Canning question

I bought a pressure canner a few years ago after a freezer malfunction cost us considerable $$$ in lost food. We've been canning various beans and veggies, and also soups. I know the rules about not canning extra-thick or extra-fatty soups, this is about other things.

I make sure to clean the rim before placing the lids. But during the process of cooking, most jars have some of the material leak out into the canner. After cooling I have to remove the bands and wash everything off before storing. The only path it can take is between the lid and glass. The same area I made sure was squeaky clean beforehand that now potentially has food particles in the seal area.

I'm bubbling the jars, keeping headspace, etc. It does this with everything from boiled peanuts (quarts) to taco soup (pints, I take them to work for lunch). I canned 9 pints of my award-winning chili last night, and 7 of the 9 jars had leakage. All the jars sealed.

Will it affect the seal? Is this normal? If it's not normal, how do I stop it?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

some leakage may be ok, as long as the seal is good you should be fine.  After opening I would wipe the rim of the jar just to remove any stuff that leaked out and was sealed there.

When canning is then canner full?  If not the jars might be moving around too much and splashing the contents out.  I've used jars filled with water to take up the excess space before.

Things boil out. It just happens. Headspace is probably the most important thing to watch. The only other thing is making sure the canner cools down w/o suddenly releasing pressure.

I'm going to have to check out canning boiled peanuts. Hmm....

The bouncing around issue may be the problem... I have a huge canner, but most of the time usually only have a relatively small batch. I'm limited by what I have available to can instead of canner capacity. Like the 9 pints of chili was only one layer with room for at least 2 more pints on that layer.

Possibly I should also leave a tad more headspace. I didn't think you were supposed to tighten the bands down too much beforehand because excess steam had to escape. I'll try a little tighter next time.

I'll try these things, but if leakage pre-seal is normal, it's normal. Thanks!

I do always wipe off the outside to keep the jars clean.