Google Fiber Confirmed Coming to Nashville

JohnC

Google Fiber Confirmed 1 Gigabit service is coming to Nashville! :up:

https://fiber.google.com/cities/nashville/home/

Example of how their plans look:

Your service plan options are:

• Gigabit + TV: $120/month ($300 construction fee waived)
  • Gigabit Internet: $70/month ($300 construction fee waived)
  • Basic Internet: $0/month (for up to seven years starting from the date your address was first connected to the Google Fiber network for any person) + $300 construction fee
  • Like 2

Comcast will find a way to F it up.  It may take a few months, but they'll find a way.  

Doubt it, Google has more cash than the US treasury and intends to make high speed internet commonplace no matter the cost. Every market they have entered with google fiber has had cost per Mb reductions across the board regardless of the ISP. Comcast is too busy trying to keep from being reclassified as a title II utility, that happens and comcast may as well roll out a welcome mat nationwide for google fiber and municipal broadband.

I was paying $39 a month for comcast cable for the internet. $70 to me means they will have to show me something spectacular and believe me I'm not 

any fan of comcast.

5Mb internet is free from Google after the install fee for 7 years min. Gigabit internet is $70 and can move data at speeds where your file transfers are held up by the local HD's write speed rather than the pipe the data comes in through. 

Comcast will find a way to F it up.  It may take a few months, but they'll find a way.  

The Comcast CEO is already working on that.....

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts is an Obama golfing buddy whose political giving is 90+% Democratic.  Comcast Executive Vice President David Cohen has given upwards of $500K to Obama while raising another $2.2 million. 

r7qa7a.jpg

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts, left, and World Bank President Jim Kim, right.  August 2014

Gigabit speed sounds great...in theory.  But anything on the internet that isn't within your local network is a two way process.  You may be paying for a gigabit, but the sites your streaming or downloading from can only get that data to you as fast as their upload speed allows.  They may or may not have comparable service.

I have a 25Mbps pipe for my needs, and really, it's more than enough.  I only have that much so I can run multiple devices at a time, and someday I might get a PS4 so I can play my buddies across the country in Madden.  I can see where people with a full household would need more, but a gigabit? 

I'm on-board with the 'Eff Comcast, et. al' bandwagon no matter the topic at hand, however.  :up: 

• Like 1

You don't come up with used for internet that fast until you have access to it. It makes real time off-site backup a reality, allows very HQ video conferencing with no compression delay, and makes home media servers a real proposition for most users.

The best part of fiber isn't the download speed, it's the upload speed and the overall bandwidth capacity.

There are allready 7 cities in TN that the local utilities provide a gigabit. Not a huge deal and as others have said, unless. You have the hardware to handle it, there is no use for it. As of last count in Chattanooga, there were only 8 residential customers taking a gigabit and none were even using it fully. Unless you move tons of data, it does you no good. Charter and comcast fight the utilities providing a gig as these utilities also provide phone and cable now at much cheaper rates.

Gigabit speed sounds great...in theory. But anything on the internet that isn't within your local network is a two way process. You may be paying for a gigabit, but the sites your streaming or downloading from can only get that data to you as fast as their upload speed allows. They may or may not have comparable service.

I have a 25Mbps pipe for my needs, and really, it's more than enough. I only have that much so I can run multiple devices at a time, and someday I might get a PS4 so I can play my buddies across the country in Madden. I can see where people with a full household would need more, but a gigabit?

I'm on-board with the 'Eff Comcast, et. al' bandwagon no matter the topic at hand, however. :up:

Its more about bandwidth and not having data limits than actual speed at this point.

My home network consists of:

3 Desktops
5 Laptops
3 Tablets
3 iPhones
1 Roku
1 Sony PlayStation

We are heavy users. We do nearly everything via the internet. So 1 Gigabit is worth it for us. :up:

And to think when Comcast 100Mbps first came out, I was paying $200 a month plus taxes, etc. This will be a welcome service for a decent price if I can get it in my neighborhood! :woohoo:

Edited by JohnC
  • Like 1

I was paying $39 a month for comcast cable for the internet. $70 to me means they will have to show me something spectacular and believe me I'm not 

any fan of comcast.

If you're happy with $39 a month internet speeds, 1 gigabit probably isn't for you. 

any fan of comcast.

$31 a month to be getting better service than Comcast and not giving them my business?  Sign me up.  Besides, the way Comcast is your bill could be $39 this month and $89 next month with no explanation

• Like 1

Bye Bye Comcast...I have no remorse for the amount of business they are about to lose. Zero.

Internet and cellular phone/data service providers are benefiting from being run by oligarchs in an oligopoly.

Don't get me wrong. Comcast was great in the beginning and they basically got us off 56k dial-up. But the stupid stuff they have done has ruined their reputation and is making people want to leave them behind for anything else in droves.

So now we have that out, Google Fiber. :up:

As of last count in Chattanooga, there were only 8 residential customers taking a gigabit and none were even using it fully. 

This is just flat out wrong, in late 2013 Chattanooga topped 3500 gigabit subscribers just under half residential and they didn't drop the price of gigabit service to it's current $70 level until September 2013. Adoption was VERY slow when the service was still priced at over $300 per month but once EPB ran specials and dropped the price to be competitive with the other ISPs it's taken off rather well.  Also EPB only offers 100Mbps or gigabit now iirc so even if you took the "lower tier" as most customers do you still get 10x the speed I currently pay comcast for the same cost.

Does anybody know how large of a radius they plan on for this?  Just Nashville, or out into the surrounding cities and towns?

I haven't seen an exact map. But it sounds like they will expand it to neighborhoods as potential "Fiberhoods" meet sign up goals.

How to get connected:

Fiberhood Schedule

Installations
Google Fiber will build out and bring service to fiberhoods that meet sign-up goals. If your fiberhood qualifies, installations for Community Connections will occur alongside other installations in your fiberhood.

Installations

When it is time to install in your fiberhood, we will contact you to schedule a meeting. At this time, we will evaluate the network engineering required to install your site and ask you to select your service demarcation (either Fiber Jack or Network Box, as outlined above). We will conduct a site survey, and then send networking designs for your approval before beginning installation.

https://fiber.google.com/communityconnections/

Edited by JohnC

There are allready 7 cities in TN that the local utilities provide a gigabit. Not a huge deal and as others have said, unless. You have the hardware to handle it, there is no use for it. As of last count in Chattanooga, there were only 8 residential customers taking a gigabit and none were even using it fully. Unless you move tons of data, it does you no good. Charter and comcast fight the utilities providing a gig as these utilities also provide phone and cable now at much cheaper rates.

I've thought of doing it for a month or 2 just for giggles. It's only about $10 difference from the 100MB base. My streaming player regularly displays 45MB from Amazon. I dunno if it'd go higher on GB since that particular cat5e was damaged by lightning years ago and only links to the router at 100MB. Hmmm... wonder if my router could saturate 'the gig.'

The other deciding factor to drop comcast was when they locked down their lineup to require STB's. I was on the fence about EPB and their quasi-govt operating status til then. Locking my QAM & analog tuners completely out in the cold (w/o a STB for each) tipped the field in EPB's favor.

Edited by ProfEngr

The Comcast CEO is already working on that.....

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts is an Obama golfing buddy whose political giving is 90+% Democratic.  Comcast Executive Vice President David Cohen has given upwards of $500K to Obama while raising another $2.2 million. 

r7qa7a.jpg

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts, left, and World Bank President Jim Kim, right.  August 2014

BUT Google Execs also donated to Obama during both campaigns and they donated WAY more. Comcast is about to be in the hurt locker.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/contrib.php?id=N00009638

That is the Google total bundle together as an entire organization. 

It takes CEO personal "gift" money in the $500k range to get a golf date with Barry Hussein.  :puke:

I've never seen a total, but I'm sure google has matched or overspent comcast this presidency.

http://gawker.com/5119039/google-execs-pay-150000-for-obama-bash

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/google-the-halliburton-of-the-obama-administration%E2%80%A8/

http://www.businessinsider.com/global-cash-reserves-companies-nations-2014-4

Some titan's of industry are currently so laden with cash that they are now being compared and ranked among countries when regarding cash reserves. Google currently sits just above above Canada, Sweden, and Norway. That's also 10x the cash reserves on the books of Comcast. Which doesn't sound like too much, until you remember that they are counting in BILLIONS, a hair over 55 billion in this case.

http://www.businessinsider.com/global-cash-reserves-companies-nations-2014-4

http://dealbook.on.nytimes.com/Public/Debt?symbol=CMCSA

http://www.dividend.com/how-to-invest/7-charts-to-put-corporate-cash-in-perspective/

The biggest question from investors for years has been what are Apple, Google, and Microsoft going to do with ALL that Cash. It appears Google is going spend some to make major moves in the ISP space to force competition in many markets and promote wider broadband internet adoption. (The more you surf the more they stand to make off ad revenue.)

Edited by 2.ooohhh

That is the Google total bundle together as an entire organization. 

It takes CEO personal "gift" money in the $500k range to get a golf date with Barry Hussein.  :puke:

Eric Schmidt "Executive Chairman at Google" was Obama's Campaign Adviser and spends a lot of time in the White House. Eric Schmidt is almost solely responsible for the $25 million in campaign donations that Obama received from the telecommunications industry for his 2011 campaign. The Comcast CEO is just trying to play catch up.

Edited by tennesseetiger