How many ham operators here

my son just picked some up during the holidays and we are still attampting to set them up, the tech lic is not that hard to obtain as there is no code requirement anymore.  If I am not mistakes you can go qrz.com and take pratice tests there to see how you will do on the exam.  One thing to keep in mind with the baofeng radios and all radios like them is that they are line of site radios, so unless there is a very high repeater in the area the distance will be limited just like a c b radio.

The Baofeng's are not too hard to set up manually but I hear the data cable makes it a breeze. You have to read the manual carefully though.

There is an excellent study guide out there that leads you through information needed for the test. Things you will be tested on are highlighted in bold. I can dig out a link if anyone is interested.

Edited by tnguy

Likely your programming problem on the Baofeng radios is the driver for the chip in the cable. The counterfit Prolific chip in the chinese cables will not work with the latest drivers. They work fine using an older driver. I don't remember the version offhand, maybe 5.0. I had the same problems at first. Lots of good info on the web.

Extra class ham here,  40+ years in ham radio.

The drivers in windows 7 would not work but I loaded an older version for programming purposes and had no issues. Apparently the the US chip maker tried to make it more difficult for the Chinese ripoffs in the offshore built usb to serial cables. Yours could be different .

The cable we have did not work with chirp even after downloading a different driver, so we spoke with a few different guys that helped write the software, and thier opinion was that baofeng might have changed that firm wware, now that was with the 1st set of radios those have been sent back the ones we have. we still need to try the newest radios with the cable and chirp to see if they will program or just figure that we will have to program them manualy

I found a cheap ($2 I think) app for iPhone that used actual questions to practice for the test.  It worked great for me because I could practice any time/where I had a few minutes.  I have a Yaesu hand-held that I use sometimes, and a Yaesu FT-2900R mobile set up at the house, both primarily for SHTF or emergency use. 

I listened quite a bit when I first got my license, but got a little tired of old farts (like me) talking about where they were on their commute and what they had for dinner..

KK4LNX

I am trying to figure out a good mobile antenna location on my truck. It's a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with an aluminum toolbox in the bed. I'd really like to mount it on the forward, driver's side of the tool box (between the cab and bed), but that doesn't seem like I'll have any ground plane at all. I would mount it on a bracket that would be mounted to the front of toolbox. Would I be killing my reception/transmission like this with no flat metal area under the antenna and right next to the rear of the cab?

Here is my antenna (nothing special): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H3DTGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit:
It would be similar to this random picture I found on Google but with the antenna mounted on the front side of toolbox between the cab and bed. (My toolbox is a gull-wing style that opens from the sides and is hinged in the middle)

86459148e7e4cfe3183c3d4c730ce661_zps40b1

Edited by Wingshooter

I am trying to figure out a good mobile antenna location on my truck. It's a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with an aluminum toolbox in the bed. I'd really like to mount it on the forward, driver's side of the tool box (between the cab and bed), but that doesn't seem like I'll have any ground plane at all. I would mount it on a bracket that would be mounted to the front of toolbox. Would I be killing my reception/transmission like this with no flat metal area under the antenna and right next to the rear of the cab?

Here is my antenna (nothing special): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H3DTGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit:
It would be similar to this random picture I found on Google but with the antenna mounted on the front side of toolbox between the cab and bed. (My toolbox is a gull-wing style that opens from the sides and is hinged in the middle)

86459148e7e4cfe3183c3d4c730ce661_zps40b1

If you are concerned about RF exposure (and btw, the configuration you suggest will *not* meet guidelines at 50W at 144 & 440).

That said, there is a better way to use that antenna that is safe -

Get a local radio shop to drop a standard NMO mount in the center of your roof.  It is a quick, easy, and relatively cheap job.  The performance will far exceed any other place that you locate that antenna, *and* it will meet RF exposure guidelines inside your cab. 

The mount I am talking about is a NMO UHF, similar to this - http://www.amazon.com/Browning-BR1010-4-Inch-Hole-Mount/dp/B00BLCLVFY/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=126KPGZ6DMYM7HKJW0TJ .  It will be weatherproof, and grounded to the roof. 

I have two of these on my truck roof.

One more comment added - if you do use a roof mount, be sure and remove the iron fines on the roof left behind by the drill (especially with your white roof).  ALL of them.  Even the "dust" .  Don't ask me how I know this......

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

The truck bed rail would also be a good place to mount an L-shaped bracket for your antenna.  Personally, I use a mag-mount on the cab roof.  I've used a stake pocket mount from Geotool in the past - great mount but difficult to install.

new-4bs.jpg

HF-1.jpg

• Like 1

If you are concerned about RF exposure (and btw, the configuration you suggest will *not* meet guidelines at 50W at 144 & 440).

That said, there is a better way to use that antenna that is safe -

Get a local radio shop to drop a standard NMO mount in the center of your roof. It is a quick, easy, and relatively cheap job. The performance will far exceed any other place that you locate that antenna, *and* it will meet RF exposure guidelines inside your cab.

The mount I am talking about is a NMO UHF, similar to this - http://www.amazon.com/Browning-BR1010-4-Inch-Hole-Mount/dp/B00BLCLVFY/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=126KPGZ6DMYM7HKJW0TJ . It will be weatherproof, and grounded to the roof.

I have two of these on my truck roof.

One more comment added - if you do use a roof mount, be sure and remove the iron fines on the roof left behind by the drill (especially with your white roof). ALL of them. Even the "dust" . Don't ask me how I know this......

Ya know, I should have been more concerned about RF exposure than I was. Thanks, you have a good point. I actually have that mount that you linked to. I was thinking about using it with an "L" bracket on the side of the toolbox. I'm re-evaluating the location, though. Just don't know if I can bring myself to drill a hole in the top of the cab though.

Is there a different type antenna that would be safer to mount on the toolbox? Edited by Wingshooter

Ya know, I should have been more concerned about RF exposure than I was. Thanks, you have a good point. I actually have that mount that you linked to. I was thinking about using it with an "L" bracket on the side of the toolbox. I'm re-evaluating the location, though. Just don't know if I can bring myself to drill a hole in the top of the cab though.

Is there a different type antenna that would be safer to mount on the toolbox?

In theory, yes. But unfortunately, they are very directional, and bulky (yagis, etc) .

For your purposes, any omnidirectional antenna at 146 MHz at 3.0 dBd gain would be an allowable Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) for controlled zone (.i.e. a passenger) at 1.8 watts. You need a bit over 5' separation for 60 watts. You would still need a ~4' minimum distance for a quarter-wave antenna (~1- 2 dB gain over dipole depending on ground plane from truck body). 

With a roof mount (even a magnet mount), you elevate the RF pattern over the subjects (instead of their face) and mostly eliminate the problem.

Here is a MPE calculator that you can do for your own research - http://hintlink.com/power_density.htm

Now...  You could attach a mount to the box which elevates the antenna over the passenger compartment.  I have no idea how well it would work (ground plane would be a bit goofy), but it would alleviate a lot of the exposure issues.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1
I wouldn't worry about rf exposure at 50 watts or less on 2m or 440 as long as it's not in your face. I'd go w nmo w a 1/4 wave antenna or even a magnet mount. Your truck box idea looks good as the whip is above the box where the load is not a big concern.
hTH

I wouldn't worry about rf exposure at 50 watts or less on 2m or 440 as long as it's not in your face. I'd go w nmo w a 1/4 wave antenna or even a magnet mount. Your truck box idea looks good as the whip is above the box where the load is not a big concern.
hTH

Or the back of your head........ that's the point I thought I was making. But, you absolutely should be concerned with MPE at 144 & up.
  • 2 years later...