Coyote Rifleworks trust- Too good to be true?

And do not think that because it was approved now it does not mean it will not be reversed later on, plenty of examples of that. At some point the ATF is going to start scrutinizing trusts and when that happens there are going to be a lot of people in a lot of trouble.

There is a reason why they went from any agent handling any state to assigning agents to specific states. The reason was that each state has different laws regarding guns as well as trusts. A trust setup for another state might not be valid in this one but the hired help, who glances over it, might not know what to look for and arbitrarily approve it. But later on when a lawyer examines the trust and determines it is not valid they will be contacting you for the correct trust. Guarantee doing that will cost you a lot more, in both grief and money, than doing it right the first time. Or imagine if one of the trustees gets thrown in jail for possessing the NFA item when the trust was not done correctly. Having a wife, son, daughter or friend getting thrown in jail to save a few hundred dollars would not seem like money well saved.

BTW, we are in a state where NFA items are illegal but we do have a defense to prosecution. And I can guarantee if you are in front of a judge, who is an attorney, as well as the prosecutor, that is also an attorney, they will scrutinized the trust. And if that trust was drafted by someone who is not a lawyer or it is a trust drafted from another state it will invalidate that trust and there goes your defense to the prosecution which places you in possession of ILLEGAL weapons. There are cases in Texas, which has an identical law to ours, that NFA owners are being arrested and going to court to have their defense to prosecution validated. At some point some LE officer is not gong to accept your copy or the form or the copy of your trust and make an arrest. And the worst part is the law allows him to do it but afterwards you will have your trust documents torn apart to make sure they are valid for this state. Who will be standing next to you when that happens? Coyote Rifleworks? Don't fool yourself.

This is also why a lawyer must be licensed to practice in each state. It is ILLEGAL for anyone to practice law without being a lawyer and drafting a trust IS practicing law.

The problem is not Coyote offering trusts. The problem is Coyote offering trusts when they are not lawyers and not from this state. And anyone who offers to draft someone else a trust without being a lawyer is a criminal, plan and simple. And those trusts setup by those who are not lawyers are invalid placing those in possession of their NFA items is serious jeopardy of being turned into a criminal. Just because they have not been caught yet doesn't change that fact that they are criminals. And personally I would not want to be associated with anyone who is a criminal, especially if their actions could make me a criminal too.

And you can go back and look at my posts from a few years ago and you will see I was no fan of trusts but I made sure to have mine done legally. I even had copies of other people's trusts as examples for me to copy but in the end I realized my freedom was worth more than any amount of money I might save.

I am sure that the trusts they do not sell on this site is not going to affect their bottom line.

It is perfectly legal for an individual to draft their own trust but they also assume the responsibility for ensuring it is right and if not then any punishments. There are only two people who can legally draft a trust, the individual and a state licensed attorney. Anyone else is breaking the law by offering that service.

As much as I would like to ba able to support one of the vendors here I cannot due to my level of income, so when the time comes for me to do a trust I most likely will go with coyote rifle works unless one of the 2 gentlemen here would be willing to do some probono work. I spent several minutes on the phone with the gentilman from coyote on Thursday evening discussing the whole situation that had been discussed here as well as the same exact type of conversations that has and will go on, on other boards. He does indicated that in no uncertain terms does not give leagal advice, they are attemping to reach all those that are in a situation just like myself that have to watch every penny that comes in from our sources of income, and in my case it is Social Security Disability income. out of my income I have a need to cover all of my meds food rent and other needed necessities, I dont ask for nor do I qualify for any other type of assistance. Yet that doesnt mean that I dont like to go out and shoot I reload all my own ammo and always look for the best price I can get and If it isnt from david here on the board I look till I can find a better deal. Again I am not opposed to paying for premium service when I can afford it. I was no where ready to retire when I was forced to persue SSDI when I did, and it is tough going from making a month to what I used to make in a week.

Now I hope that this entry does not pee in anyones wheaties, but not everyone can go out and afford the attorney regardless of how cheap the services might cost, in fact while I was out this weekend I was glancing around to see if I could find a copy of will maker that might cost me less and i would be going that route to prepare the documents myself, the people at coyote again saw a need for a service that would allow people like myself to be able to reach the same dream or need of having a trust at cost that could meet the needs, particularly in my case I suffer from extreem loos of hear in my left ear and considerable loss in my right ear, all related to military service but the V.A. says it is not signficant enough to warnt anything above a zero rating. I have no doulbt have said more than I should have and have no intentions of being diparaging to anyone on this board, JMHO. Thanks

If you can't afford John Wells trust, you can't afford NFA items.  

• Like 3
  • Administrator

Ron, it sounds like you've made up your mind.  Honestly as far as you and your trust are concerned, I really don't care.  Seriously.  The Coyote trust might be 100% correct for a Tennessee resident and there might be no difference at all between it and what a Tennessee lawyer specializing in NFA trusts could put together for you.  Awesome.

What I do care about is the people who will come along behind you on TGO, read this thread, and potentially follow along in your footsteps and end up with something that might not protect them from the BATFE and the State of Tennessee.  Because as I and others have tried to point out, somewhat unsuccessfully it would seem, is that sometimes the little bit more you will pay for a custom-tailored solution is worth exponentially more in the long run.

Ron, you could in all honesty go order all of the parts you needs to build a short barrel AR-15 right now, assemble it, never file a Form 4 and roll the dice.  That's even cheaper than doing a mail-order trust!  It's illegal as can be, but you can still do it.

So long as no one ever sees it and you never talk about it on the Internet, you might just get away without having to pay for a trust or a tax stamp and can admire the frugality of it all in silent secrecy.  After all, anyone can order sub 16" barrels all day long and you don't even have to transfer them through an FFL.  They aren't serialized.  The only thing stopping you or anyone else from doing that is fear of incarceration.

But the moment the existence of that unlicensed NFA firearm is revealed to anyone else, voluntarily or otherwise, the gig will be up and you will be charged with felony possession of a restricted firearm.  And that'll be the end of that.  Which is precisely what could happen to you if the trust you use isn't completely legitimate in Tennessee.

So, do whatever you want, Ron.  But anyone else who reads this thread... Caveat Emptor.  There are many famous examples of just how little the BATFE plays around about this stuff.

filepicker%2Fhqopty4GTSWDTyos9Leq_689124

• Like 2