ATI, Tisas, RIA, etc.

DrCoxx122

Alright, I've read a lot of forums about 1911's, budgets, etc. but I was never in the market.  Now that I'm in the market I don't want to sift through the forums, so I figured I'd start my own.

I'm on a STRICT $500 budget (wife...) so I started with Rock Island Armory.  Everyone I've talked to has said good things about them.  In my search friends of mine mentioned other budget 1911's, Tisas for instance.  I saw a forum from TankerHC who HATED Tisas.  He's been banned since, so I don't know if I can trust his opinion.  Everyone else I've talked to has said good things about them, though.

Tonight I was at Academy looking at ammo and started browsing guns, and when I started browsing a guy mentioned American Tactical Imports.  I checked their website and saw THEIR prices, but then I checked Buds and couple other places and saw really decent prices.  I haven't read a ton of reviews but what I read is good.

Honestly, I can get a really decent Rock Island for under $500 and still have money for a nice holster, but if I can save a little and be able to buy some hardware to upgrade why not?  So, what does everyone think?

If your goal is a rock bottom bare bones stock 1911 without a lot of fit & finish then the ATI is your dish. But if you want the better fit & finish & appearance of a more visually appealing gun then go RIA. So my advise is go for the nicer of the two if it's within the reach of your budget or simply wait a bit longer, set aside a few extra dollars and then get what you want.   

In case no one mentioned Rock Island....

If you're in Nashville see what Bellshire Hardware on Dickerson Pike can do for you (if they're still open).  I got one of my Rocks from there several years ago at a very nice price.

Yes, Phil is still going strong. Strangely though, he doesn't seem to get mentioned around here as much anymore.

• Like 1

In case no one mentioned Rock Island....

If you're in Nashville see what Bellshire Hardware on Dickerson Pike can do for you (if they're still open).  I got one of my Rocks from there several years ago at a very nice price.

You beat me to it Garufa. They had the best prices around, I drove all the way up there from Dunlap. Well worth the drive.

I haven't seen him on Gun Broker

Edited by crossfire