magazines, take the gun apart for cleaning, can't shoot it, have problems clearing ftf, etc, because of hand problems again a revolvers are right for you. If you are married and your wife cannot handle a semiauto again a revolver is right for you.

If none of the above is true get a semiauto.

I can shoot either, but I learned to shoot revolvers and my wife shoots and can handle revolvers better than semiauto so we only now have revolvers.

Also, both types will do the job when and if needed.

Yeah I guess it just comes down to personal preference I was taught how to shoot and gun safety from my dad with a .22 8 shot revolver so I guess that's why I lean so heavily toward them, don't get me wrong I like the 9mm just fine but it just doesn't have the same "old friend" feeling that my revolvers have. After reading the posts here I think I will still carry the 357 as my main weapon but also strap on the 9 or maybe a good .380 for a backup for my lead volume.

Revolvers vs. Pistol discussions aren’t uncommon and in the end it comes down to personal choice and preferences. I do believe it is easier to transition from a revolver to a pistol than the reverse. Additionally I firmly believe it is prudent to be fully competent with both weapons platforms as necessity may unexpectedly come into play.

I’ve carried revolvers and pistols on and off duty and actually have a higher trust level with a good DA/SA .357 fixed sight revolver. But I’m also very comfortable with a Glock or similar type striker fired pistol.  For as much as I love the 1911A1 personal experience colors my trust level towards it. So in the end it comes back to what you want.

I carry both from time to time... This concern wuz settled long ago by a guy named Jeff Cooper, who in his younger years, travelled the countryside with a couple of buddies putting on shooting exhibitions out west... Cooper; a combat veteran and the founder of the great shooting school Gunsite; used the legendary 1911, another guy a revolver, the third a single action army colt...

As to speed to the first shot, the results were a tie... There was never a clear winner for the first shot... The 1911 won the reload contest all the time....

The moral of this little story; if you are a finished gunman and know your weapon; they are all fast until the first reload... Remember this, the best reload is a second gun...

Hope this helps a bit...

leroy

I believe at one point and time revolvers were superior due to their reliability just the same as telegraphs were the best communication because there wasn't many other options. With the vast number of reliable semi autos made today, I believe that point is moot.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.   I like & have several of both, but usually carry a semi auto.

I love revolvers. Owned a bunch (S&W only) before I flipped over to semi in the late 70's. Still own a couple of J frames. They just never get carried unless I have a wild hair. I don't believe the difference in reliability is significant between them and any of my autos. When you eliminate that, then the autos just have it for me.

I will tell you though, if a semiauto is going to fail you it will be in a high stress, poor grip situation.  The saying common with cops during the revolver to semiauto transition time was that "a revolver is six shots for sure." I carry a revolver because I trust them to work more reliably in adverse conditions, in a jacket pocket, or while jammed into an assailant.  

I have not carried a full size auto or even a compact auto for some time now.  I went back to a Shield for various reasons, but I have recently went just straight j or k frame. I can just draw them and engage a target faster than with the Shield. This is mainly because I pocket carry so frequently. I feel that I can do an emergency reload pretty quickly, I practice very frequently, but I don't really feel that it is that crucial. I have actually had some very formal revolver training; I went through the only police academy around that made everyone shoot a revolver after qualifying with an auto.

I have a uncle that prefers a mule and plow over a tractor, but that is not for me.  I have another family member that prefers not to embrace the internet, but that is not for me.  I prefer the radio over the TV, but I know that I am in the extreme minority.  I still like land line phones over the cell phone. 

Technology shifts, some people embrace, why others like or cling to older proven technologies.  Glad we can choose.

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/omish_zpsa4756bd0.jpg.html]omish_zpsa4756bd0.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

Some semi-autos give you a second strike opportunity, but on the same cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a semi fails to ignite a round on the first try, then tap-rank-ready. You have a very slim chance it will go on the second try.

If you run anything besides a glock .45 you have no chance of surviving the zombie apocalypse.

I mean do you revolver guys even operate?

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Just joking

Have you not seen Walking Dead???? Ninja sword all the way baby!!!!!!

• Like 1

My 2 cents worth of carefully considered opinion.

I agree with all said before me in every posting. lol

Seriously, I was taught to shoot with a K frame S&W 38. That's all I shot for several years. Mainly because Dad wouldn't let me touch his competition semi-autos.

Later, I found myself drawn to semi's for a few years.

Then...I found a K22 Smith on my own. Not only was it beautiful, but I got to shoot it before actually buying it. I was hooked.

Ok, short version. I love both. I own both. I take both with me on a range trip.

I believe I shoot a little better with a da pull on a revolver. But I think that's true for about all of us.

• Like 2