ATI Mil Spec .45 misfeeds

So, I got a great deal on a 1911 recently and so far I like it.  The problem is that range ammo feeds great but carry ammo (Federal hollow points) won't feed worth a darn.  I'm using the stock magazine and the first two or three rounds off the top of the 8 round magazine just won't feed.

What I've heard is that most stock 1911 magazines are pretty much garbage, even higher end ones.  I've also heard that Wilson Tactical is more or less top of the line.  Here's my question: Is this the direction should I go to replace my stock mag?  Are there other decent mags?  Are there other underlying issues with the weapon itself that might be causing these misfeeds?

I'd begin with some better quality magazines, like the Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick. I can usually find McCormicks cheaper in my local area and they run just as well as the WC's. I would also suggest trying a different SD round. I've had older guns that didn't always feed 100% with some good ammo like Federal and Hornady usually liked Remington Golden Sabers. Remember some folks will recommend over 500 rounds of ball ammunition before you start trying to feed the JHP. 

I also like Tripp Research magazines, but if it does turn out to be a magazine problem you can buy the spring and follower to rebuild your original magazines with the Tripp Research guts. I have an old Kimber mag that I rebuilt and now it is one of my most reliable magazines. Good luck!

Edited by MphsTiger1981

Polish feed ramp would be my next resonse.  Check for burrs or hard edges.  Plenty of DIY "how to" on you tube.  Or you can bring to a gun smith. These were originally Phillipino imported and were value priced for a reason.  They may be made in the US now.

• Like 1

I'd try polishing the feed ramp.  Most low end .45s are really designed to run ball ammunition (Just like John Moses designed the original 1911 to do :) ).  Then follow Mik3 .357's advice about oils and grease.  It could be the mags, but these things used to run on cheap mags.  After all, when John Moses Browning created the ultimate handgun, Wilson's momma and daddy weren't even thought about. :)

• Like 1

I'd try polishing the feed ramp.  Most low end .45s are really designed to run ball ammunition (Just like John Moses designed the original 1911 to do :) ).  Then follow Mik3 .357's advice about oils and grease.  It could be the mags, but these things used to run on cheap mags.  After all, when John Moses Browning created the ultimate handgun, Wilson's momma and daddy weren't even thought about. :)

That's about the best advice I've seen, not just this time but for most initial 1911 problems.

Feed ramps seem to be the biggest and first offenders. Especially in the ATI/RIA guns of the past.  

The current generation of RIA has been pretty good right out of the box, but things do happen.

I don't have the tools to do the polishing myself.  Does anyone know of someone in or around Nashville that can polish the feed ramp for a decent price?  I've looked at the feed ramp and it's definitely not polished, and I plan to get a couple decent mags, but the first step is the polishing.

Guest tangojuliet

I don't have the tools to do the polishing myself.  Does anyone know of someone in or around Nashville that can polish the feed ramp for a decent price?  I've looked at the feed ramp and it's definitely not polished, and I plan to get a couple decent mags, but the first step is the polishing.

just note when you do that you void the warranty 

Hm.  Alright.  Well, I'm experiencing another problem involving the hollow point feeding.

In order to get the top round to chamber I kind of have to slingshot the slide.  Even then the round doesn't chamber smoothly.  So I change out the top round each time I load it so the same round doesn't keep getting abused and pushed back into the shell.  What I'm noticing, though, is that there are dimples forming on the primers.  Not big ones, but anything at all on the primer concerns me.  Keep in mind the weapon hasn't been shot that much, so everything is still a little tight on it.  With all these issues in mind should I be concerned?

On the other hand, I'm not opposed to carrying jacketed ball ammo in the weapon if this kind of ammo is still effective.  I know carrying jacketed ammo in a .40 or a 9 mm for defensive carry can be dangerous because it doesn't always stop when it hits the target.  I also know .45 is much slower than these rounds.  Can I carry jacketed ammo in .45 for defensive carry without this kind of concern?

Try better quality mags before you try anything else as the mags they provide are very low quality. I have an ATI Titan and it misbehaved with the provided mags and ran great with Wilson and CMC mags both ball and JHP...

I'm sure all have mag issues at one time or another. The RIA GI in 9mm I have has run on every 9mm mag I've used...except the Kimber branded mags. WC, Chip McCormack,Shooting Star, some old Colt mags, and the Armscor supplied mags have all worked well in it.

Well about the only advice I will give is,

BUY A GLOCK!!! :wave:

I carry a Glock for work.  I like it, but why buy another Glock when I can get some variety?

• Like 1

I'm sure all have mag issues at one time or another. The RIA GI in 9mm I have has run on every 9mm mag I've used...except the Kimber branded mags. WC, Chip McCormack,Shooting Star, some old Colt mags, and the Armscor supplied mags have all worked well in it.

Yes you never quite know what gun will run with what mag..... But mags are where I would start and the last thing I would do is nodding of the feed ramp. Done wrong and you can ruin the frame and as commented may even void the warranty with some companies. Having owned least a bakers dozen auto's none have had any ramp work done....
Awesome. Thanks so much, everybody, for all the advice. I own a few guns, all models newer than the last twenty years or so, and I've carried them all for work. So I know them inside and out, front to back, side to side, etc. The 1911 is a different animal altogether, so to have a forum like this is really helpful.
  • Like 1

So, Chip McCormick is a good magazine?  I'm probably going to pick one up today to test it.

Yes....

Some will say that the Chip McCormick is better than the Wilson Combat. Some the other way'round. I don't have enough experience to say that, but both function well in my 1911 pistols. That's all I can ask for.

Side Note. The first time I every say a WC mag, a buddy was showing them and his Wilson pistol to me> I ejected the mag, fumbled and dropped it. He had a fit that I'd let his mag hit the ground. lol Edited by hipower
  • Admin Team

Some will say that the Chip McCormick is better than the Wilson Combat. Some the other way'round. I don't have enough experience to say that, but both function well in my 1911 pistols. That's all I can ask for.

Side Note. The first time I every say a WC mag, a buddy was showing them and his Wilson pistol to me> I ejected the mag, fumbled and dropped it. He had a fit that I'd let his mag hit the ground. lol

I've let a whole lot of Wilson Combat mags hit the dirt - and dropped more than a few in the mud.  Disassembled, thrown in the ultrasonic cleaner, lubed and reassembled, and you'd never know.

I generally consider magazines consumable-type equipment with a limited lifespan, but a good 1911 mag ought to last a long time.

• Like 1

I've let a whole lot of Wilson Combat mags hit the dirt - and dropped more than a few in the mud.  Disassembled, thrown in the ultrasonic cleaner, lubed and reassembled, and you'd never know.

I generally consider magazines consumable-type equipment with a limited lifespan, but a good 1911 mag ought to last a long time.

I never really understood his reaction. Still don't.
  • Admin Team

Sometimes, letting a mag hit the ground is a good thing.  It was only by dropping my mags that I learned that my Walther P99 mags had a tendency to turn into HK mags when dropped with any rounds still in the magazine.  I don't know what causes it, but I've got several magazines for the weapon, and they all exhibit the same tendency.  Drop a mag with 4 or 5 rounds still in it, and when you pick it up, about 50% of the time, the top round will be turned around backwards.  It's like a bad magic trick, but a behavior that I'm sure glad to know about.