Buffer tubes on AKs make an SBR ATF rules

ATF has gone and lost a bit more of their mind.

Now adding a buffer tube constitutes an NFA "firearm" unless it has the SB-15 brace attached. Notice in the definition, 5845(a)(3) , that is says adding the buffer tube to an AK makes it a SBR.

So if you ONLY have a buffer tube might be a good time to pick up some of those cheap Sig braces.

5a5nhl.jpg
2woje4w.jpg
2ikqhqc.jpg
2md52ya.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok one thing I get from this is a definite definition that a buffer tube on a AR is not a shoulder stock.

So since my buffer tube extends out the rear of my SB15 unlike the newer model, it could be argued that you are shouldering the buffer tube as long as you don't secure the brace in a way that the buffer tube is not flush with the end or covered.

You are leaving it on for later use just like you don't remove lights in the daytime.

Now adding a buffer tube constitutes an NFA "firearm" unless it has the SB-15 brace attached. Notice in the definition, 5845(a)(3) , that is says adding the buffer tube to an AK makes it a SBR.

So if you ONLY have a buffer tube might be a good time to pick up some of those cheap Sig braces.

5a5nhl.jpg
2woje4w.jpg
2ikqhqc.jpg
2md52ya.jpg

They are on a roll, the hits will keep coming. In the land of make believe there is no end.

Ludicrous of course.

1.  buffer tube on AK pistol does indeed count in legal OAL, so you can add a VFG

2.  but you must also add a SB-15 brace

3.  but of course you can't shoulder the brace

As I've said, I would have bet against 1. But then the Black Aces letter came to light not long ago where it was without comment counted into OAL of a "shotgun firearm". It's funny only the SB-15 is mentioned. How about the SBX. Or of course the SB-47, the main one sold for the AK period (there's a buffer tube in it). I guess those don't count, eh?

It has all become laughable at this point. I still say no way the ATF will prosecute anyone for any of this stuff, last thing it wants is actual case law to clarify matters. It's just a continuation of its culture of thuggish intimidation.

Hopefully its hand will be legally forced in one way or the other, and all this will lead to simply removing SBR from the NFA, the only sane thing to do in this day and time. And of course same with suppressors.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

How can anyone keep up with all the changes ? I can't even remember what I had for supper last night . 

Well, they're not really "changes" per se. Just constant barrage of "opinions" issued to individuals.

The last "open letter" from Mad Max was closer to a "change" I suppose. But none really change much of anything unless ATF enforces them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I never said I'd give me up. If I can acquire them by any means, I'll get them. And some alphabet agency isn't going to have them handed over by me.

Kind of like driving on public roads, if a cop really wanted to you could be arrested and charged for something at any given time. There are so many laws, it is impossible to obey them all.

Laws only concern me as to how much hassle I will receive from law enforcement. I was raised to know right from wrong, the law isn't always right, but I fully intend to do what is right no matter what.

The problem I see is there opinions changes whenever someone different stamps his name on the bottom of the newest letter and I guess they are trying to make a name for themselves  . When you do not have a clear , right or wrong law or ruling then it is subject to change the nextime some new dickhead gets a stamp with his name on it and starts stamping the opinion letters. OK today and a NO NO tomorrow is totally unacceptable in my opinion. But that is my opinion and it will never change. 

I still think that the whole NFA and every other ban,ruling or whatever that some numb nuts with initials for there department name comes up with is unconstitutional and we are not really required to obey unconstitutional laws . However I like living outside of the bared hotel , so I obey them as best as I can. But they keep changing the rules . Eventually if they keep it up , we are going to go to sleep as law abiding citizens and wake up as felons. 

I still have 2 pistols with braces and plan on keeping them . If this keeps up , I guess I will finally end up doing a trust and changing them to what I really wanted to start with .