How cheap can you build an AR?

A.J. Holst

I don't have one, as I don't really "need" one, but I may be selling something to fund one...

Thanks to Dolo's reviews, I am looking at the M&P series, a lot of bang for the buck for what appears to be a pretty good quality rifle.

So there is the price point and "bench mark" and I not opposed to buying used.

I saw recently Ruger introduced their AR 556 in the low $7's

Soooo, with the wealth of information, experience and foraging already done by you guys and gals, can I build a quality AR for a substantially lower price than buying a reputable brand name out of the box?

Edited by Gotthegoods

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-carbine.html

This doesn't sound too bad if you'd prefer one already put together. Free shipping too! It'll save you some $$$ by not buying the tools to build one.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/deals/ar-15-sale/ptac-ar15-blackhawk-complete-lower-receiver.html

$129

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/ptac-16-mid-length-5-56mm-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

$299

There'd be one for $428 without shopping hard.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by gregintenn

My first (and only) AR came out just slightly less than what I could have bought an M&P Sport for at the LGS, but it was cheaper than if I had bought the stock gun and then switched out the grip and stock for what I used on mine.  So it wasn't really that much cheaper, but I consider it much cheaper than an upgraded version of what I was looking to buy.  

Also, there is a certain satisfaction to buying 90% of a gun through the internet with no background check.  It makes Progressive Liberals weep.  I carried around pictures of my new gun to show relatives at Christmas.

• Like 1

To me it's cheaper (at a time) to build. Meaning I can't always afford to buy a 7 or 8 hundred dollar rifle. But I can usually afford to buy a part or two at a time until I have them all. Even if it ends up not being the cheapest way, I can afford parts more easily than a complete one most of the time. And as stated above, it's fun and very informative.

• Like 2

To me it's cheaper (at a time) to build. Meaning I can't always afford to buy a 7 or 8 hundred dollar rifle. But I can usually afford to buy a part or two at a time until I have them all. Even if it ends up not being the cheapest way, I can afford parts more easily than a complete one most of the time. And as stated above, it's fun and very informative.

Kinda like a Lay-R-away plan....huh, huh? :)

That's actually how I built mine. Bought a part here & there as I found them on sale/used & cheap & got up & running in around 4 months & well under $500
  • Like 1

^^^  This is exactly right.  I can afford to pick up a part here and there, but I can't spend the whole amount at once.  (Although I have to admit I usually manage to scrape the $$$ together quicker than I should once I've picked up the lower..)

• Like 1

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-carbine.html

This doesn't sound too bad if you'd prefer one already put together. Free shipping too! It'll save you some $$$ by not buying the tools to build one.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/deals/ar-15-sale/ptac-ar15-blackhawk-complete-lower-receiver.html

$129

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/ptac-16-mid-length-5-56mm-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

$299

There'd be one for $428 without shopping hard.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't really want to buy special tools for one-time-use...

That new Ruger has really got my attention.

I recently built one for $430.  When I say built, I just put a few parts together.  Got a stripped lower for dirt cheap, then caught a cheap LPK with BT and stock on sale at PSA.  Then about two months later caught a PSA upper on sale with the BCG and charging handle.  It's cheap, but it still goes bang every time, which is exactly what I wanted.

Got a hammer, a punch, a razor blade, a screw driver, painter's tape and a clamp/vise of some sort?

The stock wrench/spanner is the only specialty tool, and it is cheap, and nice to have. I think I paid $6 for mine at the gunshow.

I have built several now with a c-clamp and the tools mentioned above. Takes less than an hour.

If you go with some specialty items, like Magpul trigger guards or KNS pins you will need hex keys too.

These would not require tools. Complete upper and lower. Just plug and play. And add a rear sight.

However, if you do happen to want to piece it together, I have the tools. I'm pretty particular about loaning tools, but I might make an exception. :) Or better yet, we could get together and assemble it. I've done several and haven't blown myself or anyone else up, yet.
  • Like 1

These would not require tools. Complete upper and lower. Just plug and play. And add a rear sight.

However, if you do happen to want to piece it together, I have the tools. I'm pretty particular about loaning tools, but I might make an exception. :) Or better yet, we could get together and assemble it. I've done several and haven't blown myself or anyone else up, yet.

Thank you to all you guys for the offer of tools and assistance, this is definitely the best place on the 'net!

I'm in the Knoxville area.

Got to sell a pistol before I buy anything or I'll be a well armed homeless man.
  • Like 1

I must say that GTG is a great guy and someone I am pleased to call a friend.

I'm with you on the "Got to sell a pistol before I buy anything or I'll be a well armed homeless man"... I have to dodge that bullet myself. :cool:

While I've not built an AR, one of my shooting buds has built several. I'd happily "volunteer" him to help LOL. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to, and he's local to us as well. Just let me know.

• Like 1