If you didn't hate me already..

Erik88

Coming up on our 4th hurricane season here with zero hurricanes. Keep in mind I live inland, not on the coast.

But yes, Orlando was hit with 3 storms during 2004.  None of which caused any real damage.  Florida is long overdue for a bad hurricane. 

Lived in Kissimmee and Orlando for almost three years from early '74 to Dec '76 working for the Mouse. I loved it there, made many good friends, many of whom I still keep in touch with through Facebook, but when it was all said and done, I missed the change of seasons and was ready to move back where I could be close to the mountains again. I've never regretted that decision.

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 1

Erik I hope you noticed what happened when you kicked sand in our eyes huh? Don't stir the pot, just go quietly and have some fun in the sun. I will admit I am ready for spring here, I have a sister in Tampa and she said it was 28 one day last week.

Yes it got down in the low 30's here two nights in a row. I had to use the heat for the 3rd time since I've lived in this house. Then it bounced right back to 80 and I had to use the air last night. That's "winter" in Florida. 

• Like 1

Not to mention the fact that Florida has very different demographics now as opposed to several decades ago, but I guess that can be said of any place.

I lived in the Oak Ridge Road and SOBT area of Orlando, and it was a nice, safe (relatively) place to live then, with lots of my friends and coworkers living in the area as well, so there was never a shortage of people to carpool with or hang out with. I'm told that today it is pretty much "da hood" and someplace you want to avoid.

Edited by daddyo
ad4783bb2d499f27eed2f1f3adfe6fa3.jpg

I got out of TN for the weekend to get some relief. This one was yesterday in St. Petersburg, FL. One of my favorite restaurants down there. It was 77. Was hard to get on that plane this morning, but the TN winter is almost over!

Got home and shoveled away the slush on the driveway that I left laying last Friday and just relaxing before I go to work for a few days. Next trip in just a few days...a bit cooler, gonna go check out Niagara falls!

I also had friends in Fl. Many moved up to TN. when they retired. Taxes and car & home insurance will eat you alive down there.  I like the change of seasons here and never could get used to putting outdoor Xmas lights on a palm tree.

If you mean property tax then yes..My property taxes are $1,300 for a 1,300 sq ft house. Is that high?

My car insurance dropped when I moved to Florida so I can't agree there. My home insurance is $650 per year. I'm not sure how that compares to TN. 

Sales tax here is quite a bit lower than TN but the toll roads suck.

In general I think the cost of living is pretty comparable to TN.

Lived in Kissimmee and Orlando for almost three years from early '74 to Dec '76 working for the Mouse. I loved it there, made many good friends, many of whom I still keep in touch with through Facebook, but when it was all said and done, I missed the change of seasons and was ready to move back where I could be close to the mountains again. I've never regretted that decision.

That area is by far one of the most dangerous areas in the city. It's like "hide yo kids, hide yo wife" scary...

Also, one New Years eve I took a wrong turn and ended up behind the Amway Center in an area my black coworkers even avoid. They call it Mogadishu.

It was comparable to the areas I saw in Detroit and it's just blocks from the touristy area. 

Glad you enjoy the weather down there .I think when it snows here its very pretty and it does not bother me really.Its cold.. yeah but we have a heater and we are warm. People get their panties in a twist over flurries.I love it..lol

I am a good driver so I still go out and brave the roads ( with snowchains)..lol

we need to get some wings and a beer when you get back :) 

If you mean property tax then yes..My property taxes are $1,300 for a 1,300 sq ft house. Is that high?

My car insurance dropped when I moved to Florida so I can't agree there. My home insurance is $650 per year. I'm not sure how that compares to TN. 

Sales tax here is quite a bit lower than TN but the toll roads suck.

In general I think the cost of living is pretty comparable to TN.

I never lived in the northern part of Florida, your taxes and insurance are nothing compared to South Florida. Car insurance over $1200 a year per car, with a clean driving record and a average car or truck. Home insurance over $3500 a year, if you could get it, and they would raise it 50% a year just to get you to go elsewhere. You had to have hurricane and flood insurance even if you were 25-30 miles inland and not in a flood plain. Property taxes in Broward Co. were unreal and then you add city tax on top and you were over $3500 a year, and I was homesteaded in. The guy that bought my house had to pay over $7500/year in taxes. That was in 2005 and a 2100 sq. ft. home.

We were going to move to Clinton, Florida when we retired, but some friends put us on to Tennessee and it was a no brainer! So here we are and we love it. Hope all goes well for you and I'm glad your enjoying the beaches.

Edited by crossfire