Any one tried the Fereral aluminum case ammo?

I bought a box of aluminum case 9mm 115 grain ammo at Wally World. Haven't shoot it yet. Any one on here shot any of it? I bought 2 boxes of the Academy Sports Monarch steel case 9mm. JUNK! I had several FTF. I won't buy any of crap again. Thanks, gearyr

What firearm were you shooting the steel case from? If I'm not mistaken Academy branded ammo is actually Barnual, and generally good quality for what it is.

I haven't shot Federal aluminum, but I've shot a ton of Blazer aluminum back when I could get it for $8/50. Never had a problem...but then again I've never had a problem with steel case either Edited by KKing
  • Like 2

Thanks for the heads up on the aluminum case ammo (and where to purchase) ,saw a few empties in 45 @ the range & wondered ? Haven't seen any since the early 90's and marveled that maybe aluminum 22 would show up before too long.. I've still got a few 50 count boxes of steel cased Russian Junior brand greasy 22's waiting for the day that ?

The Federal Aluminum 9mm seems to work just as well as the Federal/Blazer brass for the couple of boxes I've used, however it does look like the case mouths were not expanded enough when the bullets were seated...there is a noticeable bulge on many of them.

Also I could only get 16 rounds into a Mec-Gar 17 round S&W 5900 magazine but 17 rounds of brass would load.  Maybe it had to do with those bulges or maybe the aluminum case is a hair thicker.

Either way, at the same price as Russian steel-cased it's a good choice.

Edited by Garufa

I tried to shoot the Monarch steel case out of my Taurus PT111 G2. It wasn't the pistol. Had 4 to 6 out of 100 rounds that did not go off. The rest did fire. I had a similar experience with Wolf steel case ammo. It was 45 ACP out of my Ruger P90. So I will not buy any more steel case pistol ammo. Thanks, gearyr

I tried to shoot the Monarch steel case out of my Taurus PT111 G2. It wasn't the pistol. Had 4 to 6 out of 100 rounds that did not go off. The rest did fire. I had a similar experience with Wolf steel case ammo. It was 45 ACP out of my Ruger P90. So I will not buy any more steel case pistol ammo. Thanks, gearyr

Really? My P90 would eat anything I fed it, strange to hear that one.