Have any of you cut your cable?

I about ran off the road today when the wife told me over the phone how much our monthly cable bill is! We have ATTuverse and we have had zero issues with it here in Nashville unlike the days with out service thru comcast. But that is a different story. We are looking at options like Roku and apple TV and using Hulu and Netflix. 

So have any of you cut the cable and gone a different route with your TV options. We will still keep our internet and cell thru ATT but the TV has got to go! I am almost embarrassed at what we pay just for TV service.

Cable TV from all providers has gotten out of hand.  Same thing goes for any other business or service if they're listening....PEOPLE CANNOT HANDLE 10-15% OR MORE RATE INCREASES ON A YEARLY BASIS!  I really don't know where they get off or what lala land they're living in but it's ridiculous.

I must have TV, internet and phone and am tired of having to call and dicker with them.

• Like 1

We cut CATV about 5 years ago.  Now all over-the-air plus internet (ex. Roku).

It's awesome.  Cut our bill by ~75%.

My wife is worried :wall: that the kids (ages 6 and 2) will lose there channels that they like as well as her programs. I am trying to do as much research as possible to find a solution! Thanks for any input. 

I thought I had to have cable (satellite) too, but 18 mos later, probably the best decision we have made.  We actually watch the DVDs we have in our collection.  We actually do have more family time, and we do watch Amazon prime, and lots of stuff on Youtube.  We have re-discovered shows like Gunsmoke and many more.  I admit, I miss ESPN, but in what I gained in other areas, not that much.  So we are about $1,800 saved now.  The only thing we have to show, is money.  Before it was just check mark that we watched X @ $100 month.  We do have local digital programming of which we have close to 20 channels FREE, FREE, FREE.  Did I mention it was FREE!

My wife is worried  :wall: that the kids (ages 6 and 2) will lose there channels that they like as well as her programs. I am trying to do as much research as possible to find a solution! Thanks for any input. 

If it helps, My wife is a TV junkie.  She found everything she wanted,  She is the one who made the final decision to cut.  The only thing we have problems with is ESPN sports, but you can subscribe to that.

Really interested in doing so but not sure how to go about it. We're looking to move to a Comcast serviced area in a few months and I really don't want to go down that road again.

**newb alert**

Is it possible to do so and still enjoy live sports like nascar and the NFL as well as regular network programming?
I cut cable a long time ago in favor of netflix. Now I also have Amazon prime and a chrome cast.

I miss cable sometimes, but then again I can always head over to one of the family who still pays for it if there's a show I want to watch without waiting for it to come out. Even then Amazon is picking up new seasons of more and more shows, they're pricey, but considering how few seasons I end up buying I'm still coming out ahead in the long run.

My wife is worried :wall: that the kids (ages 6 and 2) will lose there channels that they like as well as her programs. I am trying to do as much research as possible to find a solution! Thanks for any input.

They'll adjust, mine did.

We're straight antenna now.

Cable etc. is expensive and nothing but a bunch of junk.
  • Like 1
As soon as my Amazon Fire Stick gets here in the next couple days Dish can pound sand. Wife cut back our Didh to try to save.
-I watch Outdoor Channel, Predators games, and Braves baseball.
We don't get outdoor channel.
2 nights last week I wanted to watch a movie. I could not find one or anything else interesting on the limited channels we have. I defaulted to hgtv. Screw that. Then I decided to watch a movie on my phone on Amazon prime instead. There's a crap ton of westerns on there so I'm gtg. I'll figure out the baseball and hockey somehow.
PBS kids has all the shows my kids watch except bugs bunny and Scooby Doo.

yeah I get it. But this s 2015 now so looking for the most up to date info. As with most technology after its released then it has become out dated.

Streaming video has not so much followed this trend, sure new entries come to market, but older rokus and apple tvs have continued to get additional features with every software upgrade for years after release. The roku 3 is my current recommendation, followed closely by the amazon fire tv or the appleTV.(if you fall heavily to apple or amazon with digital content ownership already) that second thread I linked to was from this month so is very much still relevant.

Cut the cable a few years ago; now we have a whole-house antenna in the attic supplying all the televisions through the former cable lines.  My son is 9 now; he was probably 6 or 7 when we cut the cord.  He misses Cartoon Network, but some of those shows are available on the internet.  He spends a lot of his television time watching YouTube videos of other people playing video games (apparently that is a thing now).

We have Amazon Prime, and use Amazon Instant Video to buy individual episodes of shows like the Walking Dead.

The only negatives so far are that I have to wait until the next day to watch my favorite show (Walking Dead), and my son misses out on the popular cartoons.  Some would say that is a positive thing, though.  I do wonder when he gets older if kids will pick on him because he doesn't have cable and misses out on something popular, but cable here is a minimum of $70 a month, and it is not worth it.  We watch a lot less television.  

One big negative is that I can't easily use a VCR to record shows anymore, so sometimes I just can't watch some shows.  Example:  I used to watch Marvel's Agents of Shield, which now comes on at the same time as Supernatural.  I don't watch Agents of Shield anymore.  I could wait a week and watch it streamed on ABC's website, but I get irritated that I used to be able to watch the episodes the next day.  They made some type of deal with some of the big cable networks so that those customers get to watch the episodes first (I guess I am part of the steerage class).

If more people cut cable and satellite, those companies would have to start cutting prices and offering a la carte channels in order to keep and attract customers.  I hear people complain about the price of tv service all the time, yet they continue to pay for it.

Every now and then Charter calls trying to get me to come back.  They always offer the exact same deal, but they try to make it seem like a new deal just for me.  

yeah I get it. But this s 2015 now so looking for the most up to date info. As with most technology after its released then it has become out dated.

Searching for the topic, than re-reading old threads make a good starting point.  You can read what has been said before then start your thread, or just bump up an old one, with informed questions, and possibly knock out some of your questions entirely.

As to your questions, I have an OTA antenna sitting outside (a real antenna, not those indoor half assed ones I tried and ended up returning) along with a Roku to stream.  I even have HBOGo set up since Comcast keeps throwing in HBO with my internet service.  With the new Dish network offering of online channels (ESPN and Disney included) you should be able to make the full transition if you want.

One big negative is that I can't easily use a VCR to record shows anymore, so sometimes I just can't watch some shows.  Example:  I used to watch Marvel's Agents of Shield, which now comes on at the same time as Supernatural.  I don't watch Agents of Shield anymore.  I could wait a week and watch it streamed on ABC's website, but I get irritated that I used to be able to watch the episodes the next day.  They made some type of deal with some of the big cable networks so that those customers get to watch the episodes first (I guess I am part of the steerage class).

If you have the cash, you can pick up something like this and it should solve your problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-DVR-Bundle-subscription/dp/B00JGZQ17Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G492JMYM3R46KB5JF7W

I've not had cable to speak of since 2007. I got it back for a couple months through a promotional deal in 2014, but dropped it soon as the promotion ended. I pay $29.99 for internet with Comcast, plus Netflix and Amazon prime. Like others I have all the local channels free over the air in true HD.

My wife is worried  :wall: that the kids (ages 6 and 2) will lose there channels that they like as well as her programs. I am trying to do as much research as possible to find a solution! Thanks for any input. 

we just dropped direct last week. little man is 4 and we have actually found more shows he likes on netflix, plus he has the option to chose which one he wants.

Cut the cable a few years ago; now we have a whole-house antenna in the attic supplying all the televisions through the former cable lines.  My son is 9 now; he was probably 6 or 7 when we cut the cord.  He misses Cartoon Network, but some of those shows are available on the internet.  He spends a lot of his television time watching YouTube videos of other people playing video games (apparently that is a thing now).

My son does that too. So do my high school kids. Strange. 

We cut cable last month. First month without it. We love it!! Listen to more music. Talk.  I like the 200 a month savings too. 

Edited by LowBb