After 15 years....gonna start deer hunting again. Coyote too.

Since I retired this past fall and have so much time to do stuff, I've decided to take up deer hunting again. I hunted for many years and quit after all of the land I hunted on was converted to expensive hunting leases. I've recently found a good lease that is within my budget so I guess I'll drag the towel back outta the ring.  My question is this. I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum and I'm thinking about adding a scope and hunting with it but I'm undecided on scope or open sights.  The area I'll be hunting is pretty danged thick and I'll probably have to cut a few shooting lanes. I can't imagine a shot over 50 yards, so my thinking is the 44 might be great for deer in this situation.  If anyone has hunted deer with a 44 magnum rifle I'd really appreciate some input on what you think of this caliber and what experiences you've had with it.

While I'm at it, I'd like to ask some of you coyote hunters what caliber do you use to hunt them?  I'm thinking about that too. Are the Savage Axis rifles any good? I saw some of them at the gun show this weekend and they looked pretty nice for the $$$.  I was thinking about one of those in maybe a 243, but that caliber ammo seems to be rather limited. What do ya'll think?

Thanks..!!

Randall

Edited by Randall53
I don't know much about the 44 magnum so can't say much about that. I yote hunt with a AR15 16" barel 1-9 twist the optic is a nikon p223 3x9 shooting a 60 gn hornady holow point or 63 gn speer soft point have great success with this setup so far the longest shoot I have took was right at 200 yards

I used a 243 for varmints years ago and it worked great. Only issue was that boy was it loud. I bet a 44 would take down a yote as well!! Elmer Keith used a 44 pistol for about anything you can think to hunt.

Edited by seez52
  • Like 1
You might consider a "Scout Scope" setup.
I did one on a Marlin 30/30

I really prefer Aperture sights but the scope gives you a substantial edge in first and last light.
That said, I might take the Scope off this year.

The Scout scope is set farther from your eye....you can use a pistol scope for it...gives nice peripheral vision which is good in thick/shorter range woods.

I loaded my own Varmint loads for 30/30 but haven't seen any Coyote when I had it
I think a 44 lever gun is about perfect for the type of cover you describe. If you shoot the iron sights well, I would just stick with them. If you want a scope, the scout scope is a good suggestion. A fixed 4power or a 3-9x40 would also work. I haven't taken a deer with 44mag yet, but I have a revolver that a carry to the tree stand on occasion.

the 243 has a ton of choices on bullets from deer to varmits. its 1 of the most accurate caliburs that can take 55g-105g bullets .winchester markets a 55g pushing 3910fps or so. 223 cant hang with it but ammo is cheaper. 44 mag under 100y is a good deer round from a rifle. low recoil offers fast follow up shot with the 243. fixed power works very well in thick area's. have fun and good luck picking just 1 rifle to do any thing :)

Have hunted and killed deer with a 44 mag Ruger revolver, from 15 ft to 75 yards. All one shot kills using open sights, so yes the 44 mag will kill deer. I've been looking at a savage axis xp 19174 in .223 rem as my coyote gun, Have a Bar in 7mm mag but am getting to old for the recoil. That thing will put a tatoo on you if you don"t really hold it tight. A .243 is also a good flat shooting bullet that would be good for coyotes or deer.

I would say that with a .44 & either .223 or .243, you're set up to hunt anything in the state.
I often hunt deer with a .44mag (or .45 colt) & up to 100yds I can't imagine much that'll kill a deer deader. I went with open sights myself, but a Williams peep sight is honestly a better choice. I have one on my .30-30 & I'm way more accurate, whilst giving up nothing in speed on target.

My preference for coyote is .223, simply because it doesn't tear up the hide so much & I try & salvage them where I can. However, anything over a .22 kills 'em doornail dead if you put it in their ear under 100yds! A .22mag opens up coyote hunting on WMA land too & is absolutely deadly with head/neck shots.

I've found the .44 (& .45 loaded to .44 pressures) to be very much a 'bang-flop' deer round. Just make sure to use a suitable bullet. Pushing a self defense style hollowpoint out of an 18" barrel could lead to case separation. Winchester makes a very, very good 240gn softpoint that gets 1680fps out of my 16" 336 Edited by robtattoo