Recommend me an optic for my PWS AR-15

What kind of range are you looking to shot o? Any budget? I'm happy with Vortex red dots for range use and think they'd be fine for HD as well if thats your thing. I've also got a few Bushnell AR scopes and have been happy with them to date as well, though one just showed up today so... 

Theres good options out there for <$200

If you looking to spend under $375 the Vortex SPARC II is about the best you will find. They can be found for $190-200

Once you step up to the $375+ range you can look at the AimPoint PRO. That's the best option for that $375-500 price range. Above that you get into the AimPoint T1/T2 and Eotech offerings.

That Vortex SRARC II is a fantastic optic for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are aimpoints any better than Eotechs?  Is there something in the $250-$350 range? 

For my money, the order of optics is...

1) EoTech

2) Aimpoint

3) Primary Arms

I prefer EoTech for the large reticule for quick acquisition.  I would however call Aimpoint more durable than an EoTech since I beat the hell out of my M68 (Comp2) on three Iraq deployments and it didn't miss a beat.  Putting my personal EoTech through the same stress wouldn't be on my to do list, but I'm confident it's good to go for HD/range work anytime.

The Aimpoint PRO, is the perfect performance/price compromise piece in my mind, but the Primary Arms gear is where you want to look if you have a budget of <$400.

For people that have used the Aimpoint Pro and an eotech, how much of a difference is the size of the glass?  Also will my sights block the view of either?

It's not the difference in the size of the glass that separates them, it's the style of the red dot.  They are two completely different styles to shoot with.  Having shot both a good bit, I find the EoTech quicker to get a shot off with.  But brands work just fine when you break it down for what you need.

Also, the physical shape of the optic is pretty different between the two.  Aimpoint is tubular shaped, the EoTech is more or less a square on top of a rectangle. 

Edited by btq96r
  • 2 weeks later...

Both the Eotech and Aimpoint pro can be had in the $350 to $400, but you have to watch for sales from reputable retailers.  Many fakes from places like ebay.  I was able to grab the Eotech from Brownells on a special coupon when Eotech was having a $60 rebate, so I have a Eotech 512 for around $330.  Then the aimpoint pro came from Optics Planet with a special 10% off and free shipping.  I think I got it for around $360.  Both I acquired in early 2014. 

Go with these and you will never 2nd guess your decision. 

• Like 1
Budget Optic- PA micro. I've had one on my AK SBR for over a year and no issues. They even have one now that gets 50k hours battery life.

Mid Price- Aimpoint Pro. Best bang for the buck military grade. I run mine on a 300 BLK SBR. This would be the cheapest optic that I would go into combat with.

High end- I don't really have what most consider high end but I guess for me either a T-1 if you want red dot or Accupoint 1-4x if you want magnification. I have both and it would be tough to choose. The accupoint does great on my 14.5" lightweight AR and seems to fit it better where the T-1 is more at home on my 10.5"-11.5" guns. Although you can make long shots with a red dot the accupoint spoils you. The accupoint is also pretty fast up close, almost red dot fast. If it didn't look weird to me on my 10.5" gun I would use it more but I can't get past the aesthetics.

Aim Point Pro Patrol can be had for right around the $400 mark. If you want to spend a little more, you can get a Aim Point T1 with a mount for $660(and a H1 for a little less). I don’t like EOtechs, The battery life on an Aim Point kills the EOtech I have left my T1 on for 2 years now. And Aim Points are indestructible. 

Edited by jmevis

in my opinion, primary arms advanced micro dot with a good QD base (like Larue)

simply the most rugged and best value red dot sight combo available for under $500

solid, amazing battery life (50K hrs) small, light, lifetime warranty, crazy rugged, and good enough to bet your life on if needed. 

I realize many will take issue with this, and thats cool...

here's my perspective:  i own ACOGs, Aimpoints, Eotechs, among others.  

the  primary arms advanced micro dot is an incredible value.  

Edited by crashgordan
The eotech will be quicker to acquire a sight picture for most folks, but the battery life and ruggedness of an aimpoint is lightyears abead. Turn the aimpoint on and replace the battery in a couple of years.... you'll still be 9 months to a year early. :) enjoy whatever you decide on and practice to proficiency.