Any reason not to neuter my dog?

Erik88

My dog is 16 months old and my fiance wants to get him snipped. I've heard this can lead to a personality change that isn't for the better. I've also read that it will cut down on these nasty piss spots all over the floor where is junk drips. It is disgusting! 

I know that it is the responsible thing to do buy I just want to make sure he's not going to be worse for it.

Well the Police don't snip their Male dogs, but they do get their female dogs fixed.  Go figure.

Not an expert nor did I stay at Holiday Inn last night, but probably no harm from it.  If you don't plan on breeding him and if he is a house dog, probably for the best.

Edited by vontar

My dog is 16 months old and my fiance wants to get him snipped. I've heard this can lead to a personality change that isn't for the better. I've also read that it will cut down on these nasty piss spots all over the floor where is junk drips. It is disgusting! 

I know that it is the responsible thing to do buy I just want to make sure he's not going to be worse for it.

What is your roles were reversed?  What would you want him to do to you?  

Just kidding.  I'd have them chopped off.  Not mine, the dog's.

• Like 1
Would you snip your own? I snipped my old Lab, and afterward, he refused to retrieve. He would look at me like you go get it, you cut off my nuts!!! He was the last dog I had fixed. My 3 Labs since him all have their boys swinging. They don't pee in the house either. It's tough when a female goes in heat within 2 miles though.
  • Like 1
I have never thought about it, but there are some things mentioned here that hit home. My current lab is the first male I have ever had snipped. The females always got fixed though. My lab is the only one out six that has had weight issues and that does not like to retrieve. He is also the only lab I have ever known that is scared sh****** of swimming.

I have a feist that is 8.  If I could roll back the clock I would have done it.  When he was a puppy I had the mentality of "I wouldn't want that done to me."  At 8 he is pretty well behaved but slightly aggressive and will pee at every opportunity if allowed in the house.  I've also noticed that he likes to pee on things in the house out of spite and jealously, like if I'm holding something and set it on the floor he will pee on it, I think it's because I was holding that item when I could have been petting him.  He obeys pretty well but if I had it to do again I would have done two things different 1) had him snipped and 2) put him through obedience school. 

I will note that when he was a puppy my justification for not having him fixed was I didn't think it was necessary because I've always kept my dogs put up so he wasn't roaming the neighborhood impregnating everything around.  Now I see that it isn't about that.

Personality change was my number one concern too. I asked the vet and she said there should be none, and there wasn't. Chopper is still the same little turd as before the...operation. ;)

I think in the long run you will be glad you had it done. When neighborhood females come in heat he will stay home. His personality will depend more on you and your lady as to how his personality changes. If he is shown love and attention he will be loving and attentive back. Weight gain will also depend on how much you do to keep him active and watch his diet. The more treats he gets and the less activity he is allowed to do will also effect that..............jmho

I've had both my male dogs snipped. Their attitude and personality changed for the good. Remember....Neutering your dog makes him less nuts! Plus, most vets offer a discount on "No hump  Wednesday"! Well at least mine does...

Dave

The main reasons to neuter (castrate is a more specific term) a male dog is to decrease the behavioral problems associated with testosterone--marking behavior, roaming to find females, aggression.  With a 16 month old dog, he has already gone through puberty, so the decrease in these behaviors may be less marked than if he had been neutered before puberty.  Testosterone turns on certain receptors in the brain, and those receptors will still be present if the source of testosterone is removed.

Neutered dogs will not have benign prostate enlargement or prostate infections, but they can still get prostate cancer.  

The traditional age of neutering was 6 months of age, but then the shelter advocates started clamoring for early neutering (you may have seen some commercials recently telling you to neuter at 4 months).  There is some research that suggests neutering after puberty (>6-9 months)is beneficial for preventing some orthopedic problems, but there are not widespread opinions as to whether that is true.

With females, there is a definite positive effect of early neutering--decreased rate of breast cancer later in life.  With males, the benefits are less defined.  Prostate enlargement, for example, can be reversed with neutering when it occurs.

So if he urinates everywhere or chases after bitches in heat, neutering may help that, but he may still retain some unwanted behaviors.  My sister-in-law's late-neutered male dog lifting his leg and peed on my wall within 5 minutes of coming into my house.

• Like 1

The main reasons to neuter (castrate is a more specific term) a male dog is to decrease the behavioral problems associated with testosterone--marking behavior, roaming to find females, aggression. With a 16 month old dog, he has already gone through puberty, so the decrease in these behaviors may be less marked than if he had been neutered before puberty. Testosterone turns on certain receptors in the brain, and those receptors will still be present if the source of testosterone is removed.

Neutered dogs will not have benign prostate enlargement or prostate infections, but they can still get prostate cancer.

The traditional age of neutering was 6 months of age, but then the shelter advocates started clamoring for early neutering (you may have seen some commercials recently telling you to neuter at 4 months). There is some research that suggests neutering after puberty (>6-9 months)is beneficial for preventing some orthopedic problems, but there are not widespread opinions as to whether that is true.

With females, there is a definite positive effect of early neutering--decreased rate of breast cancer later in life. With males, the benefits are less defined. Prostate enlargement, for example, can be reversed with neutering when it occurs.

So if he urinates everywhere or chases after bitches in heat, neutering may help that, but he may still retain some unwanted behaviors. My sister-in-law's late-neutered male dog lifting his leg and peed on my wall within 5 minutes of coming into my house.

Thanks for the response.