Does there exist a Red Dot sight that turns on when you remove its cover?

Guest mechanically

Guest mechanically

I seem to recall seeing something that had this feature. 

I've been unable to track it down. Maybe I imagined it?

Anyone ever heard of a Red Dot sight that does this? 

I'm looking for something that would be stored for a lengthy period of time, but if I needed to put into action quickly, I would need it to work reliably. I prefer the idea of ripping a cover off, rather than trying to hit a small button...

Thoughts?

• Admin Team
The Docter sights that used to sit on top of the ACOGs had an optical sensor that would dim the sight down to basically the off position while the cover was on. Once you took the cover off, it adjusted the brightness automatically. I've had one CR2032 last for years.

Do not cheap out on the Mini Red Dots. If you do it will be a waste of money. I have bought several cheap ones before buying a Burris Fast Fire. The cheap ones have miserable battery life if you do not turn them off, one had a dead battery within 24 hours. The lens cracked on the other cheap one through normal use.

The Burris Fast Fire has an on/off switch which I consider a must but it also has extremely long battery life. I bought it in 2007 and I believe I am on the 4th battery now. One thing I really like about a lot of these mini red dots is they automatically adjust for ambient conditions. You do not have to fool with an adjustment knob when going from inside to out or vice versa. They are also very, very lightweight.

The Leupold Deltapoint also has a motion sensor that turns the dot on when the gun is moved.  Leupold's firedot scopes have the same thing.  

I have a Fast Fire III, and the auto-adjusting brightness drives me nuts.  I always just pick the setting I want and turn it off after every use.  Even doing that, my battery just died after a year of very light range use.  

I agree that the best solution is to buy a red dot that has long enough battery life to just leave it on and change the battery every year.  

If this is for a rifle....

Get a Aimpoint T1, leave it on and change the batteries once a year and you're GTG.

I've had mine for four years (constant on) and my original battery finally died last month.

Yep - total agreement here.

I'm roughly two years into my second battery - owned my T-1 since '08.  I keep it on "7."