revolver V/S semiauto

john455

The ONLY gun that's acceptable to carry is the one can handle safely and ACCURATELY place shot after shot.

I have a couple of revolvers. They're toys. Nothing more. I have as good a chance at hitting something if I just throw the things. I can't hit squat with a wheel gun. You? Well, you might be right the opposite.

The ONLY gun that's acceptable to carry is the one can handle safely and ACCURATELY place shot after shot.

I have a couple of revolvers. They're toys. Nothing more. I have as good a chance at hitting something if I just throw the things. I can't hit squat with a wheel gun. You? Well, you might be right the opposite.

I shoot both types accurately if cornered I would have to say more so with my Rossi .357 mainly because it's my carry weapon so I pump a lot more rounds thru it than the rest at the practice range. The revolvers just feel more comfortable to me, and my son says just the opposite, he grew up shooting my revolvers but when he started buying is own guns he was Semi auto all the way.

I shoot both types accurately if cornered I would have to say more so with my Rossi .357 mainly because it's my carry weapon so I pump a lot more rounds thru it than the rest at the practice range. The revolvers just feel more comfortable to me, and my son says just the opposite, he grew up shooting my revolvers but when he started buying is own guns he was Semi auto all the way.

This is a good thread. But, I'm thinking you were doing just fine before you started it. :). If I was more comfortable with wheel guns, I would carry one. There was a time in my life when that was true. I was just a one handgun guy when I got my first auto, so it was a switch.

I have several of both. Most of my carry guns are semi-autos, but my nightstand gun is a revolver. Everything is application driven.

Now that this is settled, let's settle 45ACP vs 9mm. Everybody knows one is better than the other!

That’s been settled long ago. 9mm is for punching holes in paper; not for carry. biggrin.gif
Revolvers can get tied up. And when they do, it's usually a lot more work to them going again than a semi-auto.

My wife's Smith 686 will sometimes stop working when it gets too warm after a few cylinders. Not sure why, haven't tracked down the problem. It doesn't get carried for defense of course.

My point is, there really isn't a difference in reliability between a modern self-loader and a revolver. But when a semi jams, it's usually an easy fix. When a revolver does, you better have a backup.
One thing to consider with the reliability aspect that may, or may not be worth rumination, I've yet to have a quality semi auto stop working after a few 3-5 hundred rounds. The same can not be said for most any revolver I own. Like Clod says too, if you do have an issue it won't won't be something you'll be able to tap rack boom your way out of.

I like both styles, I have no idea what ratio semis to revolvers I own, but I have more revolvers I'd trust my life to than I do semis. Of course this mainly speaks to my compulsion for odd guns than it does anything else.
  • Like 1
I would love to have a Rhino, but they are proud if them for sure. As to the Calicos... Don't tempt me, they've been on the
List a long time, my buddies dad has 4 of them and they are ever neat. Not too pricey either.

Actually, funny this comes up, I'm going back and forth between the M&P shield and the 3" LCRx right now. Will head over to the LGS tomorrow and let fate decide I suppose, I could really go either way at this point. Edited by TrickyNicky

I have a uncle that prefers a mule and plow over a tractor, but that is not for me. I have another family member that prefers not to embrace the internet, but that is not for me. I prefer the radio over the TV, but I know that I am in the extreme minority. I still like land line phones over the cell phone.

Technology shifts, some people embrace, why others like or cling to older proven technologies. Glad we can choose.

omish_zpsa4756bd0.jpg

Hardly and accurate comparison. More like an automatic drive and a standard drive. I love semi-autos, but there are some situations where a revolver is hard to beat. It's not an old verses new thing, It's more of a tool for the job thing.
Yeah, no doubt that you can reload a semi-faster than a revolver. There are a few people in the world than can do a one or two second revolver reload. I am pretty quick but I can still reload magazines quicker than dumping a speedloader.

However, if it comes down to having to reload a handgun from a box of ammo the revolver is pretty quick. It takes some time to reload 13 to 17 rounds over and over in a magazine if you just had one.

I use safari push reloaders I just find them quicker than s&k knob reloader and I fully admit even with years of practice I can reload my 9mm a full 20 seconds faster than my .38 or .357 (yes I have timed it for kicks and giggles lol) and that's in a non stress environment  I guess I never expected the possibility of needing more than 6 rounds in a hurry to protect myself. I was fully convinced my revolver was all I needed at the start of this thread but now I am torn lol. I guess I need to do some more research on the issue before I make up my mind again thanks everyone!! 

I use safari push reloaders I just find them quicker than s&k knob reloader and I fully admit even with years of practice I can reload my 9mm a full 20 seconds faster than my .38 or .357 (yes I have timed it for kicks and giggles lol) and that's in a non stress environment  I guess I never expected the possibility of needing more than 6 rounds in a hurry to protect myself. I was fully convinced my revolver was all I needed at the start of this thread but now I am torn lol. I guess I need to do some more research on the issue before I make up my mind again thanks everyone!! 

As has already been said, go with what is comfortable and what works for you personally.

Listen, and maybe get different viewpoints, but don't change unless you are totally convinced it is completely THE thing to do.

I love my wheelies, but I don't carry one but extremely rarely. I've carried an auto loader all my gun-carrying life and know that my pitiful skills would not be good to change now.

But again...what works for you is right.

Edited by hipower

I use safari push reloaders I just find them quicker than s&k knob reloader and I fully admit even with years of practice I can reload my 9mm a full 20 seconds faster than my .38 or .357.

Is that a typo? I can reload loose rounds from my pocket in less time than that. I can do 12 shots from a model 10 in 15 seconds. However, an emergency Glock reload is only seconds.

Good stuff here...  Remember, the quickest (...and best...) reload is a second weapon... Keep your tools handy...!!

leroy

All these people like to push the fact that guys like Jim Cirillo won countless gun fights with revolvers up against guys with long guns. Cirillo pretty much defined New York reload; he would transition to a second or third gun when the previous one went dry. He would simply turn loose of the empty gun, letting it fall to the ground.
  • Like 1

Is that a typo? I can reload loose rounds from my pocket in less time than that. I can do 12 shots from a model 10 in 15 seconds. However, an emergency Glock reload is only seconds.

High stress... it would be like shoving marbles up a cat's butt one at a time for me. Life was easier when everybody had wheel guns. This day in time, a lot of the thugs are packing 15 rounds. 

Edited by mikegideon

WOW that is faster than me, from a shooting stance, dropping the cylinder,ejecting the shells,pulling the reloader from the carry case, reload, shut cylinder, and cock hammer takes me 25-30 seconds, I can reload my 9 in 5-8 seconds.