How's the weather where you are?

Raoul

And earlier today I was stuck behind some dumb-*** from Michigan who was blocking both lanes doing 30mph (it was raining and there's some slush)

Unless you have studded tires, everything is pretty much useless on ice.  For wet or snow covered roads, I'd rather have a 2WD with new tires than a 4WD with bald tires.

From what I have seen lately I don't think many drivers are worth a crap. Most of them are fooling around with their Iphone or their droid or whatever device of the day is. Put the *&^% thing down and pay attention. Use the left lane for passing then get your butt over, use your turn signals for the way you have decided to go. Know the difference in yield and merge. I think most drivers got their license at wally world on sale!!! I'm thru for now.

• Like 3

I was born behind enemy lines (people's republic of MA) and wasn't able to escape for the first 18 years. Now, 16 years later, I can happily tell you that Yankees have far more trouble in this crap than most TN folk. Note: idiot rednecks who floor it around corners in big RWD vehicles are not included.

1. Yankees have far more experience driving on treated roads, and the untreated roads they've traveled have almost always been snow, which is easy and gives a fair amount of traction. They have little experience with ice or untreated roads. Oh, your granolamobile can drive on plowed, salted, sanded roads? Tell me more. 

2.  They're almost always so bound and determined to demonstrate that the natives are inept and lacking in winter driving wisdom that they drive around, and subsequently wreck, when everyone else has the good sense to just stay home. 

3.  Unfortunately, the reverse once played to the North's advantage; the South was doing right well in the War until we got a half inch of snow, then everyone lost their minds and went home. 

We unwashed slobs are so fortunate to have you in this state to teach us how to drive.   :bored:

I mean northerners never wreck right. They carry a magical wand that gives them the power to control their vehicle on solid ice

6AC6045D-C7F6-45B0-8F4B-92ED555ED0B3_zps

And yes I grew up in WV, I've driven in plenty of snow. It's simply a lack of experience for southerners. I take pride in the lack of wintery precip, I hate the stuff

I have learned over the years that people in general are crappy drivers. Most cant drive a simple stick and even less know the limitations of the vehicles they drive.  I have grown up around cars and driving a ton of different ones. On rain, shine or snow. Its not so much about a car being 4x4 or AWD as much as its the person behind the well. I have seen countless times people panic and cause a crash. My mom was one of them. Not to bash everyone, but 96% of drivers out there would automatically slam on the breaks when they lose a little bit of traction.  I am by no means a great driver, but I consider myself above the cattle that drive out on the roads.  :) 

It also helped that when I was learning how to drive, my dad forced me to take on every scenario possible. From heavy rain, to ice and even mud.

Have I mentioned that I'm tired of this crap weather? It's 37 deg and foggy. Humbug.

It's above freezing, I'll take it. :pleased:

BTW: Have I mentioned that I'm tired of the Weather Channel?  Every time I turn it on, there's a reporter in Boston, and they're talking about the inch of snow they just got or the next potential storm. :bored:

a big melt is on.  46 degrees here now.

Shoveled most of the slop off the deck and steps.   Driveway is a wreck waiting to happen.  Not much I can do about a 1/4 mile of gravel.  Basically pick two ruts and stay in them.  Gun it like hell to get out on the street, well for the warden anyway.  4x4 is a big plus.

• Administrator

I went out and shoveled slush and ice off the driveway to make it passable on foot.  A few hours later and what I hadn't shoveled has started to melt away in earnest.

Moral of the story:  Should've had a beer and watched it melt from inside the house.

• Like 1

I went out and shoveled slush and ice off the driveway to make it passable on foot. A few hours later and what I hadn't shoveled has started to melt away in earnest.

Moral of the story: Should've had a beer and watched it melt from inside the house.

I thought about shoveling the slush yesterday. It's mostly gone today. Sometimes laziness pays. :)

But it's even foggier now than this morning. :/

. Edited by peejman
  • Administrator

So how many people busted their backsides on the ice this past week? I have to admit I ate it hard in the middle of I65 while working.

Took a knee in a surprisingly controlled fashion while walking down the hill through the yard on Tuesday to check the mail.  Pretty much stayed down on that knee for most of the slide down to the mailbox.

When I got there, I noticed a guy from the county doing inspections at a house under construction across from me was watching the whole ordeal with a grin on his face.  He asked me if I meant to do that, then promptly busted his own ass on the ice he was walking across.

I should have asked him if he meant to do that but kindness found it's way out of my face-hole and I instead asked if he was alright.

I surprise myself sometimes.

• Like 5

Took a knee in a surprisingly controlled fashion while walking down the hill through the yard on Tuesday to check the mail. Pretty much stayed down on that knee for most of the slide down to the mailbox.

When I got there, I noticed a guy from the county doing inspections at a house under construction across from me was watching the whole ordeal with a grin on his face. He asked me if I meant to do that, then promptly busted his own ass on the ice he was walking across.

I should have asked him if he meant to do that but kindness found it's way out of my face-hole and I instead asked if he was alright.

I guess he figured out the answer to that on his own!

And that made my night! Thanks! :rofl:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by JohnC

My kids just got a sixth day out of school.

I'm pretty sure my wife would sell them about now if a circus train came along.

Indeed.  Thankfully ours are only on a delay today.  Hopefully it'll begin to dry out. 

Took a knee in a surprisingly controlled fashion while walking down the hill through the yard on Tuesday to check the mail.  Pretty much stayed down on that knee for most of the slide down to the mailbox.

When I got there, I noticed a guy from the county doing inspections at a house under construction across from me was watching the whole ordeal with a grin on his face.  He asked me if I meant to do that, then promptly busted his own ass on the ice he was walking across.

I should have asked him if he meant to do that but kindness found it's way out of my face-hole and I instead asked if he was alright.

I believe the golf clap would have been appropriate at that moment...

29XYmgE.gif

• Like 1

the big melt yesterday was a big fail.   Our street is still rutted and has lots of now refrozen slush.  

Driveway looks like an amusement park Turnpike ride. Two 1/4 mile ruts.

Not sure we are going to get much of a melt off this week. Right about freezing is the high for the week.

I think I am going to go visit Erik.

Edited by Mike.357

So how many people busted their backsides on the ice this past week? I have to admit I ate it hard in the middle of I65 while working.

My neighbor stepped out his door on Tuesday, took one step and slid down 10steps to the sidewalk on his back. He said he was fine and asked twice to be sure. He was smiling but I imagine that was from embarrassment and not lack of pain.