Who shoots service rifles around here?

I've got an old k98 mauser that I like to shoot, as well as an m1a2. I wonder if anyone here also shoots them, do you like them better than civillian rifles, and if so, how you arrived at your preference.

I myself learned to shoot in the army, with the m16a1. I bought an old m1 garand and fell in love.

after that, just about all my rifles have been service rifles...and I cant see that changing anytime soon.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I have an old Enfield at my parents house that I have shot many many times. In fact, before I bought my Remington .30-06 pump, the Enfield was my hunting rifle... iron sights and all. ;)

Would absolutely love to own the Springfield SOCOM M1 but don't see myself spending $1700 on it anytime soon. Other than that, I have my Bushmaster M4gery which is also a ton of fun to shoot.

oof...I've seen pics of the socom m1. being into accuracy I dont know if I'd like that short barrel on it.

I spent 1100 on the m1a2..thats because my brother had pity on me:D and sold it to me for what he paid for it. I recently found out that ar's come in pink and black...because lots of women are getting into this sport...all I can say about that is ;):up::lol::up:;)!!!!

Guest Jason F.

I have really been more into shooting handguns as of late and I still will continue to do that but I used to own several surplus military rifles. I really enjoyed it.

I have my C&R paperwork in process and will be picking up a few things here and there. I used to have an old Enfield that I loved.

I also have a k98. I bought it at an auction about 5 years ago but shot it for the first time last weekend. I had hadn't had any place to shoot it but recently bought 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.

Had fun and put at least 50 rounds through it with no problems.

Guest Fastzntn

I've got a Mosin Nagant that I bought online for $80. It's a pretty powerful gun, but I need some more practice with it because I don't take it out much. The ammo is cheap, plus being a bolt action and hence not burning through ammo real quickly it's a pretty cheap gun to shoot.

My favorite rifle to shoot is the M1 Carbine. My grandfather gave it to me a few years ago. It had not been shot or cleaned in some time. Regardless, after a thorough cleaning it's been a superb shooting rifle. Very reliable and quite accurate in my opinion.

Guest witchdr

I love the old service rifles and still use them to hunt with as well as just having fun shooting them.My daughter even uses one of my SKS carbines for deer

I've got a Mosin Nagent M91/59 and 2 Schmidt-Rubin K-31's. The K-31's are probably more accurate than some of my commercial rifles. Haven't shot the MN yet. Want to work up some loads for the K-31's first. Want to try cast in them too. Also you need to be aware of Tennessee Gun Parts in Atoka over here in W. TN. They stock parts for Mosin's and K-31's and some others. All I've bought so far is some magazines and stripper clips for the Swiss rifles. Delivery was quick.

• 2 weeks later...

I see there's quite a few of us then, that collect and shoot milsurps! thats great!

I want to get an M1 Garand, next time around. I used to have one awhile back but sold it...and now I wish my leg bent the other way so I could kick myself in the pants everytime I think about doing that.

I'm thinking of picking up a Swedish 6.5 and sporterizing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Tower:

Been looking to get a M1 Garand myself. Dad lugged one around the hills of Korea, and I have thought about getting one from that era and restoring it to like new, then taking him shooting with it once he moves out this way. I'm guessing a private sale is the way to go to get a nice one, have not seen many at gun shops, etc. Any ideas?

-Len

Guest EasilyObsessed

I picked up a Yugo SKS a few weeks ago. I never knew cosmoline was such a major pain in the ass before that. Ive had it out twice now to shoot and its a blast. Not overly accurate, but cant beat the price on ammo :D

Last friday I picked up an Bushmaster AR15. It is what they call an A3. 20 inch stainless barrel and Removable carry handle. Split it with my dad, he wanted something similar to what he had when he was in the service, and I wanted something accurate at 300 yards. We both got exactly what we wanted :puke:

I think my next gun is either going to be a M1 Garand or a Mosin, depending on what the finances look like in a couple months.

For M1 Garands and Carbines, it's hard to beat the CMP now that they've actually got some carbines that will be sold to the public when they're done grading and inspecting them. As long as you're willing to do some work to fix up the weapon, (stocks are usually scratched up, bluing may or may not be in good shape, etc) it's a deal. It's how a cousin of mine got both of his M1's, best deal he ever made, two M1's for $1000 and he probably only spent another $150-200 fixing them up.

http://www.odcmp.com/

I've got a Mosin Nagant that I bought online for $80. It's a pretty powerful gun, but I need some more practice with it because I don't take it out much. The ammo is cheap, plus being a bolt action and hence not burning through ammo real quickly it's a pretty cheap gun to shoot.

My favorite rifle to shoot is the M1 Carbine. My grandfather gave it to me a few years ago. It had not been shot or cleaned in some time. Regardless, after a thorough cleaning it's been a superb shooting rifle. Very reliable and quite accurate in my opinion.

I have an old M-44 Mosin Nagant carbine made in Poland. I bought it at the Goodman gun show for $65. The dealer had a table full of them so I picked out the nicest looking one. The dealer also let me swap the bolt out with another. I took it home and tore it apart, sanded and cleaned the stock the refinished it, only could do so much though, and cleaned all the metal and re blued the worn areas and bayonet. This M.N. has the smoothest reciever and barrel than any other I have seen. I can also put all rounds in a 3" circle at 100 yds with iron sights, and bench rest. Anyway, I really like it alot, it shoots great with good ammo,(buy good ammo). It's more than enough gun for deer or just about anything else around here. It you can find them, Winchester 180 grain soft points shoots well, and newly manufactured Wolf ammo shoots decent but be careful of bulk Russian surplus ammo.

MoisenNagant.jpg

Guest Fastzntn

Where do you buy your ammo for the Mosin? I use surplus polish ammo and am not happy with how the gun shoots. I know it's not me because my groupings for the M1 are good. I have a hard time getting the Mosin to even land bullets on the paper at 50 yards.

I have never seen any Remington 7.62x54R in stores, but would definitely love to buy some. I would also like to try the Wolf out also.

I have an old M-44 Mosin Nagant carbine made in Poland. I bought it at the Goodman gun show for $65. The dealer had a table full of them so I picked out the nicest looking one. The dealer also let me swap the bolt out with another. I took it home and tore it apart, sanded and cleaned the stock the refinished it, only could do so much though, and cleaned all the metal and re blued the worn areas and bayonet. This M.N. has the smoothest reciever and barrel than any other I have seen. I can also put all rounds in a 3" circle at 100 yds with iron sights, and bench rest. Anyway, I really like it alot, it shoots great with good ammo,(buy good ammo). It's more than enough gun for deer or just about anything else around here. It you can find them, Winchester 180 grain soft points shoots well, and newly manufactured Wolf ammo shoots decent but be careful of bulk Russian surplus ammo.

MoisenNagant.jpg

I don't believe Remington makes any 7.62x54R ammo. Could be wrong, but I've never seen any. You can get it in Winchester White Box though. Which is just fine if you want new production, non-corrosive ammo for one. $17 per boxfor FMJ or soft points according to cheaperthandirt.com, they also have brass cased Wolf ammo for $13 per box.

I found the Wolf ammo at a gun store in Nashville and the Winchester at a store in Dickson, just lucked into it. The Winchester has brass casings. The old Russian surplus I have bought in the past at the gun show for a bag of 100 at $10 was junk, some rounds would lock up in the chamber after firing and thought I would break the extractor to get them out, some didn't fire at all. Must be WW2 era leftovers. I read once that the old ammo had some coating on the casing that would melt in a hot chamber and actually glue itself inside the chamber. I always thought that the casing expanded and locked itself in the chamber. Whatever it does they are no fun to extract.

Guest EasilyObsessed

This place (http://www.midwayusa.com/)has the Wolf 7.62x59R in stock. I picked up 10 boxes of the Wolf 7.62x39 for the SKS a couple weeks ago and didnt have any problems. The shipping costs suck if you order a small quantity, but if you pick up more than 5 boxes the shipping cost per box is not bad (i.e. shipping on one box is 8, shipping on 5 boxes is 10). Steel case Wolf is 8.49 a box and the brass case stuff is 13.79.

Where do you buy your ammo for the Mosin? I use surplus polish ammo and am not happy with how the gun shoots. I know it's not me because my groupings for the M1 are good. I have a hard time getting the Mosin to even land bullets on the paper at 50 yards.

I have never seen any Remington 7.62x54R in stores, but would definitely love to buy some. I would also like to try the Wolf out also.

I read on glocktalk a while back the M44 groups more accurately when the bayonet is extended, I do not know how true this is but several people said the same thing.