Hammer falling during function check.

The set screw in the grip hole has got me thinking. No, there is no set screw there but i did replace the grip with a Hogue. Could it maybe be screwed in too far and cause this ?

Edit:   Nope. Backed the screw out two turns.  No change.

Edited by 94user

The set screw in the grip hole has got me thinking. No, there is no set screw there but i did replace the grip with a Hogue. Could it maybe be screwed in too far and cause this ?

Easily check that, just back out grip screw, but hold grip in place to hold selector spring/detente.

edit: okay, then eliminates that I guess.

Edited by Oh Shoot

Y'all are some good people. I can order a hammer from PSA for $24 and see if it helps. I got the disconnecter from them.

I should have at least one extra lying around here somewhere... Yup, found it. Shoot me your shipping info and it's on the way, or pick it up in Nashville if you're close by.

• Like 2

It's hammer time.

hammer-time.png

Ya know, if the hammer replacement doesn't fix it, I guess there's still the possibility that someone tried to polish the front of the trigger sear where it engages notch in bottom of hammer, and removed too much metal.

Which is to say if the hammer doesn't fix it, might need trigger also. Could be both were dinked with, as Dolo mentioned.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Nothing was dinked with. No one has had possession of this rifle except me and I didn't  ever do anything to the FCG beyond disassembly in order to learn how it works and be able to remove it for cleaning if necessary.  Nicky is gonna send me a complete FCG and I'll swap parts around and see what I can find out.  We shall see.

Nothing was dinked with. No one has had possession of this rifle except me and I didn't  ever do anything to the FCG beyond disassembly in order to learn how it works and be able to remove it for cleaning if necessary.  Nicky is gonna send me a complete FCG and I'll swap parts around and see what I can find out.  We shall see.

Gotcha, I overlooked you said in very first post you got it new, oopsie.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Chances are good that it will be something goofy. Those parts don't usually fail under hard use, much less the little bit of stress we put on them.

I got the FCG Nicky sent. Popped in his hammer on top of my trigger and disconnect. Problem solved.

Here are some crappy pics.  My hammer is on the bottom in the first and on the right in the second.

20150202_171817.jpg

20150202_171723.jpg

Edited by 94user
  • Like 1

One of our members that happens to be a friend of mine ( Bonedaddy ) just up and gave me a complete J P Enterprises FCG with the yellow reduced power springs for a 3.5 lb pull and it has two black springs that appear to be standard. There is no mention of the black springs in the instructions. I'm a bit concerned though because the instructions state that  use of foreign or NATO spec ammo with " low sensitivity primers" may not fire using the reduced power springs.  My stash consists of Wolf steel case and Federal XM855 in the green ammo can. The hammer is not the bobbed speed hammer. What say you, AR Gurus?

20150211_161625.jpg

If the reduced power spring does not set off the rounds mentioned put in a regular spring.

Well, um, yep.  I asked my ? poorly John.  Has anyone used the reduced power springs and had any problem with light primer strikes? I've read on yes and no on Arfcom and M4 carbine.  i don't know those folks and don't trust the many responses. I'm gonna shoot it  and see.  I installed the parts after my last post and I really can't tell a difference dry firing it. the reset problem is still gone though.  :up:

• Like 1