Have any of you cut your cable?

I've been using a program called Kodi http://kodi.tv/ (formerly called XBMC). It has it's roots as an app that could stream video content to/from your PC/XBox, but it has grown beyond that.

It's got a steep learning curve, but there is a ton of content that can be viewed. The app knows where to find video from all over the net, such as the ABC/NBC/etc. websites, and makes it easy to view by indexing it and presenting it to the viewer.  The genius of the app is that it is modular, and people write these add-ons for it. There are add-ons for all kinds of things. There is even one for live TV streaming. Not sure how they do it, but I was able to watch Fox News Channel over the PC. Switching back and forth between the cable and PC, I noticed only a few second delay.

I built a PC in a special case that looks like a stereo, and added it to my TV rack. It's dedicated to watching stuff on the internet. We also use Amazon Prime, and use the PC for that.

I dropped cable just after thanksgiving 2014 (saving $115 per month).  At first I missed having cable, but after about a month I have found more that enough programming.  I use a channel master DVR+ for over the air HD recording (2 tuners).  I also use an older laptop with HDMI output and a long cord to the TV to stream from the internet.  I get around 20 channels over the air.

I have Uverse. 300+ channels and it is $80 a month, contract up in April. Depending on what happens with the new Dish/SlingTV package I may get it for $20 a month.
It lacks like 2 channels I watch shows on but I can stream those shows from Amazon or Hulu.

http://m.about.dish.com/press-release/products-and-services/sling-tv-launch-live-over-top-service-20-month-watch-tvs-tablets Edited by jonathon1289

We dropped DirecTV last December and picked up a Roku streaming stick.  We have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime.  We'd probably cancel Amazon Prime if we didn't buy so much stuff using the 2 day shipping.  We have internet through Charter, and I didn't know until recently that Charter service comes with "free" access to EPIX, which is actually where a lot of the content on Netflix and Amazon comes from.  We also have an HD antenna, but my house is on the side of a hill opposite from the direction of the TV towers, so I don't pick up much.  

Honestly, we have watched more TV since getting the Roku than we did before (that may not be a good thing. but it's definitely more cost effective).  Between PBS Kids, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube, there's an enormous amount of kid programming.  Our kids love it.  

To me, sports are pretty much the only reason to still have cable.  I really only watch college football, so missing all the bowl games stunk.  I might pay for Dish's streaming package during the next college football season.  

Cut cable years ago and Direct TV last year, don't miss it or the bills. A HDTV adapter provides all of the local channels free of cost. Anything else is via internet or movie rental, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if everyone quit cable/satellite TV and taught the providers what greed begets.

We cut ours some time ago ... back when komkast decided that shows with thugs shooting people were ok but stores advertising guns to sell to honest people were not.  

We never replaced it...  using netfix for old tv shows and occasional movie, or the web can supply either one as well.   We never were much into TV ... so its no big loss. 

Using EPB now, which has been much better in every way.

HELL YES! Week four of no cable and I could not be happier. I am on the extreme edge of both Nashville and Huntsville based stations but with a good attic antenna I get all of the networks and a few others thrown in. I did go with a Tivo to get channel guide and DVR functions but definitely feel good about dumping Charter due to very poor service and cost. Between the streaming providers that I already had subscriptions for and OTA I don't feel like I am missing anything. The only downside is that I will not be able to watch Walking Dead on Sunday nights, I will have to wait an extra day.

For OTA go to tvfool.com and enter your address to get an idea of what you can expect to be able to receive.

Edited by 1madss

I am hoping for the paradigm shift to occur soon where we can stream virtually any show on cable at the same time or very soon after as the original airing via one of the streaming services.  I would sit through the commercials if it meant watching it sooner.  I think we are getting closer each year.

I started watching Walking Dead on Monday mornings before work after one of my co-workers almost spoiled an episode for me.

If I had known about that Channel Master DVR + sooner, I might would have planned my Christmas purchases differently.  Right now, the $300 price is not low enough for the two shows that overlap with other shows that I watch.

We cut cable a couple of years ago. My son is 12 now and daughter is 5. I was paying $242/mo for bundled cable, phone and Internet. I kid you not I cut the cable and it was 6 mos before my son said something was wrong with the cable. We're not huge into tv anyway. We have the Roku with Hulu Plus, we already had Amazon prime for shipping. We do ALL our Christmas shopping online and even do Hello Fresh for three different and unique dinners a week. We already had Netflix for the DVDs and I had no idea at the time streaming came with.

We also cut home phone. We have unlimited minutes on our cells and only telemarketers called home phone. We went from $242/mo to $39.99/mo. However, all of the sudden in January our Internet went from $39.99 to $54.99. It's Charter, no explanation.

Between Hulu, Amazon and Netflix we watch whatever we want. Anything else we've found we can stream online via the kids wii u. I do kinda think we actually watch more tv now though. We've discovered shows we'd never watched and will binge watch a series since we don't have to wait a week for the weekly cliffhanger. LOL!

Has anyone in the Franklin area ditched cable? If so what kind of channels are you getting with an antenna? I am seriously considering making the cut.

It really depends on where you are in Franklin.

Go to www.tvfool.com and put in your address and it will generate a radar plot that looks like this:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d2c15ffa1ecc07f

It will give you an idea of what kind of antenna you will need. I'm in Thompsons Station and I get all of the channels north of me with a Channel Master CM4228HD in my attic and a amplifier. I can also pickup a number of the southern station out of Huntsville if I point the antenna south.

The main channels I get are:

ABC

NBC

CBS - This one can be a little spotty

FOX

CW

ION

PBS

It really depends on where you are in Franklin.

Go to www.tvfool.com and put in your address and it will generate a radar plot that looks like this:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d2c15ffa1ecc07f

It will give you an idea of what kind of antenna you will need. I'm in Thompsons Station and I get all of the channels north of me with a Channel Master CM4228HD in my attic and a amplifier. I can also pickup a number of the southern station out of Huntsville if I point the antenna south.

The main channels I get are:
ABC
NBC
CBS - This one can be a little spotty
FOX
CW
ION
PBS

Thanks a bunch! I'm in Cools Springs so hopefully I will be able to get at least as many as you do. Thanks for the antenna recommendation also!

Thanks a bunch! I'm in Cools Springs so hopefully I will be able to get at least as many as you do. Thanks for the antenna recommendation also!

It can depend quite a bit on geography, I'm only 9 miles from downtown, but there are hills around me blocking 2 of the stations' towers so I have spotty reception on those even with a large antenna array in the attic.

I about ran off the road today when the wife told me over the phone how much our monthly cable bill is! We have ATTuverse and we have had zero issues with it here in Nashville unlike the days with out service thru comcast. But that is a different story. We are looking at options like Roku and apple TV and using Hulu and Netflix. 

So have any of you cut the cable and gone a different route with your TV options. We will still keep our internet and cell thru ATT but the TV has got to go! I am almost embarrassed at what we pay just for TV service.

We have not had TV for about 2 years. Hell, I didn't have it for 12 years until my wife went on maternity leave about 6.5 years ago. No big deal to me. Most of it sucks, anyway.
I have up Comcast Internet to move from Nashville to Shelbyville area, and have no cable available here. Could get one of the satellite services but haven't. Off air or DVDs. Had HughesNet Internet satellite service for several years. Recently changed from that to a local wireless provider who put a tower across the road from me. Much better!

Did not watch a single bowl game. Of the thirty or so only four were not on ESPN so I didn't bother. Didn't watch much if any college football during the regular season for about the same reason.

More and more people are giving Comcast the finger. Thank God. They are evil.

If they aren't feeling the pain from it it, when will they and how will they adapt? The way media is viewed has been changing at an exponential rate since YouTube came about.

Their adaption has been to add caps. If you watch enough online, you will run up your bandwidth and pay them anyway.

Someone needs to come in and kick their ass. Unfortunately, it's a regulated market and their boss golfs with Obama so good luck with that.

Edit: forgot Google for a second. Won't be doing me much good for a while though.

Edited by tnguy