New gun for my son...

Justonce

My Son has the Youth Rossi Matched Set Trifecta. 22,20 Gage and a .243 barrel. He has had it since he was 7. He started on the .243 around 8 . I hand load the round or you can use commercial. The .243 is a great round.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=82

He is 15 now. It has been a fantastic set up, plus a slew of chilchildrene shot his setup when we were at Family hunting trips.

It came with a case and was around $300.00 at Academy I believe.

Edited by R1100R
.223 is about as low recoil in a center fire rifle you will find. I have the Mossberg MVP in 223; it’s pretty soft shooting, high quality, and close to your price range.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/76665/Mossberg+MVP+VAR+24+HB+223+LAM+10RD

I don’t know if this scope is okay or junk, but this might be a pretty good deal on a shorter barrel package.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79797/Mossberg+27715+MVP+10%2B+1+223REM+18.5"+Predator+wScope

As far as the age thing, there is no line in the sand.  I see people at the range regularly that have NO BUSINESS in the vicinity of a weapon.  Many MANY so called adults are far too incompetent to handle a firearm.  Conversely, I have seen a fair few young'uns with more maturity and personal responsibility than the two adults that propagated them.

As a parent the responsibility of defining that is solely up to you.  

Had I a child that displayed both the interest and proper attitude, I would have no qualms about introducing them to whatever firearm they showed interest in.  Especially with respect to a single shot.  The diminutive size of a rimfire doesn't make it any safer.  

My daughter has been accompanying me to the range since most of her life. She was four when we started working with her single shot .22LR. I think she was six the first time I let her shoot a single action .22LR revolver, and last year right before her eighth birthday she asked to shoot my AR.

I agree, it depends on the child, the aptitude and the interest.

BUT...

My daughter has never pulled the trigger on anything without me being a step away and paying close attention.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I'd suggest an AR as well. Adjustable stock, light weight, and he'll enjoy it for a lifetime. He can also add to it, or change it to his liking as the years go by.

It took you a while to get on the AR bus, but you sure got all the way on when you did.

We're glad to have you. :)
  • Like 1

As a father of 4 boys under the age of 11, 22LR and a 410 is the only way to go say until they are 14 or 16.  With that said, just get a 22LR lever action rifle.  Those are just fun.  At this age its about fun, its about shooting cans, shooting at squirrels, shooting at walnuts, and shooting at trees.  The high power stuff are from grown ups.

That's the truth. I fully expect to see wood stocks and a lever hanging off of yours one of these days.

My TGO receiver set would have walnut furniture, but I couldn't find any in stock....and that handguard would take a whole lot of filing were I to make them by hand.

Edited by gregintenn

How about a 16" Rossi 92 in .357? Small, light and still one shot at a time. Start him out on .38s and work your way up. 

What I would do is find a beater butt stock on one of the auction sites cheap and cut that. Then put the original back on when he grows into it.