john455

Seiverville Wal Mart

It's their right to do so.  Open carry provokes responses, most of them unpleasant.

I don't provoke.

• Like 10

It isn't posted but my brother was asked to leave by management for open carrying in the store Saturday.

It's their right to do so.  Open carry provokes responses, most of them unpleasant.

I don't provoke.

When I saw the thread title, I was of 2 minds. Walmart Posted??? and Gotta be another Open Carry incident.

When will people learn? Open carry in most situation, notice I said most, not all, does nothing but cause agitation to the citizenry and cause further anti gun feelings.

And Walmart? Man don't antagonize out favorite store. If we loose the location for most guys' first carry, i.e., "Doin' tha Wally Walk," where will we go?
  • Like 5

yep, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

• Like 2

I think that has always been a Walmart policy. They have said in the past that they will allow concealed carry but will be asked to leave if open packing. He should not have pushed the envelope. That was why he was asked to leave, I'm sure................ :shrug:

• Like 2

He always open carries and I don't think he did it to push the envelope, just didn't think about it, we have both open carried in the Walmart in Newport without an issue I guess it was just the wrong day to do it in Sevierville. Neither one of us had read their policy. I open carry mostly but I usually conceal in a store or openly public place, because it can and does freak people out sometimes.

Edited by john455
  • Like 1

I think that has always been a Walmart policy. They have said in the past that they will allow concealed carry but will be asked to leave if open packing. He should not have pushed the envelope. That was why he was asked to leave, I'm sure................ :shrug:

Never been a Walmart policy

I know that that little piece of paper in my wallet says that I can carry concealed or open,,, but I really don't like the sound of little old ladies sucking up the air in the room. And if I needed that carry gun the element of surprise is gone. I've seen several open carry dudes carrying in Wally World. One hand on the cart and the other in the ready position. Really amateur.   

I know that that little piece of paper in my wallet says that I can carry concealed or open,,, but I really don't like the sound of little old ladies sucking up the air in the room. And if I needed that carry gun the element of surprise is gone. I've seen several open carry dudes carrying in Wally World. One hand on the cart and the other in the ready position. Really amateur.   

Those sucking sounds are more likely coming from freedom hating liberals of all ages. :) With that said, I agree that the sucking sounds aren't a good thing.

• Like 1

Those sucking sounds are more likely coming from freedom hating liberals of all ages. :) With that said, I agree that the sucking sounds aren't a good thing.

Yeah, but going past that, the element of surprise goes in the toilet and I end up with a sign on my shirt that says " shoot me first ." I want to be able to pick the time and the position for the confrontation, if possible.

Yeah, but going past that, the element of surprise goes in the toilet and I end up with a sign on my shirt that says " shoot me first ." I want to be able to pick the time and the position for the confrontation, if possible.

I agree

Never been a Walmart policy

Yeah, their response periodically over time is that they follow the law in each state. However, in states that allow open carry, IF a customer complains/freaks, they'll ask him to cover gun, take it to car, or leave.

- OS

• Like 1

Not to mention that people will expect you to step in and save the day.  If you are not open carrying then it's your choice to act or not and no one knows the difference.

Yeah, their response periodically over time is that they follow the law in each state. However, in states that allow open carry, IF a customer complains/freaks, they'll ask him to cover gun, take it to car, or leave.

- OS

I work with a guy that's former Wal-Mart employee and he said this is their policy even if it's not in writing.  

I don't open carry because I don't want to scare the sheep. Also I agree that if something bad happens and you are open carrying you are gonna be a priority target

• Like 1

Not to mention that people will expect you to step in and save the day.  If you are not open carrying then it's your choice to act or not and no one knows the difference.

I hope no one ever expects me to save the day. Unless someone is being attacked unfairly, stabbed, woman being abused, ect, I will typically mind my on business unless something very bad goes down.

When I saw the thread title, I was of 2 minds. Walmart Posted??? and Gotta be another Open Carry incident.

When will people learn? Open carry in most situation, notice I said most, not all, does nothing but cause agitation to the citizenry and cause further anti gun feelings.

And Walmart? Man don't antagonize out favorite store. If we loose the location for most guys' first carry, i.e., "Doin' tha Wally Walk," where will we go?

It would the fall to my favorite store and be called a "Lowe's Walk".  :pleased:

*sigh*

I don't think there is any proof an open-carrier has ever been the first person shot in a robbery and that it's purely something the Internet's collective consciousness has accepted as a truth, but there are still plenty of reasons not to do it.

The reason that I don't open carry is the very same reason that I carry at all: I just want to be left the @#%$ alone.

• Like 8

I don't get the idea that open carrying somehow scares "the sheep". Every time I've seen someone OCing (the latest was at a Chattanooga Sam's Club), no one was freaking out. In fact, NO ONE even noticed the guy.

That said, I don't.

Edited by daddyo

Posting this sign on your business should take care of any open carry issue.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/Nofreakingoutzone_zps0eb4b2c1.jpg.html]Nofreakingoutzone_zps0eb4b2c1.jpg[/URL]

• Like 2

As a former Walmart employee myself, I only noticed any sort of open carry at night or in the wee hours of the morning. ( I never carried while i was working, just left mine in my vehicle in a lock box and didn't let management or anyone know i had a gun in my vehicle). I know some places have policies on prohibiting weapons( even legally carried ones) by their employees on their property. But no way in hell was I going to be without a defensive weapon that early in the morning after my shift, not 20 minutes from home either.

I really don't see the sense in open carrying but the law states you can open or conceal. I ( Like TGO David) states, I conceal becaue i want to be left alone. I don't want a confrontation and if something were to happen, i don't want the perp to have any advantage.

I'll carry into wal-mart, concealing but sometimes the holster shows when i have to reach up for something. If it bothers someone, then they have a right to complain. But that dosen't happen around where I live. I bet on a given average day there are close to a dozen or more firearms holstered in the store.

...If it bothers someone, then they have a right to complain. But that dosen't happen around where I live. I bet on a given average day there are close to a dozen or more firearms holstered in the store.

Lots of Yankee libs vacation in Sevierville/Pigeon Forge, probably the source of somebody freaking out and complaining.

- OS

Lots of Yankee libs vacation in Sevierville/Pigeon Forge, probably the source of somebody freaking out and complaining.

- OS

Yep. It seems to always be the ones with the biggest mouths and loudest personalities who want to come here on vacation. Couple that with big city hoplophobia and you get the freakout.

And Lord knows, all the libs in Tennessee are yankees.  Don't ever see any Obama stickers next to Tennessee plates, nossir!  :D

• Like 2

Open carrying in public is like asking to get to speak to some antigun nimrod, I have no desire to do that.  Might as well go out in the yard and try to talk a rock into being a tree.

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 4