ATI, Tisas, RIA, etc.

DrCoxx122

Or you could shop around and pick up something like this. It's a Springfield Armory Mil Spec with adjustable sights, a just a hair over 4lb trigger job and an ambidextrous safety. I got the pistol, 1 mag and the plastic case for $350?

cae402b3b187efeda98ee043c8484d28.jpg

Edited by Moped
  • Like 2

Or you could shop around and pick up something like this. It's a Springfield Armory Mil Spec with adjustable sights and a just a hair over 4lb trigger job. I got the pistol, 1 mag and the plastic case for $350. ?cae402b3b187efeda98ee043c8484d28.jpg

Hard to beat at that price, you did good!

• Like 2

Alright, I've read a lot of forums about 1911's, budgets, etc. but I was never in the market.  Now that I'm in the market I don't want to sift through the forums, so I figured I'd start my own.

I'm on a STRICT $500 budget (wife...) so I started with Rock Island Armory.  Everyone I've talked to has said good things about them.  In my search friends of mine mentioned other budget 1911's, Tisas for instance.  I saw a forum from TankerHC who HATED Tisas.  He's been banned since, so I don't know if I can trust his opinion.  Everyone else I've talked to has said good things about them, though.

Tonight I was at Academy looking at ammo and started browsing guns, and when I started browsing a guy mentioned American Tactical Imports.  I checked their website and saw THEIR prices, but then I checked Buds and couple other places and saw really decent prices.  I haven't read a ton of reviews but what I read is good.

Honestly, I can get a really decent Rock Island for under $500 and still have money for a nice holster, but if I can save a little and be able to buy some hardware to upgrade why not?  So, what does everyone think?

Last month I was in the same boat as you . Wanting a cheaper 1911 that would function relaibly but not with the big price tag. I chose the Rock Island Armoy "GI" model. It is plain with no extra features. I love it . Here is the link to the thread I made and it has the picture.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/84996-got-a-all-metal-gun-that-ill-keep/

Last month I was in the same boat as you . Wanting a cheaper 1911 that would function relaibly but not with the big price tag. I chose the Rock Island Armoy "GI" model. It is plain with no extra features. I love it . Here is the link to the thread I made and it has the picture.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/84996-got-a-all-metal-gun-that-ill-keep/

That's exactly what I want!  I want something super basic, GI looking, no bells or whistles, but if I want to I can mod it up a little.  I'm in talks about something.  As soon as I get something I'll post it here!

• Like 1

That's exactly what I want!  I want something super basic, GI looking, no bells or whistles, but if I want to I can mod it up a little.  I'm in talks about something.  As soon as I get something I'll post it here!

The only problem with going with a GI is once you start wanting to sup it up a little, that front site is going to be a problem, because it's part of the slide.  I would go with the RIA Target, which comes with a front sight that is removable.  That way you have a good basic pistol that you can modify up to what you think you like later on.  There are lots of modifications you can do to a 1911. 

I will say that RIA GI looks just like the original!  That's a nice liking pistol!

Springfield MillSpec is a mid 500.00 1911,usa made and have a proper 70 series 1911 trigger system ..... 

and they are excellent platforms for upgrading later 

No offense but I have never seen a new  Springfield Armory Mil-Spec  in the $500 range since 2004  . I just got one a few months ago and it was at a good price but no where near $500 . Where did you see them new for mid $500 ?

Springfield MillSpec is a mid 500.00 1911,usa made and have a proper 70 series 1911 trigger system ..... 

and they are excellent platforms for upgrading later 

I've only seen one mil-spec Springfield 1911 in .45 around $500 recently, and it was a private seller who has a dungeon full of guns that he doesn't even shoot.  Even then he had to be haggled down, and the deal ended up falling through.  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I'm more curious, because if you know where I can find one like that I'd love it.

• Like 1

Honestly on the FB sites I belong to, I've not seen one for less than $550.

I got really lucky with my deal.  A guy at work mentioned he was going to sell his.  I asked him what he wanted and he said without thinking $350 and with no hesitation I said, I will take it.  Left work and went to the bank immediately and came back and gave it to him.  He brought the pistol to me the next day. He told me later that he really meant to ask $550, but a deal was a deal, and he wouldn't go back on it.  Pretty stand up in my book.  I gave him 200 rounds of 45acp at a match we were shooting in, the next saturday, just to ease his pain a bit.

I've only seen one mil-spec Springfield 1911 in .45 around $500 recently, and it was a private seller who has a dungeon full of guns that he doesn't even shoot.  Even then he had to be haggled down, and the deal ended up falling through.  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I'm more curious, because if you know where I can find one like that I'd love it.

520.00 at grabagun ,out of stock as we speak ,maybe it was a sale at the time ?

Buds is 620 ,but I have seen mid 500s a few times...Good luck

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Go with the rock and get a wolff performance spring package http://www.midwayusa.com/product/385954/wolff-performance-spring-pack-1911-officer-fits-colt-officer-only-with-standard-factory-guide-rod
That's for a officer model I know (you see where my recent priorities were).
Add a Wilson titanium firing pin and call it a day. Leave the trigger job and sight upgrades for when you can afford it (milspec builds character) because, let's be honest, that "cheap" 1911 is going to shoot better out of the box than most of us can anyway.

Happy hunting

Out of the 13 or 14 1911s I have owned I have had 3 Armscor RIAs:  .38 Super, 9mm and .45.  They all ran well out of the box.  At the time I had the .38 Super I ran across a 9mm 1911 barrel/pin/link from SARCO for 49.99, ordered it, dropped it right in to the .38 Super and commenced to firing.  I couldn't believe it.  At the range I found no discernible difference between shooing a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 vs the RIA 9mm, but then none of the major manufacturers have asked me to shoot for them:)  If it were me I would get the RIA Tactical so that at some later date you can fit better sights if you want to.  If you get the GI model and you decide you want better sights you will have to pay someone to cut dovetails in your slide and between sights and the machining you would be better off with the slightly more expensive RIA Tactical. I don't know which sight cuts the RIA Tactical has but I'll bet there are some after market sights that will fit. 

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 2

C

I got a screaming deal on a Citadel 9mm and ordered the 38 super parts from Rock Island. Couldn't be happier.

Congrats. I've been thinking about the same thing for my RIA GI. Did sight upgrades on it. A trigger job from Sam Hoster.

Now she's pretty great in 9mm, but would like to try the 38 super in it.