Shooting in enclosed spaces and hearing damage.

While I agree with protecting your hearing, what do you guys think about preparing for a self-defense shooting?  I mean you aren't going to have ear protection on.  Shouldn't you know what to really expect if you get in a situation like that?

There is no need to shoot without hearing protection to see what it would be like in a self defense situation. The reason is when adrenaline starts pumping your hearing tends to go long before a shot is ever fired. It is part of a self defense mechanism your body does to protect itself. That is also why you get tunnel vision. And if you do have to shoot to save your life you will NEVER hear the shot and likely would not be able to tell how many shots were fired. Adrenaline does a lit of weird things and it gets worse the more adrenaline.

When I have adrenaline dumps, I mean SERIOUS, dumps it seems like my senses are gone. Now once the situation is over the first thing that hits is the queasy feeling, nausea, stomach cramps and the feeling like I am about to crap my pants. After that I just want to lay down and go to sleep because I am tired like I have been awake for 3 days straight. I have been through it enough to know what to expect but it still happens every time I have an adrenaline dump.

• Like 1

While I agree with protecting your hearing, what do you guys think about preparing for a self-defense shooting? I mean you aren't going to have ear protection on. Shouldn't you know what to really expect if you get in a situation like that?

I've heard the same argument from people about hunting.

Something like this

"I can't wear earmuffs out in the woods when I'm hunting. "

No, maybe not (unless they're electronic), but can wear them in the backyard when you're shooting.

"I want to get used to gunfire."

There is a clinical term for gettin used to loud noises. It's called "deafness".

I did plenty of shooting (and mowing, and sawing and tractor work, etc.) without ear protection when I was younger. Now I have hearing loss to show for it.
  • Like 1