AAC Suppressor... Bad idea from a warranty/future customer service perspective?

Guest mechanically

Guest mechanically

The TiRant 9 seems to get good reviews, and are going for a really good price in some places lately. (Silencershop has them at $400, including your choice of piston.)

But, with The Freedom Group (AAC's parent company) being so stupid lately, am I going to kick myself if I ever need some sort of service from them years from now? Or, is the AAC name worth enough that there will always be someone standing behind it?

Armchair quarterbacking welcome here. 

Guest mechanically

Eeeerrrrr... Hang on....

I just realized the AAC isn't multi-rated for 22lr. 

Nevermind. 

Looks like the Huntertown G9 is my best bet. I know they're not as sexy as some, but price really is a factor in this first-time experiment. 

Eeeerrrrr... Hang on....

I just realized the AAC isn't multi-rated for 22lr. 

Nevermind. 

Looks like the Huntertown G9 is my best bet. I know they're not as sexy as some, but price really is a factor in this first-time experiment. 

Bad idea.  Huntertown has terrible customer service and I'm surprised they are still in business.

You can shoot 22lr through the Tirant, no problem.  It is user serviceable.  It does however, have aluminum baffles which are more difficult to clean than other materials.  The octane has stainless baffles which can be cleaned with easier methods.

The Tirant for $400 is a hell of a deal.  I happened to find one for $349 during holiday deals from Quiet Riot.

Edited by samson7x
  • Like 1

What issues with HA has anyone had. I have two and haven't had a single issue from either one.

Primarily customer service, lack of response, poor performance with centerfire cans, etc.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/439749_HTA_762_can.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/439689__330_SilCo_Sparrow_instead_of_Huntertown_Arms_Guardian_22_Suppressor____.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/423275_PSA__Huntertown_arms_customer_service_sucks.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/439593_Recommended_replacements_for_my_crappy_HTA_cans.html

I ordered the ti-rant 9 from silencer shop before chrismas for $400 plus got a $200 coupon for the AAC store that I plan to use for the 762-sd. It's priced at $650 so after the 200 off I'll have the 9 and 7.62 for under $900 - Not counting stamps of course. Talked with Nick at aac a lot about my purchases and they were really helpful. Ordered their 9" mpw too, so I guess you could say I'm a fan.

From my understanding, the promo can not be applied to other cans.  Is that not correct?  I'm currently waiting on my promo code from the T9 I ordered. 

Edited by samson7x
I've got the Tirant45, evo9, and the element and element 2 from AAC.
The octane9, osprey45, ss sparrow, and the spectre 2 from silencerco.
My favs in both build and noise reduction and ease of maintenance are the ones from Silencerco. Although the elements are awesome. I have a saker 7.62 waiting on a stamp now. I have others, but these are my favs.

One word of caution, go ahead and buy a good quality 22 rim fire can. Spectre 2, sparrow, or elements are my choices. They are easy to clean. Rim fire is notoriously dirty and will need to be cleaned. The ones I mentioned are stainless and can be dipped, blasted, or tumbled. That's another thread.

Silencerco has killer customer service and is a solid company. They do a lot of PR for the NFA industry. I'll keep buying cans from them.

The octane9 is my goto 9mm can right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have first hand experience with AAC customer service, and it was 2 weeks ago I used them funny enough. I got one of the bad un-heat treated latches on my SDN6 from a long time ago and the teeth finally worn down and wouldnt lock the can to the muzzle device. So, they paid shipping to them, and return shipping to me. And I had it within a week of sending it off. Was amazed how fast it came back, like seriously amazed. They did great. And my can looked like crap from me beating on it hard. All scratched up and what not. Came back looking like it was brand spanking new without a mark on it. So, moral of the story, don't underestimate AAC's customer service. Was top notch in my book.

I've got the Tirant45, evo9, and the element and element 2 from AAC.
The octane9, osprey45, ss sparrow, and the spectre 2 from silencerco.
My favs in both build and noise reduction and ease of maintenance are the ones from Silencerco. Although the elements are awesome. I have a saker 7.62 waiting on a stamp now. I have others, but these are my favs.

One word of caution, go ahead and buy a good quality 22 rim fire can. Spectre 2, sparrow, or elements are my choices. They are easy to clean. Rim fire is notoriously dirty and will need to be cleaned. The ones I mentioned are stainless and can be dipped, blasted, or tumbled. That's another thread.

Silencerco has killer customer service and is a solid company. They do a lot of PR for the NFA industry. I'll keep buying cans from them.

The octane9 is my goto 9mm can right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments on those cans. That helps me a lot. I'd like to get a better 22 can, and looking towards a 9mm to interchange between the G19, M&P 9 and the PPQ.

If I can make sure all the thread sizes match up on them and the can. That seems to be the hardest information to determine for me.

Thanks for the comments on those cans. That helps me a lot. I'd like to get a better 22 can, and looking towards a 9mm to interchange between the G19, M&P 9 and the PPQ.

If I can make sure all the thread sizes match up on them and the can. That seems to be the hardest information to determine for me.

Not sure how much you know about cans, but on pistol suppressors you can switch pistons to be able to use different thread pitches.  Pistons can be purchased for around $ 60-70 and you can find most in stock at silencershop.com.

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/category/accessories/pistons-and-mounts/

Edited by samson7x
I have just recently started really looking into and researching suppressors. From what I have read, AAC took a downturn for awhile, but is coming back now and as good as they ever were. They just came out with a few new cans at SHOT show this year, including an eccentric 9mm can. Rumor has it that they will be making and selling the Honey Badger to the public.

OK...now I'm lost again. lol No, I didn't know that. All I've had is a little no-name I bought as a package deal form an East Tennessee Gun shop/Volunteer Ordnance a couple of years ago.

I'll try to explain a little better using the tirant as an example.  The rear of a pistol can, Tirant in this case, designed for tilt barrels (Glock, M&P, etc.) will have a removable rear endcap which houses the piston and spring.  The spring is needed to cycle pistols with barrels that tilt.  The piston is the part that is threaded for the barrel and goes inside the spring.  These pistons can be swapped out for different thread pitches.  I hope that makes a little more sense.

I'll try to explain a little better using the tirant as an example.  The rear of a pistol can, Tirant in this case, designed for tilt barrels (Glock, M&P, etc.) will have a removable rear endcap which houses the piston and spring.  The spring is needed to cycle pistols with barrels that tilt.  The piston is the part that is threaded for the barrel and goes inside the spring.  These pistons can be swapped out for different thread pitches.  I hope that makes a little more sense.

Yes, thank you. It does.
I called them directly. The codes are good for anything you can add to your cart. Firearms & suppressors are not on the list. Uppers, parts, clothing are all fair game.
The Element 2 is 22mag rated. Wating on a Form3 to clear on one now.
I had a baffle strike on a brand new m2-2000. 1st shot through it. They sent a shipping label & had it repaired and in my hands in under 2wks. I'd say customer service & warranty is spot on.

I called them directly. The codes are good for anything you can add to your cart. Firearms & suppressors are not on the list. Uppers, parts, clothing are all fair game.
The Element 2 is 22mag rated. Wating on a Form3 to clear on one now.
I had a baffle strike on a brand new m2-2000. 1st shot through it. They sent a shipping label & had it repaired and in my hands in under 2wks. I'd say customer service & warranty is spot on.

That's what I thought...promo excludes suppressor and receivers.

Curious, did you find out what caused the baffle strike?

Guest mechanically
Thanks for the help gang!

Budget was a primary concern for me on this first round... I'd love to have a dedicated 22 can, but it'll have to wait for the time being.

I'm still not sure I want to run .22 through an AAC can, since it would be obvious when opened up and likely create issues with a warranty, if I ever needed to make a claim.

So, if HA doesn't have the service I'd hoped for, that rules out both HA and AAC.

Since those are the budget options I'm aware of, now we're into "regular" priced cans.

If I'm going to spend as much as a Silencerco, (and I do like their stuff and all the advocacy they're doing...) I think I'd rather keep my dollars local-ish and go with a Liberty Mystic. I hear they have great support, and a 30 minute drive will bring me to their doorstep.

Woof. This is getting expensive! Edited by mechanically