New guy in Atoka

Hi all, just moving to TN from CA.  Navy orders and all.  I have been here 3 weeks and already love it!  Question on shooting here, in CA there is loads of BLM land, I can find nothing here.  Where does one go to shoot?  Do you have to go to an official range, or will general public land suffice?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there is a range up in the Dyersburg. We also have a large club here in the burbs of Memphis on the NE side of the city.

The club is called MSSA Memphis Sport Shooting Association. For you it'd be about a 1/2 ride to the range. I think active duty guys might

be able to shoot either cheaply or free. Bo sure. If you're in Atoka I gather you're working at Millington?  From Millington it's around a 15 min ride.

You might ask around at work if anyone shoots at MSSA.

We have skeet, trap, 5 stand, wobble wheel, sporting clays, 3 gun, ipsc, cowboy action shooting, silhouette RF, CF and BP, 7/15 yd slow fire, a 25/50 yd range, 2-100 yd ranges, a 200/300 range and a 200/300/400/500/600 yd range.  There's more like archery, even an axe and knife throwing range. No .50 Cals from Mr. Browning as we don't want someone killing the neighbors dog 2 miles away after the round goes through the berm. .338's and pretty much anything else is welcome. 

Edited by Lowpower

Congratulations on your escape from Calif. and welcome to Tn. neighbor.   I spent my last tour of duty here and decided not to leave.

In answer to your question, there just isn't too much public land around here so finding a place to shoot can be a challenge. There are several indoor ranges for handguns but I only know of one full service range and that is out on Old Brownsville rd. in Bartlett and it's rather pricy but they do have everything.   http://www.memphis-ssa.com/

Thanks for the welcome, and I will look into those ranges, I am here on what should be my last tour, and so far I am not all that inclined to leave either...  I guess when I buy a place it is going to have to have some acreage....

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome. I'm new to the forum as well. I live in Tipton county as well. I've had some good luck with getting to know some land owners and getting permission to shoot on their land. People here are pretty friendly and as long as you are safe and clean up after yourself you should be able to line up a regular spot

Sent from this handheld gadget thingy