hunting overkill

If you're serious, there'd a fantastic event happens just outside of Clarksville the first weekend in May: The Tennessee Classic, sponsored by Primitive Archer magazine.
You can buy the wood, pre-sorted & roughed in for around $30-80 & spend the full weekend, Friday through Sunday, building a traditional, useable, hunting weight bow under the guidance of some of the finest self-bowyers in the country. Other than the cost of a stave or blank, it's completely free of charge.

Wow! How cool is that? Wish it was closer....
It would be right up your street Dave!
Primitive skills galore.
Want to learn to knap flint? This is the place.
Primitive cordage? Gotcha covered.
A host of awesome people, fantastic campfire banter, fiddle playin', banjo pickin', Dutch oven cookin', canvas tentin', arrow shootin', hawk throwin', fun lovin', shine drinkin', great time!
  • Like 1

It would be right up your street Dave!
Primitive skills galore.
Want to learn to knap flint? This is the place.
Primitive cordage? Gotcha covered.
A host of awesome people, fantastic campfire banter, fiddle playin', banjo pickin', Dutch oven cookin', canvas tentin', arrow shootin', hawk throwin', fun lovin', shine drinkin', great time!

I want to learn to knap flint and hone up on some rusty primitive skills....you know, like shine drinking and such! Are you going to come up Rob?

Dave

I hunted with a 7mm RM for a long time. Back in like 1997 I had the chance to go out west elk hunting very short notice. I sold my only deer rifle, a 30-30, and bought a used 700 in 7mmRM to carry. Went 2 more times in the next couple years. Haven't been since 2000 but I never seemed to have to funds to buy another rifle and couldn't bring myself to sell or trade it. I was happy and it was effective so I just kept on hunting with it for nearly 10 years. I have a couple other rifles now so it just collects dust though. Preferring my 7mm-08 or .243. So I was like the other way around of the guy that buys a gun thinking he may go out west one day.

To be honest with you I shot a doe with my 7mm-08 this year and couldn't find her. If my 7mag had been sighted in I would've carried it the next day because I was pissed. I don't recall ever losing anything with it.

When I was in my late teens my neighbor would let me practice calling coyotes on his farm for pest control. I was just a kid and only had a .22, .410 and a 12 guage so he would let me use his 7mm rifle. Some shots actually didn't mess them up too bad but a couple I took were just a pile of guts. Edited by glowdotGlock

Years ago when I still felt like hunting , several around here went to the 7 mm Magnum . I bought one of there old 742 in 30-06 and felt that it was as big as anyone needs in Tennessee for anything we have. Now they seem to have gone with the 300 Win Mag and even the 300 Ultra Win Mag .  

I agree with a earlier post that it might be the little thingy syndrome.

Just bought my first real hunting rifle as I want to get back in to hunting. Feeling now real good about my decision to buy a Win 270 caliber rifle. And Rob you inspire me........make your own bow and use it to hunt.....I am definately going to have to recruit some guys and do that primitive archery camp,

Edited by CJDore