Liam Neeson: Number of guns in U.S. 'a disgrace'; guns in 'Taken 3' okay

From Traction Control, here's an "atta-boy" to Para USA:

PARA USA regrets its decision to provide firearms for use in the film “Taken 3″. While the film itself is entertaining, comments made by its Irish-born star during press junkets reflect a cultural and factual ignorance that undermines support of the Second Amendment and American liberties. We will no longer provide firearms for use in films starring Liam Neeson and ask that our friends and partners in Hollywood refrain from associating our brand and products with his projects. Further, we encourage our partners and friends in the firearms industry to do the same.

• Like 9
Why is it once you obtain fame and fortune you feel your opinions have any value to the general public? Is it the elitist lifestyle you live that makes you soooo much of an expert on anything? You don't really produce anything but 1 to 2 hours of entertainment. Your career is promoting a fantasy world and somehow your view of the real world is relative? Get a real job and shut the eff up
  • Like 4
  • 1 month later...

I use to really like his movies, but since I found out his feelings on our 2nd amendment rights I can't enjoy them anymore. I know he is just and actor and his roles are just a job to him, but once you get to the level of popularity he has achieved you can pick and choose your roles, so why does he keep playing the roles he does when his views are so opposite the movies he is in. Maybe I am over thinking it or something but he dropped to the level of POS in my mind with those comments.

I use to really like his movies, but since I found out his feelings on our 2nd amendment rights I can't enjoy them anymore. I know he is just and actor and his roles are just a job to him, but once you get to the level of popularity he has achieved you can pick and choose your roles, so why does he keep playing the roles he does when his views are so opposite the movies he is in. Maybe I am over thinking it or something but he dropped to the level of POS in my mind with those comments.

One word: money.

The way I look at it is an actor telling me what I should do with my guns is like a stripper trying to give me advice on life decisions

At least a stripper has life experience.

It's not a total wash from Hollywood.  Google what Brad Pitt and Iced-T have to say about guns, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Why is it once you obtain fame and fortune you feel your opinions have any value to the general public? Is it the elitist lifestyle you live that makes you soooo much of an expert on anything? You don't really produce anything but 1 to 2 hours of entertainment. Your career is promoting a fantasy world and somehow your view of the real world is relative? Get a real job and shut the eff up

We all feel our opinions have value, we just spread them to the audience we have at hand.  Otherwise, why would we ever post on TGO?  Celebrities just have a wider reach for some reason society seems to want.

• Like 1

We all feel our opinions have value, we just spread them to the audience we have at hand.  Otherwise, why would we ever post on TGO?  Celebrities just have a wider reach for some reason society seems to want.

Male Celebrities put their pants on the same way most of us do here. If most Americans would realize that what they say is not any more important then any other American might say pertaining to a certain subject............jmho 

• Like 1

Douchebaggery

Hypocritical douchebaggery, that is.

In his slight defense he is British, and most of them don't understand gun rights, since they gave theirs up a long time ago.

On the other hand, I don't care what an actor says, they aren't paid to give me their opinions, they are paid to make me believe for two hours or less that they ARE that character on my screen. Liam Neeson can do that, and regardless of his ignorant opinion, I suppose he still will.

My problem with supporting such actors through paying good money to see their movies in theaters, etc. is that doing so continues to help them in being 'famous'.  Being famous, in turn, provides them with a 'bully pulpit', as Teddy Roosevelt called it.  Through use of that bully pulpit they can, in turn, have a forum to speak out against my gun rights in venues that give them a wide audience.  In other words, by supporting his films financially and helping to maintain his fame and, therefore, his venue to spew his opinions to the public at large I am, in effect, paying him to speak out in opposition of my gun rights and helping to perpetuate his access to a venue from which to do so.  I will not do that.  It is unfortunate because I do often enjoy his movies.  My way of resolving those, two issues is that I will only watch his movies if I can find them in the $5 bin at Wally (because he would receive little or no $$$ from the sale) or at a used DVD store (where he would receive no $$$ from the sale and it wouldn't count as another copy of his movie sold.)

Edited by JAB

Action star Liam Neeson thinks its okay to have lots of guns in his movies, but not okay for U.S. citizens to have lots of guns.

While promoting "Taken 3" in Dubai, Neeson told Gulf News “there’s too many [expletive] guns out there. Especially in America. I think the population is like, 320 million? There’s over 300 million guns. Privately owned, in America. I think it’s a [expletive] disgrace.”

Neeson, however, does a 180 when it comes to his attitude toward make believe guns, especially those in his popular “Taken” franchise.

“A character like Bryan Mills going out with guns and taking revenge: it’s fantasy. It’s in the movies, you know?” he explained. “I think it can give people a great release from stresses in life and all the rest of it, you know what I mean? It doesn’t mean they’re all going to go out and go, ‘Yeah, let’s get a gun!”

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/01/14/liam-neeson-number-guns-in-us-disgrace/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

So, fantasizing about often over-the-top gun violence, including scenes which show the protagonist engaging in unsafe or even downright unrealistic gun handling as a form of release from stress is okay but people who own guns and(by and large) use them in safe, responsible and legal ways for hunting, target shooting or self defense are a 'disgrace'?  Shut up and get back in front of the camera.

First, he's neither Irish nor British. He's a naturalized U.S. citizen who was Irish.

One must wonder why he would want to associate himself with such a 'disgraceful' country by becoming a citizen.  I'd think that he would sleep more soundly at night knowing that he was still a member of a much more 'enlightened' society whose government doesn't believe its citizens' subjects' lives have enough value for them to be allowed to have the means to act in defense of their own lives or the lives of their families.

Edited by JAB

He's a damn actor.....can't believe a word any of them say anyway; plus who cares.  Like others, I am done with his movies as well.  He is on my 'Stalone' list.

I can't remember where I heard it but basically "He lies for a living".

I think it might come from "Stranger in a Strange Land"